The Covens 5th Anniversary Review

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
DJ Nephilimbabe
Road Kill

With guests Screaming Banshee Aircrew

This night has been in the planning for what it seems like months, and all of a sudden it was here. Not surprisingly, with Julys edition of Thursday Fury and my guest slot at The Electric Ballrooms Inferno, it has made time go much faster. Well, that and the fact I’ve been out of my head on painkillers for almost two weeks as a result of slipping a disc in my back, I’m sure I’ve missed a few days in between!

Just to show you things never seem to change, when we arrived at thF in the afternoon to put up the decoration, we walked into basement one to find the room completely flooded due to a rather broken ice machine. Usually the decorations/set up takes approximately 1 hour between the two of us, more if thF haven’t bothered to set up the room in advance. Upon complaining to the rather useless staff, the security guard arrived with a mop and bucket, of which anybody would reckon he’d never used one before in his life and managed to soak up as much water as a house brick!

Basically after an hour of him moving the water from one place to the other, I took over and insisted they call a duty manager (of which should be present at all times anyway.) In the end I left the building after 3 hours of cleaning up the bloody place, and after receiving a bollocking from the building supervisor for being there in the first place. Apparently, promoters aren’t allowed on the premises without a technician at hand, so after eighteen months of unaided decorating (which was granted by the boss within the very first emeting we ever had), another stupid rule is forced upon us, but enough of my ranting. Hell, just think what would of happened if we had of turned up till our usual time of 8pm!

Anyway, the night in question basically was just amazing. The venue filled up nicely and Screaming Banshee Aircrew created the perfect party atmosphere. Probably the most new faces I’ve ever seen on our nights, but sadly, with the M1 being closed, and SBA playing London next weekend, it probably may of hindered a few more peeps out of their hometowns!

It certainly was also one of the hottest nights we’ve encountered, obviously fuelled by the fact it was packed out, to which I think the band were definitely the worst affected. After a gruelling 75 minutes of some of the best live music I’ve heard in a while, they left the stage leaving behind a very contented crowd.

With the heat, it took a while to get the crowd back again into “dance mode�. Even though we had the mini-extension, people had had enough by 1.30am, which is why I resorted to playing the “crowd pleaser� tracks at the end of my set.

So, all in all, it was one hell of an evening. My special thanks to Screaming Banshee Aircrew for being on time, very friendly and professional, CovenAlex for his first set, Spon, our sound engineer for doing such a great job, and to all you that came to make the night so enjoyable.

We’re back again on Saturday 11th August for our “Summer Special� when our special guest will be DJ Uberman (Richard from Killing Miranda/Uberbyte)
And as stated, there will be no more monthly flyers, so grab the new 6 month version next chance you get (as featured on the MySpace page), that has all the details of the great nights we have coming up.

Pics here:- http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/n ... l/?start=0

Plus another review here:- http://www.evilpoppy.org.uk/pivot/entry.php?id=25

DJ CovenAlex – 9pm – 10.45pm
Ultraviolence - Hardcore Motherfucker
Gravity Kills - Guilty
Vast - Pretty When You Call
Sister Machinegun - Strange Days
Lords Of the New Church - Method To Our Madness
Spear of Destiny - Liberator
Christian Death - Loving Face
Nosferatu - Lucy Is Red
The Marrionettes - Like Christabel
Rosetta Stone - Deeper
Complicity - All Or Nothing
Die Laughing - Harlequin
All About Eve - Every Angel
Siouxsie & The Banshees - Shooting Sun
Revolution By Night - Faithless
Apoptygma Berzerk - Love Never Dies
Frontline Assenbly - Socail Enemy
VNV Nation - Nemesis
Exocet - Cyberside
SITD - Hurt
Hocico - Born To Be Hated
Front 242 - Animal (Zoo)
Cubanate - Kill or Cure
The Nefilim - Pazuzu

Screaming Banshee Aircrew

DJ Nephilimbabe – 12.00am – 2.00am
Killing Miranda – Conspiracy Theory
NFD - Darkness Falls
Grendel - Void Malign
Queen Adreena - Pretty Like Drugs
Curve - Hell Above Water
The Sisters Of Mercy - Body Electric (2nd)
Hocico - Untold Blasphemies
Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams ®
Rob Zombie - Pussy Liquor ®
The Merry Thoughts - Second Generation
Adam & The Ants - Phsyical (You're So)
Sheep On Drugs - Motorbike ®
Gothminister - Devil
Suspiria - Now We See The Swine
Combichrist - This s**t Will f**k You Up
Killing Joke - Millenium [Cybersank Extended Remix]
Project Pitchfork - Timekiller
New Model Army - White Coats
Siouxsie & The Banshees - Painted Bird
The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary (extended)
Rosetta Stone - Something Strange
Fields Of The Nephilim - Chord Of Souls
Bauhaus - She's In Parties
Blondie - Atomic
Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
Martha & The Muffins - Echo Beach
The Ruts - Babylon's Burning
The Sisters Of Mercy - Alice (Crystal Mix)