Your fave book quote...

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Carrot started to clap.

It wasn't the clap used by middlings to encourage underlings to applaud overlings*

* the palms are held at right angles to one another and flapped together rather than clapped, while the flapper stares intently at the audience as if to say: "we're going to have some applause here or else the whole school is in detention".

"Jingo" - Terry Pratchett

Quote your favourite book quotes here. It's better than a 'who has the bestest avatar' thread and I am bloody bored, in pain and pished by cheap red Bordeaux.

And if PiB can do it, so can I. I'm a Senior Member, and that ain't no sexual remark.

Also keep in mind that, unless a Mod decides otherwise, I can keep this thread going on for months on end just by quoting Terry Pratchett.

Be Forwarned...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
hallucienate
Overbomber

Most memorable for me is the opening paragraph of Motley Crue's The Dirt. It pretty much sets the tone for the rest of the book. I won't quote it here because it's pretty graphic.

It's not my favourite quote but certainly memorable.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Opening Line, Debut Novel, Scottish Writer: Jesus F*ck
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

"A warrior goes to knowledge as he goes to war - alone, with fear, with respect, and with absolute assurance." - Carlos Castaneda, Journey to Ixtlan

That's my mantra.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:I can keep this thread going on for months on end just by quoting Terry Pratchett.
Sounds fair enough to me :lol:

It's too hard to narrow down. I'll have a think...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

Personal favourite:
Polar exploration is at once the cleanest and most isolated way of having a bad time which has been devised. It is the only form of adventure in which you put on your clothes at Michaelmas and keep them on until Christmas, and, save for a layer of the natural grease of the body, find them as clean as though they were new. It is more lonely than London, more secluded than any monastery, and the post comes but once a year. As men will compare the hardships of France, Palestine, or Mesopotamia, so it would be interesting to contrast the rival claims of the Antarctic as a medium of discomfort. A member of Campbell's party tells me that the trenches at Ypres were a comparative picnic. But until somebody can evolve a standard of endurance I am unable to see how it can be done. Take it all in all, I do not believe anybody on earth has a worse time than an Emperor penguin.
From "The Worst Journey in the World" by Aspley Cherry-Garrard.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
A prize for the first person who spots the source.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?
Goths have feelings too
hallucienate
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
A prize for the first person who spots the source.
Gandalf dishes out advice like that in FotR
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

hallucienate wrote:Gandalf dishes out advice like that in FotR
You got it. Your prize:
—Bertrand Russell
hallucienate
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
You got it. Your prize:
I shall treasure it always.
eotunun
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
You got it. Your prize:
HAL If I were you I´d protest. That´s a cheap woolworth-copy.
@IZ :notworthy: Ayup! :notworthy: Pratchet is fun that even makes sense. Good for numberless great quotes!
There is shadow under this red rock
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

hallucienate wrote:I shall treasure it always.
;D :lol:
—Bertrand Russell
czuczu
Overbomber

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Nice!
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Can we quote from non-fiction, Master Iz?
smiscandlon
Overbomber

czuczu wrote:I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
I will face my fear.
Only I will remain.

Nice!
Matching your avatar, I see. :wink:
анархия
czuczu
Overbomber

smiscandlon wrote:
czuczu wrote:I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
I will face my fear.
Only I will remain.

Nice!
Matching your avatar, I see. :wink:

I'd totally forgotten that was my avi! :eek:
Good spot :D
:notworthy: :notworthy:
scotty
Overbomber

"The great Fish moved silently through the night water, propelled by short sweeps of its crescent tail" 8)
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

is that from 'the once and future king' or whatever that merlin book is called?
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop. The usual example given to illustrate an Outside Context Problem was imagining you were a tribe on a largish, fertile island; you'd tamed the land, invented the wheel or writing or whatever, the neighbours were cooperative or enslaved but at any rate peaceful and you were busy raising temples to yourself with all the excess productive capacity you had, you were in a position of near-absolute power and control which your hallowed ancestors could hardly have dreamed of and the whole situation was just running along nicely like a canoe on wet grass... when suddenly this bristling lump of iron appears sailless and trailing steam in the bay and these guys carrying long funny-looking sticks come ashore and announce you've just been discovered, you're all subjects of the Emperor now, he's keen on presents called tax and these bright-eyed holy men would like a word with your priests.
—Bertrand Russell
jay
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Book: A garden carried in a pocket.
- Arabian Proverb
I no longer get very wrought up over the liminals

emilystrange
Above the Chemist

'the coming of the king'! i can see it from here!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

emilystrange wrote:is that from 'the once and future king' or whatever that merlin book is called?
The fish one that Keef posted? :innocent:
—Bertrand Russell
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

well i dunno. it made me think of the great Salmon of Llew.
canon docre
Overbomber

great topic! It surely arouses interested in new reading matter. :notworthy:

Here's one of my favourites:
It was unearthly, and the men were—No, they were not inhuman. Well, you know, that was the worst of it—the suspicion of their not being inhuman. It would come slowly to one. They howled and leaped, and spun, and made horrid faces; but what thrilled you was just the thought of their humanity—like yours—the thought of your remote kinship with this wild and passionate uproar. Ugly. Yes, it was ugly enough; but if you were man enough you would admit to yourself that there was in you just the faintest trace of a response to the terrible frankness of that noise, a dim suspicion of there being a meaning in it which you—you so remote from the night of first ages—could comprehend. And why not?
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.