TOL. Original or + wailing harpy version?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Pista
Cureboi

I just listened to both & the 92 version is really good if you ignore (hard to do I know) that awful noise made by that wailing harpy.
Anyone got the 92 version "untouched" by the hand of ofra haza?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

I don't have it untouched by Ofra but, damn it... I love it!!!
Guitars sound so much more clean & heavy.

Don't get me wrong, I love the original of course, but my vote goes for 1992 (Ofra included, I don't mind the wailing, & she looked pretty pretty on TOTP).
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

I like the Harpy to!

Whenever I listen to the origonal I find myself huming the female parts.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

over the last few years i've re-appraised the 92 version. i used to hate it but these days i can almost filter out the wailing bint and just hear the tune underneath.

being slowed down slightly and beefed up considerably, it really does rock like a bastard. listening to it at considerable volume on very, very good headphones also reveals all manner of production tricks & embellishments too - there's all kinds of crazy chugging and clanking going on the background :D :notworthy:

the original is a slithering, rattling and crashing anthem of a song, much like the band were at the time.

the 92 version is a thundering, roaring & grinding epic, again very representative of the band's sound at that point in time.

or something :lol: :oops:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
christophe
Overbomber

I like them both, as different songs.

@ Quiff Boy. don't you wonder how the 2007 version would sound :)
Another Shade of You.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

i like them both also, i could do without Ofra but it's not my song, so have to take it as it is. On the other hand, at times, few and far between, i almost like her.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

I only like the 7 inch version, it's shorter, more concise, to the point, and the only pogo I can survive these days ;)

I rather liked the old 12 inch version as well, never liked the Ofra Haza version. Not only for her whining all over the song, but also because of that 'grinding and crunching' bit QUIFFY mentioned.

MUSIC GEEK MODE

It's too loud and compressed into pulp. I hate compression. It was a trend then to make 11 loudest and crank it up to 12. That's OK for dance music since I don't listen to it that often...

/MUSIC GEEK MODE

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:I only like the 7 inch version, it's shorter, more concise, to the point, and the only pogo I can survive these days ;)

I rather liked the old 12 inch version as well, never liked the Ofra Haza version. Not only for her whining all over the song, but also because of that 'grinding and crunching' bit QUIFFY mentioned.

MUSIC GEEK MODE

It's too loud and compressed into pulp. I hate compression. It was a trend then to make 11 loudest and crank it up to 12. That's OK for dance music since I don't listen to it that often...

/MUSIC GEEK MODE

IZ.
aye, all the 90-93 stuff is compressed to hell, innit :?
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Izzy HaveMercy

Quiff Boy wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:I only like the 7 inch version, it's shorter, more concise, to the point, and the only pogo I can survive these days ;)

MUSIC GEEK MODE

/MUSIC GEEK MODE

IZ.
aye, all the 90-93 stuff is compressed to hell, innit :?
There and back again :urff:

Now, I don't have the new 3-issue thingy, but did they remaster VT there? If so, AND they did master even louder (if possible) don't even think of saying so... :|

IZ.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Ya fookin' lightweight... I have asthma that hurts me after just one song of pogoing, and I make sure I go for at least 5 songs. xD
Pista
Cureboi

But how often do you need to press the pause button? :wink:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Izzy HaveMercy

Dark wrote:
Ya fookin' lightweight... I have asthma that hurts me after just one song of pogoing, and I make sure I go for at least 5 songs. xD
Says one that can't hold his drink :twisted:

AND you don't have to worry about Old Age Angst! ;D (and a hernia)

IZ.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I held it fine. And I don't get hangovers yet. ;D
Pista
Cureboi

Something that always puzzled me.
How do you hold your drink & pogo???
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Izzy HaveMercy

Pista wrote:Something that always puzzled me.
How do you hold your drink & pogo???
You sweat it out ;)

I'm born in 1975, I KNOW how to pogo. The post 1990ers just get it all wrong, turning it into an arm-flailing contest whilst standing on one tile... A bit like 'Catch the Bat, Release the Bat' Goth Dancing; one might say, but with closed fists and the intent to hit instead of caress... :twisted:

IZ.
wild bill buttock
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I remember when the 92 version was released and I first heard it played on radio one.At first I thought it was some-one like Utah saints using a Sisters sample.I couldn't believe Von could lower himself to do such commercial bollocks.
I still hate it with a vengeance, its f**king aweful.
I don't own a copy so I can't reavalue it,but after 15 years of hearing the said atrocity played during "the token Goth" section at every generic rock night I've ever attended, I still know how much I hate the bastard thing.
Secretly I was quite pleased that it got to number 2 in the charts and certainly it was responsible for introducing a new generation of Sisters fans to the band, as the original version did for me all those many years before.But.....
The original version remains one of my favourite pieces of music.The 12" version (with "Heartland" and "Gimme shelter") is one of my most treasured pieces of plastic.
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away
more-sedatives-pls
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Yes... The ellbow-punching youth does it totally wrong, I agree.

I especially like to caress ellbowers' shinbones with my Doc steelcaps in those tender moments.

But, seen it happen several times already, when a guy loses his glasses that wrestling crowd does make a big circle until the moment of recovery - and THAT I like.
Immodium for the people
Izzy HaveMercy

more-sedatives-pls wrote:Yes... The ellbow-punching youth does it totally wrong, I agree.

I especially like to caress ellbowers' shinbones with my Doc steelcaps in those tender moments.

But, seen it happen several times already, when a guy loses his glasses that wrestling crowd does make a big circle until the moment of recovery - and THAT I like.
THAT's the way the pre 1990ers do it ;D

Admittedly, they stop the pogo, ALL search for the guy's glasses, retrieve it, wipe them on their shirts, put it back on his nose, then slam it right off again... ahhhhh...true pogo-friendship *sniffle*

IZ.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

I've always liked it, especially the wailing :wink:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Badass
Amphetamine Filth

I've loved the original version from the moment i heared it for the first time back in the pogo days. The 92 version is a different story. It's a great production but it never does the same thing to me like the original.
Can someone tell me when and why the Sisters started with this version that they play these days, without the guitar intro?
This is not revenche, this is punishment
spot778
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I like 'em both although I would have prefered to have just Haza on the 92 mix and no Von.

I find her voice more haunting then harpy.
End of line.
Barracuda
Amphetamine Filth

Original. No contest.
taylor
Slight Overbomber

yes 1992 s**t :evil:
Nic
Slight Overbomber

spot778 wrote:I like 'em both although I would have prefered to have just Haza on the 92 mix and no Von.

I find her voice more haunting then harpy.
Then it wouldn't be a Sisters song would it? :roll:
All We Ever Wanted Was Everything
EmeraldSignal
Amphetamine Filth

Barracuda wrote:Original. No contest.
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

He tries too hard on the '92 version