The Best Cover Version (poll) on BBC Radio 6-

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
chickenhead
Amphetamine Filth

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/events/covers/vote.shtml
Quote:

On Saturday 27th January, 6 Music celebrates the majesty of the cover version with a count down of our listeners’ Top 40 all time favourites. Be it a hit single, B side, or live performance, the cover has been a staple part of the rock and pop mix for over 50 years. Hendrix outdid Dylan with All Along the Watchtower, RUN DMC took Hip Hop in a new direction with Aerosmith's 'Walk This Way' and the Pet Shop Boys reinvented Elvis for a smash with 'You Were Always on My Mind'.

So submit your votes for your best and worst cover songs of all time and you could win a MP3 Player.

I actually came across the above because this morning they announced that the m*****n "Like A Hurricane" was been disqualified for two many votes! (which in a way is quite funny)- I think the fansite has overbombarding the link & they have cried foul :!:

By co-incidence this on the Official Front page of theweb-site only today

http://themissionuk.com/news.asp#259

sadly they are unaware of the bad news.

Maybe we could all start voting for Gimme Shelter?! or for the more spiteful vote on the "worst cover version" catogary & get Like A Hurricance back! :lol:
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

Or we could vote for one of our 'Next One' covers, since none of them have been released by the original band, hahaha. My vote's for Mumbles' 'Crash & Burn'... ;D
ruffers
Overbomber

"Emma" has got to be the one surely?
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
James Blast
Banned

Best: Emma
Worst: Comfortably Numb, that other Sisters shower

sorry Raf, you were very close tho'
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Best: Emma

Sorry for what, James? Emma is indeed a great cover. Gives me the chills every time...
Pista
Cureboi

I have to go with Jolene for the sheer tongue in cheekness.
Or 1969??
Worst cover??
I agree with Mr B.
scissor sisters should be strung up for that!
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
ruffers
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Best: Emma

Blimey James - I just but my votes in with that exact selection. Must be right.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

am i the only one who likes the Pink Floyd cover?

And Kylie's Confide in Me?

Well, in this case, let's go for Emma. Far best.
guns & cars & accidents
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

if i take a sneak at the BBC list, i think i choose JAMC surfin' usa.
guns & cars & accidents
James Blast
Banned

Your No.1 favourite cover
Emma - The Sisters Of Mercy
Your No.2 favourite cover
Possession (Sarah McLauchlan cover) - Type O Negative
Your No.3 favourite cover
Summer - Ahráyeph
Your worst cover of all time
Comfortably Numb - Scissor Sisters
Any comments
bring back Andrew Collins to the teatime slot

the deed is done
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
streamline
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote: Your No.3 favourite cover
Summer - Ahráyeph
s**t, I missed a trick on this one :oops:

It is a mighty fine cover.... :notworthy:

Worst cover was The m*****n natch (now there's a word not used any more!)

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
mh
Above the Chemist

Emma!
Emma!
Emma!

No more need be said.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

dinky daisy wrote:am i the only one who likes the Pink Floyd cover?

And Kylie's Confide in Me?

Well, in this case, let's go for Emma. Far best.
NO!!

i´m whit you,I love the pink floyd cover and Kylie´s cover as weel!!!
James Blast
Banned

I wasn't actually talking about THEE Sisters cover of CN, which is just pish BTW, but them stupid Scissor (Spit!) Sisters version.
I do enjoy, greatly THEE Sisters CIM.
~ Peter Steele
jande
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Listening to Phill Jupitus today, he said that because someone is touting for votes on the m*****n web site any votes for them would be declared void. oh dear :lol:
Say!
In the dark? Here in the dark!
Would you, could you, in the dark?
lachert
Overbomber

If you want to help the m*****n get back on the radio and back into the general public's consciousness then go the website address below and vote for The m*****n's 'Like A Hurricane' as your all time top favourite cover version
i didn't click often on that site but every one is worth of it. it's just f**king amazing :eek: :eek: :eek:
same needs as the sisters on the beginning now :wink:
long live rock'n'roll
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Von's Numb cover is awesome, jostling nicely with Shelter and Emma as their finest cover. However....

Best cover? Therion - Summernight City.

Or at least it is until the Pet Shop Boys cover a Rammstein track.

Not heard R.A.F.'s Summer, but judging from the positive reviews, I'll let my pc lock-up for 4 hours or so and d/l it, if someone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction. Ta. :D
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
wild bill buttock
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Best cover version?My own particular favourite is the majestic Anal C'unt and their seminal Oi! cover of the Bee-Gees "Stayin' alive" :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Bet the BBC,the nazi bastards,wouldn't play it so I'll vote for the girls and EMMA
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Comfortably Numb is just an abysmal song anyway. eldritch does it as much justice as is possible but you can't polish a turd.

Emma and Jolene are equally as good as each other. Jolene has to be one of the catchiest singalongs ever and only the truly stupid will find a bloke singing "please don't take my man" stupid.Emma is just awesome.

Gimme Shelter is of course a truly great cover; far superior to the wussy original and the swapped around lyrics in the chorus give the meaning a cool twist. plus it comes as a double act with Heartland, making up between them the single greatest side of vinyl ever pressed.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
James Blast
Banned

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:Comfortably Numb is just an abysmal song anyway. eldritch does it as much justice as is possible but you can't polish a turd.land, making up between them the single greatest side of vinyl ever pressed.
... and that's where I fell out with you Lee :(
~ Peter Steele
lachert
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:Comfortably Numb is just an abysmal song anyway. eldritch does it as much justice as is possible but you can't polish a turd.
what's mean "can't polish a turd"? i smell offence but i don't want kick eastmidswhizzkid ass not to be sure 100%... :eek :lol: :
long live rock'n'roll
smiscandlon
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:Comfortably Numb is just an abysmal song anyway. eldritch does it as much justice as is possible but you can't polish a turd.
I can't agree. For me, the segue from Comfortably Numb into Some Kind of Stranger gives a real shiver up the spine. Love it.
анархия
mh
Above the Chemist

The mh vote is in.

Best
1) Spacemen 3 - Transparent Radiation sorry
2) The Sissies - EMMA!
3) Big Black - The Model

Worst
1) The Wedding Present - Falling (Twin Peaks Theme)
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

jande wrote:Listening to Phill Jupitus today, he said that because someone is touting for votes on the m*****n web site any votes for them would be declared void. oh dear :lol:
So.. because someone on the m*****n site is doing exactly what we're doing here, they're disqualified?

:roll:
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

lachert wrote:
what's mean "can't polish a turd"? i smell offence but i don't want kick eastmidswhizzkid ass not to be sure 100%... :eek :lol: :
"you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" would be another way of putting it but i think "you can't polish a turd" is a more evocative way of saying that some things cannot be transformed from their natural base state into things of beauty.
James Blast wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:Comfortably Numb is just an abysmal song anyway. eldritch does it as much justice as is possible but you can't polish a turd.land, making up between them the single greatest side of vinyl ever pressed.
... and that's where I fell out with you Lee :(
get a grip you big blouse! i can't stand the pink floyd generally (although i can sit through the wall if i'm stoned enough -and i own a delicate sound of thunder) but "comfortably numb" depresses me. anyway, it's a smack song innit? and only stupid bastards do heroin. :wink:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat: