Dominion vs Disintegration

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
lachert
Overbomber

Yesterday I listen to Cure's Disintegration, and the title track have the same rhythm as Dominion/ Mother Russia.
Don't you think so? I'm not the drumer but it's very similar and in result it's 2:0 for Sisters :eek:
Finn
Road Kill

i think alot of bands got the same drum parts, mainly because there s only some rythems you can drum, its just the arrangement of guitars, bass and vocal (or more) that make the difference.
9while9
Slight Overbomber
Location: Parts Unknown or Isle of Tonga (whichever you prefer).

Finn wrote:i think alot of bands got the same drum parts, mainly because there s only some rythems you can drum, its just the arrangement of guitars, bass and vocal (or more) that make the difference.

Listen to The Creatures, more specifically Budgie's use of percussion
and tell me that every band has similar drum parts. :idea:

I'm sure other drummers fall into the inventive category...
people help me out here? ;D
"An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why." - William Faulkner

-Me, I'm inspired by my DarkAngel.
Badlander
Overbomber

I'm really not convinced. Apart from the fact that they're both 7-8' long epics (a genre the Girls didn't invent by any means), I don't see what these two songs have in common. A drummer could put that in technical terms, which I certainly can't. But I think you worry too much. :P :lol: 8)

BTW if it's 2:0 for the Girls, what were the other tracks ? :?:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Finn
Road Kill

9while9 wrote:
Finn wrote:i think alot of bands got the same drum parts, mainly because there s only some rythems you can drum, its just the arrangement of guitars, bass and vocal (or more) that make the difference.

Listen to The Creatures, more specifically Budgie's use of percussion
and tell me that every band has similar drum parts. :idea:

I'm sure other drummers fall into the inventive category...
people help me out here? ;D
Mmmhh i dont really see your point.
I suggested a drummer has got like.. lets call it basic rythems.
And that basis is being used alot, with the result of alot of songs and bands using the same drum rythms.

I did NOT say, ALL songs in the world revolve around the same drum parts, and i did not say there were no people doing different things.

I love The Creatures and Budgie is one of my favorite drummers.
But lets take Ginger Fish (Marilyn Manson drummer) who s got no inspiration what so ever.
9while9
Slight Overbomber

Finn wrote:
9while9 wrote:
But lets take Ginger Fish (Marilyn Manson drummer) who s got no inspiration what so ever.
Good point then.. :)
And I may have jumped the gun and or tom tom...

But I'm watching you..... :twisted:
"An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why." - William Faulkner

Finn
Road Kill

:eek: and you seem like such a though guy in your avatar :eek:
Badlander
Overbomber

Finn wrote::eek: and you seem like such a though guy in your avatar :eek:
Do not worry. He's a nice guy. Ain't ya, 9n9 ? :wink: :lol: 8)
9while9
Slight Overbomber

Badlander wrote:
Do not worry. He's a nice guy. Ain't ya, 9n9 ? :wink: :lol: 8)
Well, I'm not a BASTARD
like James if that's what ya mean... :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

9while9
Slight Overbomber

I am :? though....what is a though guy :?: :wink:

Badlander
Overbomber

9while9 wrote: I am :? though....what is a though guy :?: :wink:
Tough ain't enough. :wink: :von:
James Blast
Banned

9while9 wrote:Well, I'm not a BASTARD
did someone mention my name or James'? :roll:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
9while9
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:
9while9 wrote:Well, I'm not a BASTARD
did someone mention my name or James'? :roll:
Yes James now get back to designing...... :P

I would like to see some of your work sometime?
If you'd like to share......
:notworthy:

James Blast
Banned

you wouldn't want to see the stuff I do that pays the bills :(
the bits and bobs I do on here are for fun and the love of it
but thankee 9w9 :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Road Kill

With rock and roll music, you practically have to have a song in 4/4 (which means four beats per measure, with the quarter note representing each beat, or whatever--it's just standard). Couple that with the fact that it depends pretty much on the snare hitting on the two and four, the bass hitting on 1 and 3, and a hi-hat or cymbal filling in the rest with sixteenth notes, and you get fairly similar rythyms in everything. Most bands spend their whole careers deviating little from this (I'd have to say most of the Doktor's parts pretty much follow the formula), and it seems almost pointless to try to release commercial music that doesn't follow it (people can't shop or dance to waltzes, I guess).

It's not just drums, how many bands out there just use twelve-bar blues, with a bassist hitting the root note? Also, see intro-verse-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus-outro.
If this is heaven I'm bailin' out.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Prog bands use a lot of different time signatures; probably the best known example is The Pink Floyd's Money which is in 7/4 IIRC

Tool use a lot of "non-standard" time signatures too.

Back in the early days the Doktor couldn't do anything other than 4/4 (see Doctor Avalanche's tech notes) but these days they could probably get all sorts of time signatures from him... if they wanted to.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Badlander
Overbomber

8.5 wrote:With rock and roll music, you practically have to have a song in 4/4 (which means four beats per measure, with the quarter note representing each beat, or whatever--it's just standard). Couple that with the fact that it depends pretty much on the snare hitting on the two and four, the bass hitting on 1 and 3, and a hi-hat or cymbal filling in the rest with sixteenth notes, and you get fairly similar rythyms in everything. Most bands spend their whole careers deviating little from this (I'd have to say most of the Doktor's parts pretty much follow the formula), and it seems almost pointless to try to release commercial music that doesn't follow it (people can't shop or dance to waltzes, I guess).

It's not just drums, how many bands out there just use twelve-bar blues, with a bassist hitting the root note? Also, see intro-verse-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus-outro.
Top post. :notworthy: 8)
But erm... people can't dance to waltz ? Waltz is dance music... :wink:
Maybe modern people can't do waltz. :innocent:

@ Mark : Tori Amos' Spark is pretty weird as well. I was told it was in 11/4 or even 11/7. :eek:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The Cardiacs used to do a lot of stuff in 3/4 (waltz time) now I think.

And Money is only mostly in 7/4. There's a couple of sections in 4/4 too.

@ Eric: It can't be 11/7, there's no 7th note. ;) Maybe it's some parts 11/4, some 7/4.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Badlander
Overbomber

markfiend wrote: @ Eric: It can't be 11/7, there's no 7th note. ;) Maybe it's some parts 11/4, some 7/4.
:oops: :lol:
Wilkstein
Road Kill

Yesterday I listen to Cure's Disintegration, and the title track have the same rhythm as Dominion/ Mother Russia.
Don't you think so? I'm not the drumer but it's very similar and in result it's 2:0 for Sisters
I just heard a Led Zeppelin song that sounded just like Neverland. I guess it's 3:0 for Sisters.
Andy Gom
Road Kill

"still" refren sounds like main riff "detonation boulevard" and drums pattern in "Marian" sounds like all drum parts in songs of THE CULT
Badlander
Overbomber

Wilkstein wrote: I just heard a Led Zeppelin song that sounded just like Neverland. I guess it's 3:0 for Sisters.
When the levee breaks. Did you skip the history class ? :P :lol:

BTW boys and girls, how about Detonation boulevard vs. Fascination street ? ;D
MAtT
Road Kill

The Cure's "Six Different Ways" is a Waltz (3/4 Time)... you can dance to that (well at least smith does - lol).
Finn
Road Kill

mmhh allright.. so in the end we realized that? :?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

surely "disintegration" v "unknown pleasures" is a better comparison?

just how many JD synth pads & fills can you steal & drop into one album? :lol:

see JD's "atmosphere" v the entire cure album ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?