Heartland Forum Index
       FAQ      Rules      Search      Paypal Donation      Photo Gallery      Sisters Wiki   
   Register · Profile · Log in to check your private messages · View New Posts · Usergroups · Memberlist · Statistics  
   Follow us on   Twitter    Facebook · Log in  
Some thoughts on two stanzas from Vision Thing.

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Heartland Forum Index -> Lyrics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber


Joined: 16 Dec 2004
Posts: 1732
Location: Somewhere between Athens and Jerusalem.

PostPost #1  Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Some thoughts on two stanzas from Vision Thing. Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
it’s a small world and it smells bad
I’d buy another if I had
back what I paid
for another motherfucker in a motorcade


Here Von is speaking of the greatest con in the book: religion. As Nietzsche said, religion is nihilism; denying meaning in this life, through a focus on the afterlife and its supposed rewards. For those the world has treated with cruelty, religion holds great promises. The ‘motherfucker in a motorcade’ is referring to, I believe, the pope; who makes his money off people’s hungering for something more.

Quote:
what do we need to make our world come alive?
what does it take to make us sing?
while we’re waiting for the next one to arrive?
one million points of light
one billion dollar vision thing


This stanza comes off as mocking the ‘one billion dollar vision thing’ known as organised religion. ‘What do we need to make our world come alive/what does it take to make us sing?’ (by ‘sing’ I assume he means ‘to celebrate life’) is the cries of nihilists, those who have given up on this life, searching and hungering for something more. And ‘one million points of light/one billion dollar vision thing’ is that something more they have been searching for, offered up on a plate by the con for merely a dollar ninety-five.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator


Joined: 25 Jan 2002
Posts: 15664
Location: Lurking

PostPost #2  Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on two stanzas from Vision Thing. Reply with quote Back to top

its more a dig at american politics than religion

nick the stripper wrote:
Quote:
it’s a small world and it smells bad
I’d buy another if I had
back what I paid
for another motherfucker in a motorcade


Here Von is speaking of the greatest con in the book: religion. As Nietzsche said, religion is nihilism; denying meaning in this life, through a focus on the afterlife and its supposed rewards. For those the world has treated with cruelty, religion holds great promises. The ‘motherfucker in a motorcade’ is referring to, I believe, the pope; who makes his money off people’s hungering for something more.


i disagree.

in its bluntest terms, he's suggesting that he sanctioned and paid for the john f. kennedy assassination (allusions to the main character in the rolling stones' "sympathy for the devil" here?), presumably in the hope of being able to "buy" a better world (better only for him, one assumes. not better for everyone else!)

and it sounds like he is unhappy with the resulting "world", ie: "its a small world and it smells bad".

he's saying if he got back he paid for the kennedy assassination job, he would this time use the money to buy another world.

nick the stripper wrote:
Quote:
what do we need to make our world come alive?
what does it take to make us sing?
while we’re waiting for the next one to arrive?
one million points of light
one billion dollar vision thing


This stanza comes off as mocking the ‘one billion dollar vision thing’ known as organised religion.


nope. politics again. see george bush snr's "vision thing"

http://www.askoxford.com/worldofwords/quotations/phrasefable/visionthing/

nick the stripper wrote:
‘What do we need to make our world come alive/what does it take to make us sing?’ (by ‘sing’ I assume he means ‘to celebrate life’) is the cries of nihilists, those who have given up on this life, searching and hungering for something more.


yep. he's asking what it takes to get people of their arses and out of the selfishness and apathy they have descended into

nick the stripper wrote:
And ‘one million points of light/one billion dollar vision thing’ is that something more they have been searching for, offered up on a plate by the con for merely a dollar ninety-five.


i disagree again. i read it as von suggesting that such is the general selfishness and apathy of americans (or von's view of them anyway), their only get excited by OTT american defence projects

Neutral

well, thats my take on it anyway Very Happy
_________________
the cake is a lie
the cake is a lie
the cake is a lie
the cake is a lie
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
markfiend
goriller of form 3b


Joined: 11 Nov 2003
Posts: 20155
Location: st custards

PostPost #3  Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I always read "another motherf-ucker in a motorcade" as a reference to JFK -- who was, after all, assassinated in a motorcade; Eldritch is perhaps calling for the assasination of George Bush the First here.

Isn't the "vision thing" line from a Bush1 speech too?

Edit: Bah. QB beat me to it. Laughing
_________________
it is my firm belief that it is a mistake to hold firm beliefs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker


Joined: 11 Jul 2002
Posts: 4438

PostPost #4  Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Before the thread becomes ‘contaminated’ by puerile foolishness

‘The phrase “a thousand points of light,” written for Bush by speechwriter Peggy Noonan, was used on various occasions during the 1988 presidential campaign. The words are not original, echoing similar phrases by Charles Dickens and Thomas Wolfe, among others. As president, Bush initiated a “Points of Light” reform program in June 1989.’

It’s a small world is of course a sick-inducing Disney song

Personally, i'd like to I'd like to build the world a home
_________________
Goths are people too..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber


Joined: 16 Dec 2004
Posts: 1732
Location: Somewhere between Athens and Jerusalem.

PostPost #5  Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I figured everyone already knew of the political undertones to the song, and we all know Sisters songs can have more than one meaning, so I figured that it could quite possibly have some religious undertones too while I was listening to the song and reading "Thus Spoke Zarathustra". *shrugs* I guess not though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dan
Slight Overbomber


Joined: 25 Sep 2002
Posts: 1834
Location: Leeds

PostPost #6  Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on two stanzas from Vision Thing. Reply with quote Back to top

Quiff Boy wrote:
in its bluntest terms, he's suggesting that he sanctioned and paid for the john f. kennedy assassination

Good job he's got such a great alibi (what with only being 4 years old at the time), people have been arrested for saying less. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
James Blast
Banned


Joined: 11 Jun 2003
Posts: 24739
Location: back from some place else

PostPost #7  Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

nick the stripper wrote:
I figured everyone already knew of the political undertones to the song, and we all know Sisters songs can have more than one meaning, so I figured that it could quite possibly have some religious undertones too while I was listening to the song and reading "Thus Spoke Zarathustra". *shrugs* I guess not though.
Pretentious, moi?
_________________
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pat
Slight Overbomber


Joined: 19 Jun 2005
Posts: 1301
Location: Scotland

PostPost #8  Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Here was me thinking he was just trying to come up with some catchy choruses ,so he could sell a few records.Seem to have missed the point,haven't I ?
_________________
flickr
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber


Joined: 16 Dec 2004
Posts: 1732
Location: Somewhere between Athens and Jerusalem.

PostPost #9  Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

James Blast wrote:
nick the stripper wrote:
I figured everyone already knew of the political undertones to the song, and we all know Sisters songs can have more than one meaning, so I figured that it could quite possibly have some religious undertones too while I was listening to the song and reading "Thus Spoke Zarathustra". *shrugs* I guess not though.
Pretentious, moi?


What did you expect? I'm European. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Heartland Forum Index -> Lyrics All times are GMT + 1 Hour
 
Page 1 of 1

 


Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group  ·  Heartland supports phpBBHacks.com
Theme and Graphics by Quiff Boy, Tim Blackman and those nice people at ibplanet.com