Recommend me some early Genesis

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
mh
Above the Chemist

OK, I'll bite.

Lotsa mention of how great they were before the Artful Dodger took over, so where's the best place to start if a bloke was interested in getting some stuff?
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Well, herr Blast did an amazing job recommending me stuff (listening to Trespass right now, really good :notworthy:), I'll leave the real work to him, but he told me to start with Live. Which was very very very good indeed :notworthy:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Peter Gabriel's conceptual lyricism reached its apex on thedouble-length LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY. An epic undertaking even for a band used to 10- and 20-minute songs, LAMB weaves over 20 songs into one long suite ostensibly about the tribulations of its urban protagonist, Rael. The group achieves an unprecedented level of focus and force here. No matterhow complex the guitar and keyboard themes get, they're driven home with enough force and conviction to make them instantly memorable.
The panoramic scale of Gabriel's lyrics is easily equal to the grandeur of the music, making this at once Genesis's most hard-edged and most complicated album. From the lush sweep of the opening title track to the almost Beatles-esque Britpop of "Counting Out Time", Genesis is at the top of its compositional game throughout LAMB. Having thoroughly topped himself with this release, Gabriel subsequently quit the group, leaving Phil Collins to take over as vocalist for the next phase of the Genesis story.

that was fae Amazon not me :wink: But it is a good album
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Badlander
Overbomber

To put it simply : from my experience, all the albums from the second (the first one, From Genesis to Revelation, being quite primitive IIRC) to LAMB are worth a listen, with LAMB being a classic among classics. The first one after PG's departure (A Trick of the Tail) is quite decent too, even if that's Phil Collins singing. TBH I could hardly tell the difference.

All the rest is sh!t but you already knew that. ;D
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Pat
Slight Overbomber

I always thought Misplaced Childhood was there best album but Brave has a couple of good tracks despite the new singer. :innocent:
bushman*pm
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

:lol:
surely people can tell when they're havin their p*ss*r pulled??!!
:von:
suggest you take some vit c, lotsa alcohol and then awake from this abominable nightmare and crank up to 11 canon in d or the trumpet voluntary!

btw, my range rover is better than yours so there!
LAND ROVER: THE BEAST FOUR BY FOUR BY FEAR! KICKS THE ARSE OFF RICEBURNERS!
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

bushman*pm whatever it is you are on can you please send some up to Glasgow for the weekend

:eek: :lol: :wink:
James Blast
Banned

Blast Products 2006â„¢ are only a PM away Michael, in fact... let's just say, product will be en route by Friday ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
mh
Above the Chemist

:notworthy:

and I may have something to reciprocate with shortly...

Ahem.

Anyway, I'm beginning to get interested in this Land Rover.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
James Blast
Banned

mh wrote:Anyway, I'm beginning to get interested in this Land Rover.
I feel so cheap now :cry:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
bushman*pm

i married my witch girlfriend last year at rosslyn chapel,
had the canon in d played on the organ whilst lounging around awaiting my bride to be and her procession down the isle to me was the trumpet voluntary
and i was almost sobbing at this vision of loveliness in her cream and turquoise god-sent creation
so 'scuse me while i get mushed-up but it still bring a lump to my throat when i hear them!
btw, listen to 'haste ye' by clan an drumma, perhaps not what you would expect from someone on this site but its worth a listen to
bbtw, try 'herbal highs with red bull! done my head in soooo much i got us lost on the way to bauhaus @ the forum, i thought it was in kilburn!

stay cool people
mh
Above the Chemist

James Blast wrote:
mh wrote:Anyway, I'm beginning to get interested in this Land Rover.
I feel so cheap now :cry:
Sssssh. What was the name of that band with someone who used to be able to clear out phlegm and fart at the same time? :wink:
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Dollar?
Hexenstübchen
Road Kill

The Musical Box. :von:
steamhammerdave
Road Kill

Foxtrot is the only Genesis album I listen to nowadays
What are we gonna do now then?
Eat the phone book...
James Blast
Banned

steamhammerdave wrote:Foxtrot is the only Genesis album I listen to nowadays
Erse! Live and Trespass are the classics.
Ok Selling England to.

mh, product burned, in the post thi morra
~ Peter Steele
wild bill buttock

Gotta agree with Trespass.The only vinyl Genesis album I've bothered to replace with CD(Wore the vinyl out)."Stagnation" is possibly one of the greatest pieces of music ever.
My elder Sister was a mad Genesis fan in the early 70's and used to drag me along to their gigs when I was in my early teens.I remember seeing them as a support band when Gabriel used to sit on the edge of the stage telling stories in between songs dressed as a flower.'Kin Hippies!
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away
Petseri
Overbomber

My nod goes to Selling England by the Pound. The pieces seem to fit best there.

Although muddying the waters a bit, I suggest giving their frst album From Genersis to Revelation a listen. Much ifferent than their concept albums, but for historical purposes worth listening.
culprit

I agree, Selling England By The Pound is my favourite, followed by Lamb, Then back thru Live, Foxtrot & Nursery Crime.
I find I can only listen to Lamb all the way through, and Foxtrot & Nursery Crime have a bit of filler.

With regard to the era when Gabriel left, the first two albums, especially Wind & Wurthering, are still musically excellent.
...mmmmmmmmmMMMMMM!....
bushman*pm

im begining to get a bit worried regarding some of those lurking on this forum!
im off to elastic band vs shoelace collector forum!
James Blast
Banned

The Prog will out! :evil:
~ Peter Steele
bushman*pm

:?
ah daft question corner?
WTF is the prog?
ive bin cave dwelling 4 2 long!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Prog Rock.

Wiki is your friend.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
bushman*pm

murky buckets but not my bag,
i prefer something slightly less pretentious than some twit dressed up as a wizard playing with his organ on a cliff top!
huh huh huh huh huh!!!!!
how about that girly geezer twiddling his cane in a woolen/weaving mill/factory and then running for the train??!!
stroppy looking tart as well!
wild bill buttock

Quote from Wiki on Prog rock;

"Progressive rock is difficult to define conclusively and to everyone's satisfaction, as the bands bear little resemblance to one another in their respective sounds and fan bases. Outspoken King Crimson leader Robert Fripp has voiced his disdain for the term. Indeed, in some cases the bands themselves or well-known critics would question whether one or another of the above bands fit the term “progressive rock� as it is now defined by the music industry, as well as many fans"

Sustitute "Prog rock" for er...something else and Frippy for Von and what are they describing then? :innocent:
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away