Gary Numan's top 6 albums

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
snowey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

In todays "Daily Express" (don't worry it's not mine). Gary Numan names his top 6 albums in the following order:

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty hate Machine

If you like your music dark and aggressive, this album set the standard for an entire generation. It's a relentless plunge into darkness. Brilliant.

T-Rex - The Slider

Depeche Mode - Songs Of Faith And Devotion

Possibly the most important in my life. At the time when my career and life was pretty much down the toilet, this came along. My songwriting recovered, my enthusiasm, desire, ambition, everything clicked into place.

The Sisters Of Mercy - Vision Thing

I've only been to two gigs where I knew nothing about the band beforehand, yet came away blown away. The first sisters gig I saw was one of them.

Ultravox - Systems of Romance

Ade Fenton - Artificial Perfect
Nic
Slight Overbomber

Maybe not the Sisters and DM albums I would have chosen...
All We Ever Wanted Was Everything
Spiggy's hat

I wonder when he saw the Sisters for the 1st time?
Give me one good reason
silentNate

Not the NIN album I would have chosen either.
Always liked Are Friends Electric? but thought he was a right-wing idiot ;)
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

A right-wing idiot with bad hair-plugs...

...Who married a woman who is/was one of his fans. In fact by some reports she was pretty much stalking him.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

Well it's one way to stop her doing that. Not the way most folks would have selected, but one way for sure. :lol:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Spiggy's hat

markfiend wrote:A right-wing idiot with bad hair-plugs...

...Who married a woman who is/was one of his fans. In fact by some reports she was pretty much stalking him.
I'm sure that I read somewhere that Gary & Mrs Numan are big buddies with Wayne.....very strange people :lol:
Give me one good reason
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Good call on the T Rex album.. I found a 2LP compilation to be insanely boring, but The Slider is full of songs which, whilst somewhat samey, are all top-notch.
spot778
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I looked at the title of this thread and thought bloody hell who could choose 6 top Gary Numan albums.

:lol:

I stop at maybe two.
End of line.
biggy

I saw Gary Numan on Wednesday in Nottingham. If you haven't heard/seen him for years you'd be quite surprised. Dark, doomy industrial stuff.

Ade fenton on his list is in his band so take no notice of that one.
Love ? Love is just f**king with a kiss thrown in !!!
James Blast
Banned

Numan really has taken a lefthand path with recent recordings, even I like them and I haven't liked anything since Replicas
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Carpathian Psychonaut

biggy wrote:I saw Gary Numan on Wednesday in Nottingham. If you haven't heard/seen him for years you'd be quite surprised. Dark, doomy industrial stuff.
Saw him on the tour before this one and was rather pleasantly surprised. The last couple of albums come across really, really well live.....
You’ll Disappear Before The Next Star Rises
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I think Gary Numan is and was rather excellent.

And with or without hair plugs, anybody who has Vision Thing and The Slider in their top six can't be all bad.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
James Blast
Banned

after Electric Warrior (seminal), I found The Slider sadly lacking
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
million voices
Slight Overbomber

A Sisters fansite isnt really the place for this, but..

They are totally different albums, each with own characteristics. Warrior is made by bloke still dreaming of stardom. Wheras Slider is the ultimate glam rock album made by teenybop star adored by zillions, (well at least in UK and Europe)

It's like making comparison between FALAA and Floodland. They have to be looked at from totally different perspectives and enjoyed for what they are.
Badlander
Overbomber

million voices wrote:A Sisters fansite isnt really the place for this, but..
What do you mean by that ?
a) This here isn't a "fansite", it's a discussion forum. :innocent:
b) Not used to threads being derailed, uh ? :P :lol:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
doctoravalanche

markfiend wrote:A right-wing idiot with bad hair-plugs...

:notworthy:

Nevertheless I have to admit that I do love the double live vynil album recooded at the Hammersmith Odeon.
Veda
Road Kill

Spiggy's hat wrote:I wonder when he saw the Sisters for the 1st time?
I'm thinking it must have been in the 80's. The only way I can fathom anyone being blown away in the 90's (and beyond) are those who never saw them the previous decade.

I didn't know that about Numan and his wife, that reminds me of an acquaintance and contemporary of his who also married his lovesick stalker, still don't get why women would want these men (most of em anyway) for keeps :?
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

silentNate wrote: but thought he was a right-wing idiot ;)
right-wing idiot, left-wing idiot who cares about that, take a look at the music.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Interesting that Sisters is getting positive mentions these days. Makes me wonder.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
million voices
Slight Overbomber

There is another touchstone between Bolan and Eldo, apart from Gazza's love, is that they have both been the subject of re-issues.

A few years ago Edsel re-released the 6 T.Rex Albums from the 1972-77 period along with the appropriate non-album singles as bonus tracks. They also released six cds of the same albums as works in progress and studio outtakes, they also released 8 albums of other studio sessions, also a live cd and a compilation of the T. Rex tracks from the Marc shows. This made a total of 16 albums of previously unreleased material.

Rhino have issued two tracks - twice. and not even all the singles.
Karst
Slight Overbomber

I'd say he saw them on the Vision Thing tour. He and Gemma were regular attendees of Mish shows (Mk. II onwards).
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

spot778 wrote:I looked at the title of this thread and thought bloody hell who could choose 6 top Gary Numan albums.

:lol:

I stop at maybe two.
I looked at the title of this thread and thought, "Gary Numan's *made* 6 albums?!" :eek: :roll: :innocent:

I used to be a huge fan, btw... :|
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
James Blast
Banned

SINsister wrote:I looked at the title of this thread and thought, "Gary Numan's *made* 6 albums?!"
more or less?

up on Dime, now Gary Numan Carling Academy, Bristol, England 26th July 2007
~ Peter Steele
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Karst wrote:I'd say he saw them on the Vision Thing tour. He and Gemma were regular attendees of Mish shows (Mk. II onwards).
I saw him at one of the NEC shows,can't remember which one.I tried to say hello but was blocked by some heavy security.

Actually I was slagging him off drunk weegie style i.e. anything goes--no prisoners :innocent: