Currently NOT reading

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

We're all good at putting down the titles that make us seem hip, groovy and smart. But it's time to 'fess up - which books have you failed to finish?

Dull?
Overrated?
Dated?
Waiting for the film instead?

I've just given up on Hardy's "Jude The Obscure".
Don't quite know why - it's not difficult to read or understand, but it completely failed to hold my attention.

Had a similar experience with MacBeth a few years back and I've yet to attempt the Bard again.
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Not all of us.

But a couple of weeks ago i tried reading some fantasy books, apparently they were supposed to be 'good ones', something by some guy called Bakker. It was dreadful, i couldn't read 10 pages. If the best sci-fi/fantasy books are those by Tolkien and Frank Herbert, then god help us.

Well ok, Mythago Wood series by Holdstock is better than either of them.

And btw, i hate Shakespeare. i don't think there's a more irrelevant writer, there are 'as irrelevant' writers, but not 'more'.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Pista
Cureboi

Got half way through Fingerprints of the Gods, before I put it down for a hi fi magazine.
Still there with the same page marked 3 months later.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Pista wrote:Got half way through Fingerprints of the Gods, before I put it down for a hi fi magazine.
Still there with the same page marked 3 months later.
Took me ages to get through that, but well worth the perseverence.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I've still not finished that biography of Lord Byron that's under my bed...

...three years after starting it.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Never got past halfway through Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged." Just really stopped giving a rat's arse about the main characters *and* the plot lines...
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

SINsister wrote:Never got past halfway through Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged." Just really stopped giving a rat's arse about the main characters *and* the plot lines...
From what I've heard about Ayn Rand, that's hardly surprising; her characters are just thinly-veiled cyphers for her own loony political beliefs.

About the only good it's been is as the *ahem* "inspiration" for Atlanta Hope's Telemachus Sneezed
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
James Blast
Banned

Espedair Street
Ulysses
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Well reminded, Blasty...

Excession...yawn....hmm, nice doorstop.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
canon docre
Overbomber

A book everyone told me is the best and I really really wanted to like it. I started about three times with Lord of the Rings (in my childhood) but never came past the passage, where Gandalf produces smoke rings for this elderly Hobbit. :|
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Planet Dave wrote:Well reminded, Blasty...

Excession...yawn....hmm, nice doorstop.
Really? I must have read it 7 or 8 times.
—Bertrand Russell
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

They've done an enquiry about that in Flanders a while ago, Hugo Claus' The Sorrow of Belgium was voted the book nobody read. Shame, tis really a good one, actually, not even all that dull!
James Blast wrote:Ulysses
That one on the other hand, I have never reachd its end either :(

And Dante's Divina Comedia, but that's probably because it's a translation which actually rhymes, so a bit old fashioned :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Obviousman wrote:
James Blast wrote:Ulysses
That one on the other hand, I have never reachd its end either :(
:lol: I knew someone would be in with that one!
Obviousman wrote:And Dante's Divina Comedia
In Florence at new year I went into the little church where he got married :eek: ... I never usually get "starstruck", if that's the word to use in reference to someone who's been dead hundreds of years, but I was quite in awe :notworthy:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

boudicca wrote:
Obviousman wrote:And Dante's Divina Comedia
In Florence at new year I went into the little church where he got married :eek: ... I never usually get "starstruck", if that's the word to use in reference to someone who's been dead hundreds of years, but I was quite in awe :notworthy:
Another fun fact about it: There is (or probably used to be in the meanwhile) a restaurant near Florence whose innkeeper knew and recited the whole of La Divina Comedia by heart :eek: :notworthy:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

itnAklipse wrote:Not all of us.

But a couple of weeks ago i tried reading some fantasy books, apparently they were supposed to be 'good ones', something by some guy called Bakker. It was dreadful, i couldn't read 10 pages. If the best sci-fi/fantasy books are those by Tolkien and Frank Herbert, then god help us.
Try, among others: Terry Pratchett (deffo!), Weis & Hickman, Marion Bradley, David Eddings, Tad Williams, Mercedes Lackey, Robin Hobb, Raymond E. Feist.

And on topic, I started in a book by Tom Holt, because every called him the 'New Pratchett'... Forget it... it's dull writing :| (I just took the bait because I ran out of Pratchetts to re-read ;) )

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Pratchett

waits for mass rebuttal :innocent:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

weebleswobble wrote:Pratchett

waits for mass rebuttal :innocent:

Not from me - I've never read any... :oops: :lol: :von:
scotty
Overbomber

The Catcher in the Rye, I've tried Half a Dozen times but just can't be bothered to finish it.
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

scotty wrote:The Catcher in the Rye, I've tried Half a Dozen times but just can't be bothered to finish it.

...which happens to be my favorite book of all time. And it's not even a very long book! Dang. :lol: :P :von:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka

just couldnt get into it :|

Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake

just too goddam big :urff: :oops:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
boudicca
Sister Midnight

scotty wrote:The Catcher in the Rye, I've tried Half a Dozen times but just can't be bothered to finish it.
Ah, I tried that one when I was 13, and I got about halfway through before losing interest. I should probably try again, from what I hear I think I'd like it a lot better now...
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

boudicca wrote:
Ah, I tried that one when I was 13, and I got about halfway through before losing interest. I should probably try again, from what I hear I think I'd like it a lot better now...
I read it a while ago and found it too much like a kid's book, actually. Was not convinced at all.
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

boudicca wrote:

I *am* Holden Caulfield. :wink: :von:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Obviousman wrote:I read it a while ago and found it too much like a kid's book, actually. Was not convinced at all.

Interesting... I don't find anything childish about it - quite the opposite. It's written from a teen's perspective, of course, but the themes are most definitely adult. The protagonist is childlike, which may be a reason why you find the book juvenile..? Just my take on it, your mileage may vary, of course! :wink:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Gormenghast - got to the third book and sacked it about 10 pages in, never to return.

Sinnie - I was reading this thread when in walks Ethan, and promptly pipes up 'That doll looks well scary and wierd' about your avatar. Cheers mate, he's probably gonna grow up to be a goth now. :urff: :lol: