accents

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
elamanamou
Slight Overbomber

Interesting that the UK has so many regional accents.Went to South Yorkshire recently and the dialect seems so different should I say from the folks from North Yorks.

I still quite like the Brummie accent.

All you Scots keep writing on here fud what exactly does it mean? :?

Ozpat
From the Lowlands

I guess there are a lot of countries that have different dialects and accents. Same here in Holland. :D
"as we walk on the floodland"
elamanamou
Slight Overbomber

Surely not as many as the UK?
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Ever been to Belgium? ;)

Sometimes you have three different accents in a 10-mile radius...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
eotunun
Overbomber

Ever been to germany? The bavarians don´t even realize their dialect isn´t german.. :roll:
In fact, I live about 15 miles from cologne. A neighbour of mine, an elderly woman, tried to explain colognians (ners? (colons???))... people from cologne how to get back home best. This woman hadn´t been outside our village in years, The poor col.. col.. people didn´t understand a single word.
:wink:
15 miles..
There is shadow under this red rock
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

elamanamou wrote:Interesting that the UK has so many regional accents.Went to South Yorkshire recently and the dialect seems so different should I say from the folks from North Yorks.

FUD

Female genitalia, normally used as an insult, meaning a person of lower than average intelligence.
  • "Your a fud"
    "I rolled over in bed and accidently kneed her in the fud. She woke with a scream and punched me in the balls"
    Look where you're f**king goin', ya fud!
Last edited by weebleswobble on 02 Sep 2006, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
aims
Overbomber

I can't understand the faux-Scousers that walk down my street every day, never mind comprehend the conversations I hear on Merseyrail.

But maybe that's just me ;)

Up hill, both ways, in snow and we liked it. Y'know :innocent:
Silver_Owl
The Don

Motz wrote:I can't understand the faux-Scousers that walk down my street every day, never mind comprehend the conversations I hear on Merseyrail.

But maybe that's just me ;)

Up hill, both ways, in snow and we liked it. Y'know :innocent:
Would you care to expand on this :?: I am ignorant to these faux-Scousers. Are you saying people actually want to sound like that :?: :|
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
9while9
Slight Overbomber
Location: Parts Unknown or Isle of Tonga (whichever you prefer).

weebleswobble wrote:
elamanamou wrote:Interesting that the UK has so many regional accents.Went to South Yorkshire recently and the dialect seems so different should I say from the folks from North Yorks.

FUD

Female genitalia, normally used as an insult, meaning a person of lower than average intelligence.
  • "Your a fud"
    "I rolled over in bed and accidently kneed her in the fud. She woke with a scream and punched me in the balls"
    Look where you're f**king goin', ya fud!
You left out "Ginger FUD" :lol: :P :lol:
"An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why." - William Faulkner

-Me, I'm inspired by my DarkAngel.
aims
Overbomber

Apparently.

There's got to be some reason why I've heard "Scouse" in West Kirby that outdoes anything you'd get in Huyton. And it's generally the same people who talk about the Woodchurch Estate as though it affords them the same hard-knock status as coming from Toxteh :lol:

(Forgive any geographical faux-pas' above, I'm not great with the local area ;))
Silver_Owl
The Don

Motz wrote:Apparently.

There's got to be some reason why I've heard "Scouse" in West Kirby that outdoes anything you'd get in Huyton. And it's generally the same people who talk about the Woodchurch Estate as though it affords them the same hard-knock status as coming from Toxteh :lol:

(Forgive any geographical faux-pas' above, I'm not great with the local area ;))
Strange. :urff: I've spent a fair bit of time in West Kirby but I'm not the most aware of people a lot of the time so probably oblivious to it. Maybe shellsuits and perms are the new black. ;D

But talking of shellsuits - it's like a whole little micro-culture isn't it? There's something very X Files about them all wandering round in them. It must be pointless shops stocking jeans. :?
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
elamanamou
Slight Overbomber

The Norfolk accent is something else.They make up there own words!

Eldritch definitely has a strong cockney accent
robertzombie
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:
Motz wrote:Apparently.

Strange. :urff: I've spent a fair bit of time in West Kirby but I'm not the most aware of people a lot of the time so probably oblivious to it. Maybe shellsuits and perms are the new black. ;D

But talking of shellsuits - it's like a whole little micro-culture isn't it? There's something very X Files about them all wandering round in them. It must be pointless shops stocking jeans. :?
I watched a program last night, something like "The Embarrassing 80s" which featured Shell Suits. I didn't realise these things still existed :eek:
Silver_Owl
The Don

robertzombie wrote: I watched a program last night, something like "The Embarrassing 80s" which featured Shell Suits. I didn't realise these things still existed :eek:
Oh Robert :roll: Maybe in the swinging metropolis that is Da Sarf where even the pidgeons wear top of the range 'denim' the shellsuit is an out-moded relic but up in the region known as The Scorched Earth the shellsuit is law. And that law is wrong. :?
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

I sound like the Worzles when I speak. :|
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Ever been to Belgium? ;)

Sometimes you have three different accents in a 10-mile radius...

