Legendary bands/albums/whatever you actually don't like

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Badlander
Overbomber

Following a discussion in another thread...

Have you ever been told that such band/album/what else was just so good, brilliant, unconventional, extreme, etc. that you had to love it. Then you went home, listened to the record, and just thought "I'm not convinced, not a bit. I even find it pretty crappy and boring."

For example, I've never been convinced by Captain Beefheart. I did try it, but either I'm too narrow-minded (or not clever enough), or it's just not what it's cracked up to be.
What do you really think of Lou Reed's Metal machine music ? Etc.
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Most M!ssion records...
"as we walk on the floodland"
scotty
Overbomber

Vision Thing.
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Good topic! :notworthy: I can think of loads of cases of this.

Perhaps the most obvious one for me (though it is a bit ambivalent) is The Beatles' Seargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. It comes top of poll after poll of greatest albums, and I do have to say the first time I put it on, aged 10, my life changed there and then. That was the moment I stopped listening to the charts and what was being played to me on the radio and started to seek out what I liked.

However it is by no means the Beatles' best - for that I'd say probably Revolver, though I have a soft spot for Rubber Soul, Abbey Road and even *gasp* Magical Mystery Tour. I'd much rather listen to any of them these days. And all Beatles albums did have their terrible moments... usually something to do with Paul being twee or Ringo being given a microphone :lol:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

scotty wrote:Vision Thing.
:eek:

I kind of understand that Keith and I guess almost nobody expected
this but I never experienced it as crappy or boring.

These days....I love it! :twisted:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Badlander
Overbomber

Ozpat wrote:Most M!ssion records...
Who told you they were legendary ? :eek: :lol:
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Front 242

I love my electro, but this just doesn't click with me, nor does Front Line Assembley or Skinny Puppy.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

From "that" thread - my two must be..

Television
and
Suicide
taylor
Slight Overbomber

most of sisters records
scotty
Overbomber

taylor wrote:most of sisters records
Aye.
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Pat
Slight Overbomber

I'd have to agree with Claire about The Beatles,Led Zeppelin spring to mind for a lot of dodgy albums with only a couple of good tracks on them.Metallica's first album came highly recommended to me but is utter crud,Sounds ,Kerrang etc were all raving about it.I would also have to mention most Bauhaus albums.Their gig in Glasgow blew me away but their albums never really hint at the sort of greatness I witnessed that night.
What about Spirea X...billed as the new Cocteau Twins,4ad should have been sued for false advertising.
Perki
Amphetamine Filth

U2. I either don't get them or just can't see what's so special.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Never Mind The Bollocks, while it contains some indisputably brilliant tracks, lacks variety and maturity as a whole, I think.

London Calling's also an album which didn't impress me, although it has a similar collection of standout numbers on it, not least the title track.

Having said that, I don't think the impact of these albums on popular music is overstated or overrated.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

Interesting question.

Uriah Heep, Procol Harum (sp?), Gong, Bad Company, and their 'classic albums' ... nope. Give me early Genesis and Pete Gabe.

Deep Purple 'Made In Tokyo' or Led Zep 4? Jimmy Page is God.

Modern times? I will go to my grave never having understood Bauhaus. Their sound just irritates me. Deeply. Except Bela and Dark Entries. Which is what ... two songs out of 100?

And what ever happened to JJ72? "The Irish Joy Division" (rhetorical question). :roll:

At the end of the day it's a bit like you love The Sisters ... or you hate The Sisters. There's no middle (giving) ground.
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

Zuma wrote:Television
Marquee Moon, Dave? :?: :eek:
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

Johnny Rev 7.0 wrote:
Zuma wrote:Television
Marquee Moon, Dave? :?: :eek:
Aye Mr J
Just never got it at all...I appreciate it was very "anti guitar" guitar playing but it just left me cold....
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I find it difficult to like Pink Floyd. And Lou Reed.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Dark wrote:I find it difficult to like Pink Floyd. And Lou Reed.
They speak very highly of you. ;D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

If you didn't mind the bollocks you didn't mind the album. Thats another great I don't like.

Apart from 'Love will tear us apart' I never really liked Joy Division, but i am considering giving them another go, now a few years have past and my music taste is a bit more mature.

I really like NIN, but the downward spiral was rubbish. It had 3 good tracks (closer, heresay and hurt) but Pretty Hate Machine is where its truely at, one of the most complete albums I've ever heard.
(currently got my PHM 12" playing downstairs, the bass actually made the floor vibrate, I'm dead happy about that)
Nationalise the f**king lot.
Badlander
Overbomber

boudicca wrote: However it is by no means the Beatles' best - for that I'd say probably Revolver, though I have a soft spot for Rubber Soul, Abbey Road and even *gasp* Magical Mystery Tour. I'd much rather listen to any of them these days. And all Beatles albums did have their terrible moments... usually something to do with Paul being twee or Ringo being given a microphone :lol:
Agreed. Funny you didn't mention the White album. I mean it is fantastic, isn't it ?
When it comes to the Beatles, you also have to take into account the fact that in the 60s it was pretty common for a band to release one or even two album(s) a year. The rule was pretty much "record and release", which means even the most talented were doomed to release some weaker tunes, not to say straight crap.

I used to have a problem with Pink Floyd's The dark side of the moon, but tbh it probably had more to do with the album's incredible success than with the music itself. I was bit of a snob and I couldn't really accept the idea of liking the same music everybody around me liked (including my dickhead classmates, you get the point). Now even if it's not my favourite Floyd album (it's Wish you were here if you want to know), at least I can recognize it's a damn good record.

Can't say the same of the Floyd's other monster, The Wall. I find the whole idea very pretentious, the music pretty dull, the singing unimpressive, and tbh I'm not very interested in Roger Waters' childhood traumas. My favourite two tracks from that album are Comfortably numb and Run like hell... which were written by Dave Gilmour, not Waters.
vicus
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

The Doors

and the Velvet Underground
Last edited by vicus on 15 Oct 2006, 08:44, edited 2 times in total.
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

permission to (b)land

still holds the record for resale. absolute carp

followed by blackgrape - it's great (not) .... etc[/i]
Goths have feelings too
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

blasphemy for some, but anything by Oasis.....
scotty
Overbomber

Red Hot Chili Peppers, I like The Uplift Mofo Party Plan & Mothers Milk but the rest is just pish.
Last edited by scotty on 14 Oct 2006, 23:11, edited 2 times in total.
aims
Overbomber

Queen and The Beatles.