Happy Birthday Richard Dawkins

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Groovy Science Dude

Happy birthday.

(He's married to Romana from Dr Who too -- ultimate geek kudos :lol: )
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Hmm, I find his attitude to religion a bit sixth-form at times (the Osama Bin Laden of Atheism... maybe not :lol: ) but yeah, he has made some very worthwhile contributuons to popular science, no doubt.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

"Our survey says!" ("It's time to start RUNNING!")

Oops - that's Dawson...sorry! :lol: :P :roll: :wink: :innocent:

*coat*
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Quite enjoyed the selfish gene and a mate has given me three more of his books I am still to read :eek: :lol:

Have a good one 8)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Obviousman wrote: Have a good one 8)
Wait a minute, is he on here?!? :eek: :lol:
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

He's as bad as theists, putting all his faith into science. I really dislike positivism, it's as unhealthy as rampant theism.

I think it was Nietzsche who pointed out that each generation realizes the arrogance of the former generation for thinking they had the truth, but then makes the exact same mistake. But instead of realizing this and saying reason is practical and useful, they proclaim it's self-correcting, but you have to have a lot of faith to think it's correct this time or will one day be absolute, since there are thousands upon thousands of questions out there and we're not going to be around forever.

Also, I wonder if Dawkins has heard of David Hume's problem of induction, or read Nietzsche's On Truth and Lies, two works which have greatly influenced my way of seeing things and really put me off positivism.

EDIT - I should edit this properly when I have the chance, at the moment it looks like the ravings of a lunatic. But for now I'll just say I'm not overly impressed with Dawkins.
Last edited by nick the stripper on 26 Mar 2007, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

boudicca wrote:
Obviousman wrote: Have a good one 8)
Wait a minute, is he on here?!? :eek: :lol:
Someone seems to have his/her birthday today? :lol: Don't really suppose so, but anyhow :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

nick the stripper wrote:Also, I wonder if Dawkins has heard of David Hume's problem of induction, or read Nietzsche's On Truth and Lies, two works which have greatly influenced my way of seeing things and really put me off positivism.

Wow, thanks for those, Nick, seriously - so rare that I get to use my brain first thing in the morning!

;D :notworthy: :kiss:
Arch Deviant
Amphetamine Filth

nick the stripper wrote:EDIT - I should edit this properly when I have the chance, at the moment it looks like the ravings of a lunatic. But for now I'll just say I'm not overly impressed with Dawkins.
You certainly do look like that. Though I have to agree Dawkins is a narrow minded fool.
Y quedo llorando, llorando, llorando, llorando por tu amor
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Christ, I love Wikipedia! I could sit here and follow link after link after link all day, information wh0re that I am!

Oh, wait - I already do that, never mind.

;D :roll:
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Arch Deviant wrote:
nick the stripper wrote:EDIT - I should edit this properly when I have the chance, at the moment it looks like the ravings of a lunatic.
You certainly do look like that.
:eek:

I think he has a good point, personally 8)
Dr. Moody
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

HBD :P ....
seems to be a few interesting interviews n essays here...

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/science/

http://www.infidels.org/
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Oooooooooooooooo, thanks, Doc!
bushman*pm
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

sorry about this, but zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
well thats bored the (.)(.) off me!
LAND ROVER: THE BEAST FOUR BY FOUR BY FEAR! KICKS THE ARSE OFF RICEBURNERS!
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

bushman*pm wrote:sorry about this, but zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
well thats bored the (.)(.) off me!

*Note to self: no discussions of existentialism with the bushman, if/when we ever meet up. Check! :lol:

Pffffffffffffffffft. I guess there's always the weather, eh? :P
sultan2075
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:
Arch Deviant wrote:
nick the stripper wrote:EDIT - I should edit this properly when I have the chance, at the moment it looks like the ravings of a lunatic.
You certainly do look like that.
:eek:

I think he has a good point, personally 8)
I agree. Dawkins may be a fine scientist, but he is a lousy philosopher and has given little or no thought the limits of reason or to the limits of scientifc method. It's a method designed for describing things in terms of mechanical causality--i.e., efficient and material causality, nothing more. Where Dawkins goes wrong is in his applications of knowledge of efficient and material causality to claims about formal and final causality; to put it another way, he presupposes (a rather crude) positivism and builds his arguments from there, rather than proving that positivism is the case. At the end of the day, he's a very fine scientist but he fundamentally lacks the necessary skills and knowledge of philosophy to try and make the arguments he's making--thus, all he can do is preach to the converted; and his shockingly rude rhetorical scorched-earth strategy will win him few, if any, converts. At the end of the day, I have yet to see any reason to take him seriously as a philosophical thinker.
Last edited by sultan2075 on 27 Mar 2007, 03:12, edited 1 time in total.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

I *heart* studying and blabbing about philosophy.

In spite of this, my take on it all is: you won't *really* know until you're dead, and maybe not even then. Meh. :evil: :cry: :von:
scotty
Overbomber

SINsister wrote:
In spite of this, my take on it all is: you won't *really* know until you're dead, and maybe not even then. Meh. :evil: :cry: :von:
I alway believe a wee bit, it's playing the odds, if you believe in a God and you die, well, you're Quids in :D , if you don't believe and you die and there is a God..................you're fucked, if there's not a God.........doesn't really matter either way.
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
boudicca
Sister Midnight

"I figure I'll go for the life of sin, followed by a presto-changeo deathbed repentance..." :innocent: :twisted:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

scotty wrote:
SINsister wrote:
I alway believe a wee bit, it's playing the odds, if you believe in a God and you die, well, you're Quids in :D , if you don't believe and you die and there is a God..................you're fucked, if there's not a God.........doesn't really matter either way.

Yeah, but I wanna know ALL of it, and I wanna know all of it right NOW. :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :von:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

boudicca wrote:"I figure I'll go for the life of sin..."

I'd like to, as well, but it doesn't seem like I can even get being "wrong" right... :evil: :cry:
scotty
Overbomber

SINsister wrote:

Yeah, but I wanna know ALL of it, and I wanna know all of it right NOW. :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :von:
:roll: bloody Women, and if you found out you'd only say it was wrong, that it was all Men's fault and you'd just go and change everything :innocent: :twisted:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

scotty wrote:
SINsister wrote: Yeah, but I wanna know ALL of it, and I wanna know all of it right NOW. :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :von:
:roll: bloody Women, and if you found out you'd only say it was wrong, that it was all Men's fault and you'd just go and change everything :innocent: :twisted:

Nah - I only care about logic. All of that "men/women" stuff is illogical, irrational, unreasonable, and often, really effin' silly (not to mention, effin' annoying) and therefore, I can't be arsed to think about it. ;D :P :wink:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

nick the stripper wrote:Also, I wonder if Dawkins has heard of David Hume's problem of induction

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm...thanks, yet again, for this: I hadn't delved into Hume at skool, and was unaware that someone else (hehe) thought about cr@p like this, too. My friends think I'm just nuts when I attempt to discuss such things; well, if I'm "nuts," at least I know now that I'm not alone, hee... ;D

And yeah - I demand PROOF, dammit!!! Always. GRRRR. :evil:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

BTW: If you like Dawkins, watch this, never watched it myself (cause I can't be arsed to just watch my computer screen without doing anything myself for about half an hour) but it's said to be quite good!
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr