Calling remastering experts: Kenny Giles

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Tidal
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I'm wondering whether if it possible to remaster the Kenny Giles Walks OZn Water bootleg. I got it a while now and I quite like it, but the sound quality is just abominable.

But since the biggest problem of the bootleg is that the lower tones are too dominant, I think it might be possible to remaster it effectively, it might even require not even that much effort...

But I'm lousy with computer issues, so I can't do it. My idea is; can a good remasterer take on this bootleg and try to make something out of it? I think it would be a very nice one once the sound quality is cleared up a bit. :)
It's good to be back
MH 3
Road Kill

Hi,

were can i listen to the files to tell you if its possible or not.

I use Sequoia + some restoration tools and would like to help.

Unfortunatly most of the Sisters Concerts are not very well recorded ( nearly 70% after 1985.

Regards
Nixon
Amphetamine Filth

MH 3 wrote:Hi,

were can i listen to the files to tell you if its possible or not.

I use Sequoia + some restoration tools and would like to help.

Unfortunatly most of the Sisters Concerts are not very well recorded ( nearly 70% after 1985.

Regards
A copy of this should be available in the sharing section, that's where I got mine from! :D :D
Tidal

It's not a live boot, but a studio bootleg. Therefore it should be possible to make it sound much better.

the link is http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=14828

I hoep you can do it!
It's good to be back
Karst
Slight Overbomber

To be honest, messing around with demo's etc. it not really a 'done' thing. This is the way the band recorded them. They were never intended to be of great sonic quality or anything. Part of their charm is the fact that they sound as if they were recorded from under somebody's armpit.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Karst wrote:To be honest, messing around with demo's etc. it not really a 'done' thing. This is the way the band recorded them. They were never intended to be of great sonic quality or anything. Part of their charm is the fact that they sound as if they were recorded from under somebody's armpit.
i think his point is that somebody f**ked up the sound deliberately before 'leaking' them. if you listen to the original tapes they're a world of difference better
Goths have feelings too
Tidal

yeah, and where might those original tapes be? :|
It's good to be back
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Tidal wrote:yeah, and where might those original tapes be? :|
send a PM to taylor :wink:
Goths have feelings too
Tidal

you mean there ARE originals of the Body Electric, Adrenochrome, Anaconda CNT / nonvocal verisons?! wow I'll Pm him :eek:
It's good to be back
James Blast
Banned

you're new here, ain'tcha? :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
more-sedatives-pls

Jan's stuff on dime is of a hell of a lot better quality -- not sure if these are the originals, but I tend to think so. Doesn't have the CNT's though, 'cuz they were released on whatever.

Anyhowz, be glad with what the good lord gives ya, and quit yankin' the chain. :roll:
Immodium for the people
Pista
Cureboi

Karst wrote:To be honest, messing around with demo's etc. it not really a 'done' thing. This is the way the band recorded them. They were never intended to be of great sonic quality or anything. Part of their charm is the fact that they sound as if they were recorded from under somebody's armpit.
Disagree BIG TIME.
Aren't demos supposed to be for the record company to say, "yeah record the b@stard"?
If they sounded like they came from under an armpit, then I can't see how that's going to sell the band's cause to the fat fcuckr with the money.

Which beggers the question.
Why do all the demo boots sound so bad?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
James Blast
Banned

Pista wrote:Which beggers the question.
they apparently don't but you have to be one of The Inner Circle to have heard them, I'm not in that club
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

Dan!
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
MH 3
Road Kill

Hi Tidal,

sorry for my late response. I listen to these files a few times and decided do do it not. Sorry for that.

Reasons why: there has be some major Damage done in transfer from the original source. I guess what we hear is approx. the 3rd transfer, so any cure might be even worse than the desease.

Regards
Pista
Cureboi

James Blast wrote:
Pista wrote:Which beggers the question.
they apparently don't but you have to be one of The Inner Circle to have heard them, I'm not in that club
Me neither. :|
I've given up listening to the demos now, as they all sound like they're coming from the next door neighbour's flat.
One day we might get a 1st gen recording pop up. That would be interesting.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:One day we might get a 1st gen recording pop up. That would be interesting.
I'm sure that that will happen. Or even better, that Andrew actually spends some time going back over these things and put out a set of radio performances, rare lives and demo's. Heh. :cry:
Pista
Cureboi

Karst wrote:
Pista wrote:One day we might get a 1st gen recording pop up. That would be interesting.
I'm sure that that will happen. Or even better, that Andrew actually spends some time going back over these things and put out a set of radio performances, rare lives and demo's. Heh. :cry:
Why do we do it to ourselves? :roll:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

Pista wrote:
Disagree BIG TIME.
Aren't demos supposed to be for the record company to say, "yeah record the b@stard"?
If they sounded like they came from under an armpit, then I can't see how that's going to sell the band's cause to the fat fcuckr with the money.

Which beggers the question.
We're talking about PRE-PRODUCTION demos, not the tawdry 8 track affairs that N00b bands send record companies.
Herr Administrator

sisters demos are usually so that the band (and assorted mates - see the victims of circumstance affair) can tell what their prospective song sounds like, and thus tweak bits accordingly.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Dan
Overbomber

Here's 1969, Good Things, Alice, I got these years before the Kenny Giles CD appeared, labelled as "Body Electric Demos Feb'82". I wasn't told they were "mega rare" or anything either! I think they're better quality than the ones on KG. http://www.sendspace.com/file/kbeq7d (mp3 @ 192kbps)

The tracks appeared in that order (although they're tracks 3,9 & 4 on the KG CD) and the end of Alice has been slightly recorded over so it ends abruptly, but that's exactly the same as it appears in the KG CD.
Tidal

Dear Dan! Thanks so much! You really are the demo expert :D

I listened and the difference (on MP3 that is) is rather minimal, but noticable. Especially the first part of Good Things is a bit better.
It's good to be back
James Blast
Banned

@ Dan :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

thank you
Jam~es :D
~ Peter Steele
lachert
Overbomber

can someone, please, reupload this Dan demos? i don't know what i was thinking about when it was online :eek:
long live rock'n'roll