IZ.
Waddiestjoengkungdedanniejjaf? ;D :lol:

Love accents in every language, and especially trying to do them :D :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
boudicca
Sister Midnight

nick the stripper wrote:I sound like the Worzles when I speak. :|
*faints*

:lol:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
eotunun
Overbomber

elamanamou wrote:The Norfolk accent is something else.They make up there own words!

Eldritch definitely has a strong cockney accent
When you hear Andrew speak german you hear he´s been living up north at Hamburg. He absolutely audibly at first hearing has a northern german intonation. And yes, noticing german isn´t his native language isn´t easy from how he speaks.
:wink:
There is shadow under this red rock
boudicca
Sister Midnight

eotunun wrote:And yes, noticing german isn´t his native language isn´t easy from how he speaks.
Only time you ever really seem to get that with people speaking English is when their mother tongue is either Norwegian, Swedish or Danish. I've heard quite a lot of Scandinavians speak almost entirely without an accent to betray their origins. You even hear quite a lot of footballers (and let's face it, they're not the most linguistically gifted creatures are they?) taking on not only a general, multi-purpose BBC accent, but actually the regional intonations of the area their club is located.

It's a never-ending source of frustration and hilarity to me that I get the p*ss taken out of me by my McHeartland brethern for having a Bearsden accent - which is supposed to be posh... depending on the situation I can employ or completely avoid that, but either way I never have a strong Glaswegian accent, just a general Scottish accent at most. However, when I come down south and talk to you bastard English, I am told I am utterly incomprehensible on account of my broad Scots dialect :eek: :eek: . Laff! Get it richt up ye, as us barbarians say.
THEN, I am told by the European contingent, whichever country they're from, that I am the only one out of the McHeartlanders that they can understand. :lol: :twisted: :P
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Pista
Cureboi

Sorry.
Didn't get a word of that.
Could you write a bit more sowly? :wink:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

boudicca wrote:It's a never-ending source of frustration and hilarity to me that I get the p*ss taken out of me by my McHeartland brethern for having a Bearsden accent - which is supposed to be posh... depending on the situation I can employ or completely avoid that, but either way I never have a strong Glaswegian accent, just a general Scottish accent at most. However, when I come down south and talk to you bastard English, I am told I am utterly incomprehensible on account of my broad Scots dialect :eek: :eek: . Laff! Get it richt up ye, as us barbarians say.
THEN, I am told by the European contingent, whichever country they're from, that I am the only one out of the McHeartlanders that they can understand. :lol: :twisted: :P
Not the only one, but the one that requires the smallest effort yes :lol:

I wonder what silly accent I have in English :eek:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
smiscandlon
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:blah blah blah
I'd also always thought I had a pretty mild Scots accent, but a few years ago when I worked on a call team, I took a call from a colleague south of the border (Yorkshire, probably). She asked some questions, I gave the answers, end of conversation. She then phoned straight back and got through to the guy sitting next to me. "I just called a minute ago and spoke to someone else," she says, "but I couldn't understand a word he said." :roll:

More recently I was dealing with a customer with the broadest Wurzels-type accent you've ever heard. He was explaining the communication problems he'd had with a girl at his local branch who was from Birmingham or somesuch place - "Oi couldn't unnerstan' 'er aaaah-cent." :lol:

Also had an amusing conversation with a Geordie customer (think Michael in I'm Alan Partridge) a couple of weeks ago, telling me all about the problems he'd had using Tiscali customer support, based in India - "I canna understand them, and they canna understand me, 'cos I'm a Geordie, like." He rounded off the conversation with, "Tell you what, it's a goood job a Geordie and a Scotsman can understand each oother, like. Ciao man." :P
анархия
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

elamanamou wrote:The Norfolk accent is something else.They make up there own words!
every dialect has those!

the people who think they're funny by writing in dialect in the local paper for amusement purposes should be shot.
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
wild bill buttock
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Interestingly, it is impossible to say either Kawasaki , Hiatus hernia or Photo-copier without sounding Geordie.Likewise Marmalade should only ever be pronounced in a Brummie accent.

Did someone say they liked the Brummie accent?I don't and I've got one.
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away
scotty
Overbomber

I love local dialects, well most of them, particularly Liverpool & Kieghley :innocent: , I'm not really keen on the strong city centre Edinburgh, to close to home maybe :roll: , not overly keen on Glaswegian either but I really like the Cockney, that guy Danny Dyer cracks me up :lol: , Scouse, Brummie, Geordie, especially the Geordie due to a night at an ALMICHTY gig at the Riverside :innocent: :wink: , Love the Leeds - Bradford areas :notworthy: , people should have a local accent, the "BBC" news readers anonymous "could be from anywhere" non-accent leaves me cold :|
But don't forget that the closest to proper Queens English is spoken in Inverness :wink:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"