which song offers hope to you?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

None of the Sisters lyrics create hope in a literary way. It's hyperrealistic rawk cyborg rock pumping at best, but it doesn't contain hope. Von never sings anything like 'trust on me, i'll protect you'. Even Temple of Love does not show a crisp of charity. 1959 is vulnerable, but not hopeful.

Sisters lyrics are mostly selfish and arrogant. Great lyrics, but selfish and arrogant. It's about dominion, wanting more, promises that were never made, bitterness, danger, how great we look in ribbons, but never a sparkle of hope. It's not really dark in a murky 'kill yourself'-way, but it's so confrontational bitter. At least that's how i see it.

Ladies and gentlemen, girls & boys, what Sisters' song does involve hope for you? Do the lyrics offer anything else than sharpness, sick humor, deep sex, violent pleausures and car rides? OR don't you care (like me)?
guns & cars & accidents
mh
Above the Chemist

When I want hope and positive waves I listen to Spacemen 3 or Spiritualized. The Sisters are for the down and dirty sleazy randy moments. There's room for both in life. :D
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

After 'You Could Be The One', every Sissies song offered hope...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
mh
Above the Chemist

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:After 'You Could Be The One', every Sissies song offered hope...

IZ.
Oi!

Get the KNIFE, James!
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
James Blast
Banned

Michael these poor subhumans are not worth a 'guid stabbin', I'll pass by on the other side unlike the good Samaritan I try to be.

Musically SKOS raises my spirits and that has got to be considered a bit of a negative lyric. Never Land (a jazz oddysey) well I won't bang on about that yet again.
The Mighty You Could Be The One, again I won't try to convert the already lost.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Syberberg
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

For me, Andrew's lyrics offer a realistic, as opposed to an idealistic, hope for the future and an escape route from this post-modern, screwed up society. We've just got to wake up and break the brainwashing of the corporate and political propaganda.

At the risk of Herr Blast accusing me of looking too deeply into "stuff that's just stuff"...again... :wink:

Give me some time and I'll go through the lyrics to find illustrations for what I mean, although I suspect that'll mean this thread will get moved to the lyrics section and I'll end up writing an essay...again...

But I will say this, pretty much all of Andrew's lyrics are metaphors, so the initial, surface meaning, isn't actually what the song is about. The first example that spirings to mind is More. it's pretty much a diatribe about the shallow superficiallity of the western industrialised society, particularly America and the UK.
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
James Blast
Banned

Jeeziz! Syberberg, don't let my daft ravings inhibit you, your thoughts are every bit as relevant (and probably more reasoned) as mine. Because I have so many posts is but a relection of my affection for HL. 99.9% of what I post is bollocks!
There are a great many among us (you included) who have better and more informed insights than I will ever have.

please continue...
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Which song? None these days....life can be a real bitch as it is since the start of 2007. :roll:
"as we walk on the floodland"
EvilBastard
Overbomber

YCBTO is without question the song that offers the most hope to all right-thinking people, penned as it was by the trio of Buddha, Kali, and Vishnu (who, being immortal beings, are prevented from being credited on the sleeve under certain arcane copyright laws). They saw what a pickle the world was in at the time and decided to jot down some lyrics. They visited Eldritch Boulevard in the late summer of 1990 (which prompted :von: to pen the song of the same name) and asked him to set them to music. The line "to get your flowers pressed" is a nod to Vishnu, while "just get undressed" references Kali's union with Shiva. "Trees and walks I love them too" is clearly a buddhist motif, as is "we can meditate".

Don't believe me, then - I don't care. I'll defend your right to be wrong :P
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

It is. It is. So You Could Be The One, especially that song that brings up so many discussions.

You know you want to!
guns & cars & accidents
Syberberg

James Blast wrote:Jeeziz! Syberberg, don't let my daft ravings inhibit you, your thoughts are every bit as relevant (and probably more reasoned) as mine. Because I have so many posts is but a relection of my affection for HL. 99.9% of what I post is bollocks!
There are a great many among us (you included) who have better and more informed insights than I will ever have.

please continue...
Sorry for the confusion there, my friend, I was joking. Next time I'll use more winks and stuff. I keep forgetting how crap I am when it comes to communication sometimes, particularly when you can't see the expression on my face. :oops: :oops:

One thing I would like to make clear to anyone who reads what I will write and who doesn't look beyond the metphors that Andrew uses...Please, please, please don't take what I may say as being critical of you (whom ever you may be), nor that I'm being any way patronising. I'm far more critical of the society in which we now live that has so badly devalued the use of language by lowering the standard of education.

It'll probably take me most of the night and tomorrow to finish this as I'll be writing it out in long-hand first (mainly coz I get a lot of pleasure in putting pen to paper) and I'll be wading through Postcards From Above The Chemist and the lyric sheets from FL and F&L&A.

For QB, would you prefer I post my ramblings in this thread or start something separate in the lyrics section?
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
eotunun
Overbomber

As a natural born Kraut I have it rather easy to ignore the "foreign" language lyrics.
So when I am past needing hope, the Sisters are allways included in the soundtrack after the depression.
When I am in a situation that I need hope, there is other music I hear. Music that will serve as a time machine to remind me how it could be.
And back then, at home, there allways was classic music, and I still think that the composers of italian baroque are the best at touching you with a sentimental tune, open your mind to attend to the music and then get the light and cheerfull mood of their concertos inside your head.

But I´m off topic. I think Never Land offers you hope.
In the sense that it´s quite nice a thought never to hit the ground when falling from greater heights. ;D
There is shadow under this red rock
Silver_Owl
The Don

mh wrote:When I want hope and positive waves I listen to Spacemen 3 or Spiritualized. The Sisters are for the down and dirty sleazy randy moments. There's room for both in life. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
A good session with Ecstacy symphony normally does it for me.... :D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Stumpy Pete
Road Kill
Location: Eating a pile of Meat. But I came in to wash my Feet. Famous Potatoes!

The song that offers hope is 'Still,' because it shows the faintest, slightest glimmer of activity that makes us all stick around hoping for another album. Duh.
I'm Stumpy Pete oh yes I am
I like to eat brains from a can
The other day I ate some yams
I'm Stumpy Pete oh yes I am!

I'm Stumpy Pete
So kiss my feet
They're made of wheat
I'm Stumpy Pete!
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Slipping on wires, shimmering to shine, sliding around on chrome & plastic, taking walks, turning, talking & Crash & Burning.

Enough for me. 8)
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

"Everything will be alright
Everything will turn out fine
Some nights I still can't sleep
And the voices pass with time
And I keep
[repeat]
No time for tears
No time to run and hide
No time to be afraid of fear
I keep no time to cry

(no no no) No time for heartache
(no no no) No time to run and hide
(no no no) No time for breaking down
(no no no) No time to cry"

'nuff said. :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

eh, if you cite it like this, true. But i've never heard someone more desperate than Eldo in this song saying: 'everything will be alright'.
guns & cars & accidents
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

"Home of the Hit-men" has some positive lyrics, no?

Unless you are called Bin Laden or something...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
sultan2075
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:"Home of the Hit-men" has some positive lyrics, no?

IZ.
Of course it does, it's about sunshine.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Sisters lyrics, in general, to me are extremely bright. They lack all manner of pseudo-humanism and pseudo-romanticism, for this reason they are also not cynical. They are idealistic and realistic at the same time.

And they certainly are not selfish, inasmuch selfish is something negative at least.

But it would be way too difficult to explain this to people who think that lyrics with "you can trust me" would offer hope or humanity. Those kinds of lyrics are extremely cynical, but the explanation for that is way too long to start talking about here, especially since no one would actually care about the explanation anyhow.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Dead_Rock
Road Kill

I'm going with No Time to Cry, maybe not the most cheerful and brightest song but offering the feeling that you're not alone with your feelings.

Then there is this grooving tune Poison Door which really enlights me and brings a smile to my face. Despite the lyrics...
_emma_
Overbomber

dinky daisy wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, girls & boys, what Sisters' song does involve hope for you?
All of them. I feel bitter, so if I listen to someone who's bitter too, I get a kind of warm feeling for which I can't find a name now, but as I think of the times when I experienced pure hope, I think that this feeling is very close to it.
James Blast
Banned

Amen! _emma_ :notworthy: I felt that way well before The Sisters, Argent's Losing Hold was my tune.
A complete dirge but I loved it when I was down, it made me see things could be better.

Don't need to listen to it now... :|
~ Peter Steele
Road Kill

not a song so much, but knowing that everything that i need will someday fall out of the sky cheers me up.

wait a minute...
If this is heaven I'm bailin' out.
Carpathian Psychonaut

Like James says, waaaaay back up the thread, SKOS is kinda beautiful in a plaintive and yearning type of way - the latter end especially so.

Of course, it only needs a single play of Emma and I'm back to square one - that gets me every time :roll:
You’ll Disappear Before The Next Star Rises