question for natives of leeds

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

now THIS is funny

http://www.discogs.com/release/39036
Turbulent Force - The Leeds EP (Emissions Audio Output)
Format: 12"
Catalog#: PT036
Released: ?
Style: Techno
Notes: Written and Produced: Alex Handley & Mark Stephenson
Rating: No votes yet. Rate It
submitted by: locust

Tracklisting:
A1 Bridewell Suite
A2 Spencers Place
B1 South Side of Highfield
B2 Twice Wi' Scraps
Bridewell is a police station in leeds, and presumably the "Bridewell Suite" is a jail cell?!?

Spencer Place is leeds' "red light" area

"Twice Wi' Scraps" is what yakshire fowk say in the chip shop

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;D

anyone know what "South Side of Highfield" is referring to? is highfield a district of leeds?
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Lars Svensson
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote:Bridewell is a police station in leeds, and presumably the "Bridewell Suite" is a jail cell?!?

"Twice Wi' Scraps" is what yakshire fowk say in the chip shop

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;D

anyone know what "South Side of Highfield" is referring to? is highfield a district of leeds?
The Bridewell is the cells in the basement of the Town Hall I seem to remember...Stopped being used in mid-90s methinks (coulda been earlier)

...And surely it should be "T'chip shop"?????

Tsk...
Bl**dy WrongsideofthePennines-ers...D'yer know NOWT??

:twisted: :roll: ;D

PS: F*ck knowsabout Highfield though: A meadow at some sort of increased altitude perchance? :eek:
Amused to death...
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

i think there's a highfield estate in keighley? bit of a trek from leeds mind...
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
Andy TG
Overbomber

>"Twice Wi' Scraps" is what yakshire fowk say in the chip shop<

"Scraps" In Wales (well South Wales anyway) are called "Scumps" - the tiny bits of batter that fall off - BTW your being ripped off if you have to pay for them!
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
DomConway
Filth

Quiff Boy wrote:Turbulent Force - The Leeds EP (Emissions Audio Output)
'tis a pretty decent ep actually... and i like like the new avatar quiffy, is from a damn fine 12" too... you a bit of a techno fiend too then or did you just like the look of the piccy?
the only thing to fear is fear itself
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

DomConway wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:Turbulent Force - The Leeds EP (Emissions Audio Output)
'tis a pretty decent ep actually... and i like like the new avatar quiffy, is from a damn fine 12" too... you a bit of a techno fiend too then or did you just like the look of the piccy?
a bit of both... although my relationship with techno has been a tad distant of late....

i used to do a bit of bedroom dj'ing. mainly detroit/chicago techno, bleepy abstract electronica & beatz/headz/trip hoppy stuff - plus8, warp, tresor, mo wax, etc etc etc :)

UR are very cool, and as i've said elsewhere, in the pant-fillingly scary stakes, they kick the s**t out of any dodgy darkling techno around these days :twisted: ;D :notworthy:

et tu?
Last edited by Quiff Boy on 26 Jan 2003, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
Overbomber

Lars Svensson wrote: The Bridewell is the cells in the basement of the Town Hall I seem to remember...Stopped being used in mid-90s methinks (coulda been earlier)
I spent the night there once, after drinking myself into unconsciousness on rough cider :roll:
DomConway
Filth

Quiff Boy wrote:i used to do a bit of bedroom dj'ing. mainly detroit/chicago techno, bleepy abstract electronica & beatz/headz/trip hoppy stuff - plus8, warp, tresor, mo wax, etc etc etc :)

UR are very cool, and as i've said elsewhere, in the pant-fillingly scary stakes, they kick the **** out of any dodgy darkling techno around these days :twisted: ;D :notworthy:

et tu?
Yep I'm a bit of a bedroom DJ too and have played a few parties in my time... I'm into most varieties of techno from harder loop-based s**t to deep chilled bleepy stuff. Faves of the moment would have to be Ben Sims and Akufen.
http://www.discogs.com/~DomConway
That's nowhere near all me vinyls, loads more are yet to be entered. Which could take a while seeing as I won't be seeing them for another 6 months or so :cry:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

nice... :)

Jeff Mills - "The Purpose Maker" - awesome 12"

and System 7 - "Alpha Wave" - the plastikman mix is superb! goes on forever and fucks with your mind completely!! :urff:

Laurent Garnier - Laboratoire Garnier! :von:

oooh, i could go on forever - some very nice tunes there ;) :notworthy:
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

Yes folks, but techno or car alarms, is a bag of old arse!! :lol:
Only a paand.
RobF
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Nope tisnt! (Mature debate coming up)

Anyway, @Quiff N Dom, System 7 are playing in Notts soon :) , I went to see Umek last night, twas rather good too.
"...by the time I get to Arizona..."
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

Yes it is (carring on the mature theme)
Only a paand.
RobF

Blah :evil: Silly lady.

Me think goff silly, me like techno ;D

Therefore me right.
DomConway
Filth

RobF wrote:Nope tisnt! (Mature debate coming up)

Anyway, @Quiff N Dom, System 7 are playing in Notts soon :) , I went to see Umek last night, twas rather good too.
Umek rules! Where was he playing? Saw him at Bugged Out in Manchester for my last nite out before I came over here and he was very funky indeed...
DomConway
Filth

Quiff Boy wrote:nice... :)

Jeff Mills - "The Purpose Maker" - awesome 12"

and System 7 - "Alpha Wave" - the plastikman mix is superb! goes on forever and **** with your mind completely!! :urff:

Laurent Garnier - Laboratoire Garnier! :von:

oooh, i could go on forever - some very nice tunes there ;) :notworthy:
top selections! wish i had them with me rather than on the other side of the world. still, filled up a few minidiscs with some choice tunes before i came away :D
RobF

DomConway wrote:
RobF wrote:Nope tisnt! (Mature debate coming up)

Umek rules! Where was he playing? Saw him at Bugged Out in Manchester for my last nite out before I came over here and he was very funky indeed...
He was playing at my mate Jeet's night in "The Marcus Garvey centre" which used to be the Raleigh social-club ballroom in Nottingham, before Raleigh dissapeared... Was very good, but it seemed to be full of children, and I had to leave at 4 cos' I was knackered :urff:
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Only a paand.
DomConway
Filth

RobF wrote:He was playing at my mate Jeet's night in "The Marcus Garvey centre" which used to be the Raleigh social-club ballroom in Nottingham, before Raleigh dissapeared... Was very good, but it seemed to be full of children, and I had to leave at 4 cos' I was knackered :urff:
Ah, the Marcus Garvey/Ballroom... Spent a few messy nites there a couple of years back! Didn't know much was still happening there. What's the nite your mate runs called?
RobF

Firefly. I used to put techno nights on there around 95-99, Megadog soundsytem at our lovely old night Bill The Cat :P Did we ever have the joy of your custom :eek: