andrew and tori amos

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
delirium74
Road Kill
Location: springfield illinois, or the town of sporadic tornadic activity

so my husband heard a few years ago that von wanted to record a song with ms. amos, but they couldnt work well if they couldnt connect with their connectors......
any truth to this?
i mean, for me, that combination would be a wet dream come true....
...what? you mean its not a purple rooster????well crap...
post-moderne
Road Kill

Yes, they could have shared good ideas. For exemple, Toris Amos could have stopped recording albums after Boys for Pele, wich is her third now-still-available album. And mayben Under the gun would had never existed.

Seriously though, I would love to hear "cornflake girl" or "Hey Jupiter" covered by AE and Co, as it would be interesting to experience ms Amos singing, say, "Driven like the snow" or "9 while 9".
Non, non, non et non, jamais, non, négation... Oui ? Peut-être... Oui, oui, oui et oui, toujours, affirmation... Non ? Peut-être...
delirium74
Road Kill
Location: springfield illinois, or the town of sporadic tornadic activity

post-moderne wrote:Yes, they could have shared good ideas. For exemple, Toris Amos could have stopped recording albums after Boys for Pele, wich is her third now-still-available album. And mayben Under the gun would had never existed.

Seriously though, I would love to hear "cornflake girl" or "Hey Jupiter" covered by AE and Co, as it would be interesting to experience ms Amos singing, say, "Driven like the snow" or "9 while 9".

oh wow.....
ummmmm

i really would like to hear andrew and chris and ben do something really fracking cool with professional widow or maybe carbon

and i would love to hear tori do when you dont see me
or summer
or temple of love
but im wierd....
...what? you mean its not a purple rooster????well crap...
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Girl meets Boy. Full Stop.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

My recollection of the story was that Tori (who was on the same label as Von) approached him to help PRODUCE the single Cornflake Girl, before Under the Pink came out. The ever-gallant Von refused, and another opportunity was snubbed. But they met, and got on reasonably well, as far as we can tell from the outside.
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
nigel d
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

i think a picture of them together was in utr some time
i am more likely to release an album before the sisters
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

nigel d wrote:i think a picture of them together was in utr some time
see CellThree's post above ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
nigel d
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote:
look now what youve done!
youve shown everyone that i dont read the preceeding posts.
oh what an inatentive boy i am. :oops:
i am more likely to release an album before the sisters
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

nigel d wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:
:lol: ;D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
nigel d wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote: see CellThree's post above ;)
:lol: ;D
:roll: I went to all that effort too. :wink:
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Rantz
Road Kill

Actually, the Tori-Andrew connection (at least in the beginning) went like this:

I stayed with Tori while she was recording LE for 3 months during the summer at her place in Los Angeles. I had brought a bunch of my comics and CDs and general crap with me and one of the CDs was Floodland, which got played frequently, and at high volume. It became "car music" for when we were driving around, specifically Dominion and Leucritia. (hearing Tori sing the tag line "Mother Russia" is quite the thing).

Go forward a few months and Atlantic are being pricks, saying they don't know what to do with LE. (the version submitted is very different than the released one, with 6 different tracks, including the song 'take to the sky' whcih was then call "russia" and was specifically a tip of the hat to Andrew and the Sisters) Much label politcs ensues, typical industry BS, with them literally saying to Tori "We can't use you." She wants the album out, they've put money into it, so to get her out of their hair, they send her to England with the intent of having her do an EP for East/West, and if that does well, then they will release the album in the UK. There's NO intent at that time of releasing in the states.

In the UK, East/West teams her with Ian Stanley to produce the China Sessions, which puts her in contact with Andrew. (If memomry serves, Ian produced Under the Gun) Andrew was never asked to produce, but Tori and he got along well and Tori was very happy and excited to finally get to meet him since she felt that he had brought a distinct flavor to LE.

Their friendship/association was close enough that Tori had to tell me of one incident where, after Atlantic had, in the face of the East/West success said "of *course* we're going to release your album in the states, and give you a tour", the worldwide tour dates were announced. This prompted a phone call that woke Tori at 3am to "Tori... it's Andrew, why aren't you coming here on your tour?"

There is one song on Boys for Pele that was originally intended as a duet with Andrew. Things ended up so that it didn't work out, but it wasn't due to any kind of egos, or thing like that.

I keep hoping, someday that their schedules will allow for it.

but then, after seeing the Anaheim show and hearing the unrecorded songs, I really want to have a new SoM album/CD as well...
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Very interesting story....I wouldn't mind the two of them together
in a nice duet. :D

Welcome to HL :wink:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Rantz
Road Kill

Thanks for the welcome, been lurking for a while. Good to find at least one source of discussion RE: the Sisters that doesn't dissolve into 4th grade sandbox banter :) Good to be here.
pikkrong
Overbomber

welcome, that was very interesting first post! :notworthy:
do i drive
or am i driven
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Rantz wrote:
I keep hoping, someday that their schedules will allow for it.
Andrew has a SCHEDULE ??? And what would that be? Tour every two years, record a studio album every eight or so years (average), collect the royalty cheques once a month???
Chris

GMC
Road Kill

You know how many vocal takes he has to do before he's willing to give it a go with the bank teller...
Flowers on the Razor Wire.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Lol. You could be right!
Chris

Ocean Moves
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

delirium74 wrote:
post-moderne wrote:Yes, they could have shared good ideas. For exemple, Toris Amos could have stopped recording albums after Boys for Pele, wich is her third now-still-available album. And mayben Under the gun would had never existed.

oh wow.....
ummmmm

i really would like to hear andrew and chris and ben do something really fracking cool with professional widow or maybe carbon

and i would love to hear tori do when you dont see me
or summer
or temple of love
but im wierd....
you're not weird, it's an awesome idea..
Jim
Slight Overbomber

Can't remember where it is, but in one interview with Andrew he states that the working relationship never went beyond a conversation. Apparently she was thinking of using distortion on the piano, he said it wasn't a good idea, and that was that. Same interview also mentioned the abortive producing and dueting possibilites.
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Jim wrote:Can't remember where it is, but in one interview with Andrew he states that the working relationship never went beyond a conversation. Apparently she was thinking of using distortion on the piano, he said it wasn't a good idea, and that was that. Same interview also mentioned the abortive producing and dueting possibilites.
It was in the letters page of UTR - in reply to my letter asking about
Andrew and Tori working together.
AE said he had one song he thought would be perfect for her to sing.
Just another of many lost opportunities. :(
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Jim
Slight Overbomber

Show off.

:P
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"