Now what is vision thing supposed to mean?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Tidal
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

So I was wondering whilst listening to Detonation Boulevard. Great song if you ask me, but somehow this forum taught me to feel guilty about such a thought- because Mr. :von: made Vision Thing an album in which nothing is what it seems. And that actually liking any of them would ridicule me because I don't understand what the real meaning of the song is.

Well, I give up. I have heard Vision Thing about fifty times now ( or so I estimate, by how many times I hear each song individually in my PC playlists), and I haven't got a clue. What's cynical, what's bitter about looking good in ribbons? Or a black hole in a killing zone? Or being impressed until you hit the floor?

I heard vision thing was supposed to be a parody on "rawk". Well, it sounds damn like "rawk" to me, so what is in it that assures the real Sisters fan that it is not?
It's good to be back
DTS
Road Kill

I think George Bush ( the father of the current one), said during a speech " Vision thing" .... and Von took it as the title of the album ( which is unquestionably not US friendly).

That's what I have heard....
D/T=S(peed)
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

what's bitter about looking good in ribbons?
Along with "flowers on the razor wire" that phrase could be taken to mean "she looks good while she's self harming" (cutting herself to ribbons is a comman phrase).

I think "I was wrong" is looking at a break up where his love has left him for another man, but with some bitter humour "I can love my fellow man, but I'm damned if I'll love yours". Again, taking a comman phrase and making it a whole lot more sinister.

Something fast is packed to the brim with the sleazy end of sex and drugs. A red light implies a prositution district and I think its fair to say that a certain chemical could be descibed as "fast".

Eldritch once said that, although its quite a dark album, its actually rather funny. I think Vision thing should be listened too while smiling out of the corner of your mouth.

Sisters lyrics can be a pain to disypher, but don't get so het up This forum shouldn't teach you to feel guilty. I fond that most sisters fans (and dirty goffiks) tend to be quite bright, and most bright people tend to be opinionated, and will voice said opinions. Don't let that perturb you. State what you think, and don't be afraid to enter into discussion!

Know where the line is between how a song makes you feel and what a song is actually about. Those of us that like Vision thing will tell you that it rawks, and them that don't will probably tell you to bugger off and listen to some Motorhead. But nobody will try and tell you that something fast is about mushroom picking. Do you see where I'm coming from?
Nationalise the f**king lot.
christophe
Overbomber

it was something like that yes.

I remember there was a site that explained the whole album but I have lost the link.
Another Shade of You.
Dr. Moody
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Badlander
Overbomber

DTS wrote:I think George Bush ( the father of the current one), said during a speech " Vision thing" .... and Von took it as the title of the album ( which is unquestionably not US friendly).
Most definitely. Wasn't it somehow related to his idea of New World Order ? Anyway, it has to do with US policy.
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
christophe
Overbomber

that was the one :D
thx
Another Shade of You.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Keef really really likes Vision Thing - why not drop him a line? :lol:
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Maisey wrote:I think "I was wrong" is looking at a break up where his love has left him for another man, but with some bitter humour "I can love my fellow man, but I'm damned if I'll love yours". Again, taking a comman phrase and making it a whole lot more sinister.
I love that line. I was in a similar situation not long after VT came out. :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell