Andrew-a high society chap?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Nienna
Road Kill

Ok, this may be stupid but anyway... :urff:

Andrew's pronunciation and certain things he said somehow made me think he's from upper class. I may be wrong but I'm just wondering....do you think he was a private school boy?
That he's related to "important" people?

I haven't found anything about this so please tell me if there's an article about it...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The fact that he went to St John's College, Oxford, and was considering a career in the diplomatic service, before he discovered punk rock and "living above the Chemist", may suggest a certain social background.

But then again, he could have been in Oxford on a schol.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Nienna
Road Kill

indeed.... well, even if he IS from a "certain social background", they probably pretend they don't know him... :lol:
eotunun
Overbomber

I think nowadays they´d rather pretend to know him! :wink:
There is shadow under this red rock
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

A childhood living with a father in the RAF followed by (the start of) an Oxbridge education generally gives you a degree of elocution, even if you don't end up with a degree in Chinese.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

lazarus corporation wrote:...a father in the RAF...
Oh, yes, he was a forces brat, wasn't he. :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

He went to Malvern as a boy. Public School. Should tell you all you need to know. My Step father went to Malvern actually. I always enjoy saying "you know which famous person went to malvern?" to which people from up there answer "Elgar" to which I answer "Eldritch"

I make my own fun
Nationalise the f**king lot.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Maisey wrote:He went to Malvern as a boy. Public School. Should tell you all you need to know. My Step father went to Malvern actually. I always enjoy saying "you know which famous person went to malvern?" to which people from up there answer "Elgar" to which I answer "Eldritch"

I make my own fun
Is this confirmed? I understood that his grandparents lived in the town, but it seemed unclear whether he attended MalCol (my alma mater too). Other famous OMs include Bernard Wetherall (former Warmer Of The Woolsack) and Jeremy "yeeeeeeeeees, right..." Paxman. Also Aleister "Frightfully Nice Man" Crowley, who legend has it nailed a kitten to the chapel door using 10 nails to see if it really had 9 lives (the b*stard).
And me, of course 8)
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

lazarus corporation wrote:A childhood living with a father in the RAF followed by (the start of) an Oxbridge education generally gives you a degree of elocution, even if you don't end up with a degree in Chinese.
I swear, I had nothing to do with that! (Sorry, after all the lame jokes I've had to put up with about this, I just couldn't resist doing one myself ;D)
Last edited by Ahráyeph on 07 Feb 2007, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Also Aleister "Frightfully Nice Man" Crowley, who legend has it nailed a kitten to the chapel door using 10 nails to see if it really had 9 lives (the b*stard).
Fantastic!

I have only read "moonchild". Because if a certain song :D I have this compulsion to know whats going on, so I had to do my background reading.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Summers spent shooting the poor, cucumber sandwiches on the lawn, amphetamines by the truck load.

These are the past times of the upper class, no?
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Badlander
Overbomber

EvilBastard wrote:Also Aleister "Frightfully Nice Man" Crowley, who legend has it nailed a kitten to the chapel door using 10 nails to see if it really had 9 lives (the b*stard).
Makes me want to learn black magic just so I can get him back to life and then kill him in the most shockingly painful way. Image

I do love cats that much. :oops:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Debaser
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Maisey wrote:I have only read "moonchild". Because if a certain song :D I have this compulsion to know whats going on, so I had to do my background reading.
I can highly recommend The Magical World of Aleister Crowley, by the late Francis X King - short biography, very readable, nicely objective.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

Jesus if some historian will find this Heartland material in 2666 he probably thinks Herr Von is a Saint.

C'mon kids, the more we know, the more we discover we don't know much and the less we know, the more we fantasy about the fact: what if we knew more
guns & cars & accidents
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

dinky daisy wrote:
C'mon kids, the more we know, the more we discover we don't know much and the less we know, the more we fantasy about the fact: what if we knew more
Answers on a postcard please :lol:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

It's not where you're from, it's where you're at.

Unless you're a scouser. :twisted:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Planet Dave wrote:It's not where you're from, it's where you're at.

Unless you're a scouser. :twisted:
Spoken like a true Manc B*stard :wink:
Oliver
Road Kill

Also Aleister "Frightfully Nice Man" Crowley, who legend has it nailed a kitten to the chapel door using 10 nails to see if it really had 9 lives.
There nothing to be proud of...it only shows a weak level in arithmetic...
Scottish One
Road Kill

:idea: me thinks andrew is in government now days just guessing
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Debaser wrote:
markfiend wrote:
:oops: In no way meant as an insult! :eek:

Anyhoo, the story of that old fraud Crowley nailing a kitten to the floor is most likely a tall tale put about by the man himself. Old Uncle Aleister excelled at self-publicism if nothing else.
—Bertrand Russell
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

He also excelled at higher intellectual pursuits but that's another thing. Moonchild is, up to a point, an inspired work, but it's clear he got bored of writing it after a while. The ending is a mess.

As for nailing the cat, i don't think so.

As for Eldritch, intelligent people usually rise above the masses in one way or another whether born above or not.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Heartless
Amphetamine Filth

And I always thought the british would be snobs anyway... well, with the exception of the football fans which invade our german enclave on mallorca.
No shade of anything can make a good summer over here.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

itnAklipse wrote:He also excelled at higher intellectual pursuits but that's another thing.
Well, yes, that's true. I can't quite seem to break the habit of being disparaging towards Crowley; I used to know a few thelemites, and they would get quite irate at me when I did it. :innocent:

I also think he was a great practical joker:
Section 69 of The Book Of Lies wrote:69

{Kappa-Epsilon-Phi-Alpha-Lambda-Eta Xi-Theta}

THE WAY TO SUCCEED-AND THE WAY TO
SUCK EGGS!

This is the Holy Hexagram.
Plunge from the height, O God, and interlock with
Man!
Plunge from the height, O Man, and interlock with
Beast!
The Red Triangle is the descending tongue of grace;
the Blue Triangle is the ascending tongue of
prayer
This Interchange, the Double Gift of Tongues, the
Word of Double Power-ABRAHADABRA!-is
the sign of the GREAT WORK, for the GREAT
WORK is accomplished in Silence. And behold is
not that Word equal to Cheth, that is Cancer.
whose Sigil is {Cancer}?
This Work also eats up itself, accomplishes its own
end, nourishes the worker, leaves no seed, is perfect in itself.
Little children, love one another!
According to Robert A Wilson, this is the most important secret of ceremonial magick.
—Bertrand Russell
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Ahráyeph wrote:
lazarus corporation wrote:A childhood living with a father in the RAF followed by (the start of) an Oxbridge education generally gives you a degree of elocution, even if you don't end up with a degree in Chinese.
I swear, I had nothing to do with that! (Sorry, after all the lame jokes I've had to put up with about this, I just couldn't resist doing one myself ;D)
:lol:

I do like stupid jokes like that Raf.... :notworthy:
"as we walk on the floodland"