XP Office...

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

How much should one look to be paying for this? Our old and slightly knock-off copy no longer works thanks to those scumbags at microsoft insisting that people pay to use their software. Fckrs. Anyway, t'missus needs Office in its various guises for her degree course which starts up again next week, and it looks like we're gonna have to bite the bullet. So, before she gets ripped off by the bloke in the shop down the road, what's the going rate please? I'm sure one of you knowledgable types will know... :D

Many thanks in advance.... :notworthy:
'What a heavy load Einstein must have had. Morons everywhere.'
eotunun
Overbomber

There's Open Office for free, which handles similarly, has advantages at handling big files (According to what I heard, I don't have that much to say (elsewhere, that is) thus I can't speak out off my own eyperience).
http://www.openoffice.org/ <= Looky here.. ;D

Editted thrice... :roll:
Not.my.day.
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
Pat
Slight Overbomber

If you or someone you know uses Office at work, Microsoft will sell you or them a copy of Office for about 10quid which includes p&p for use in the home.There should be a link on the Microsoft site somewhere,it's about 6 month since I was offered a copy.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Cheers for the replies :D Am currently d/ling openoffice, so we'll see how that goes.
'What a heavy load Einstein must have had. Morons everywhere.'
eotunun
Overbomber

They didn't reinvent the wheel, some buttons are just placed differently.
Some troubles at reading MS-Office files, some troubles at exporting to them. Nothing you couldn't solve by editting.
Last edited by eotunun on 13 Sep 2007, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Wasn't impressed by OpenOffice myself TBH. For the other one, plenty of solutions.
Last edited by Obviousman on 14 Sep 2007, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
psichonaut
Overbomber

I use my friend copy...and he uses his friend copy...and.... :| :) :D :lol: ;D :innocent:
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
Pista
Cureboi

IIRC, you can download the full blown version from giganews.
Means registering & getting a reader, but it's quick.
The downside is that when you do actually install it etc. it takes you to the MS website where upon you have to register it & pay a license.
A heads up for those who want to take a copy home from work & pop it on your home pc.
They are usually encoded so as soon as another installation happens, the company who bought the disc will get a bill for another user license.
Sneaky baskets :roll:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Go for OpenOffice. What's the point of tying yourself to Micro$oft when you don't have to?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
streamline
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote: What's the point of tying yourself to Micro$oft when you don't have to?
Does the demon's full name activate the swear filter now?? :eek: :lol:

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:lol: no it's just me. Although we could ask QB to change the swear filter...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

:lol:

tbh, i use office 2003 for mac because its the the only mac 'office' app at the moment that guarantees 100%(ish) compatibility with all the doc formats that float around our workplace

tried a few other flavours of mac office - openoffice etc and unfortnately none of them cut quite the mustard :(

for my personal stuff i use the apps that come with apple iLife'08 - 'pages' for word proc & 'numbers' for any basic spreadsheet stuff (unless i get an excel doc that i need to work with, which is rare), and keynotes for presentations

our company email is all done via an ms exchange server, so i'm probably the only person in the world hooking into it using ms entourage for mac - which is possibly the worst attempt at an outlook port for mac there has ever been :urff: no. strike that. its probably the worst mail client ever.

i cant use 'mail' or 'thunderbird' at work because we use shared folders a lot, and it causes no end of trouble with those 2 progams :roll:

enoutourage is utter cack :urff: :(

i also have to have a windows partition on my macbook pro, because i do a lot of java development and on a mac its just too slow and unstable to work with, plus our main choice of application server - bea weblogic - bombs out on my mac :roll:

when i've bootcamp'ed over into vista world i use ms office 2007 - its a slight improvement over the previous version of ms office for pc (2003?) but its still not as slick as it could be.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?