URGENT: very geeky help needed ASAP!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

right - emergency possibly situation. my web designer, who now has had 10 months to finish a site, is throwing a hissy fit because she's being asked what's going on. all along it's been a point that we'd launch within a few hours of the band's launch, and that now doesn't look like it will happen.

given the bad feeling that's going on in the group at the moment, it's possible that she might walk, leaving us with no site.

waaaaaahhh... can anyone possibly help if it comes to that? i couldn't do it, and neither could anyone else. not without it being a pigs ear.
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I can make a very basic site, Ems (when I say basic, I mean basic). If you want Flash and proper website design, I'd recommend asking the geeks.
James Blast
Banned

beyond ma ken too Ems, I just do the 'bits' to look at
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
mh
Above the Chemist

I can do HTML, ASP and .NET stuff, I can even code the entire site as DLLs written in C or C++, but I'm very very very limited when it comes to the open source tools.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I can do you a php/MySql site, which can have a forum (much like this one) and various other dynamic content.

BUT as you might have guessed from my (lack of) posting recently, I'm a bit short on time at the moment...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

what do you need? and what do you have so far? :)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i wish i knew...
Karst
Slight Overbomber

10 months?

You can try and run a compition on Sitepoint.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

k- current situation - webmistress put the site online, copyrighted to the project, and now refuses to let us have any access to it, act as mods, refuses to discuss it and hasn't been online or contactable since friday. this leaves us somewhat over a barrel.. we'll fight on that one.

she also holds the keys to another of my sites which i'm not happy about, and won't do any work for it or hand over responsibility for. therefore i want to have that site rebuilt and transferred out of her control. for this one she doesn't own the domain or the hosting, Sixsister do.

(someone is going to get the benefit of my temper soon. )

does anyone fancy having a look at www.optimumimpact.co.uk? having a heartland mass effort?
Pista
Cureboi

Just had a look.
Is there anything we should be doing?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

building a new site?
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

current situation - webmistress has issued a message from her fiance, telling us to put up and shut up, as HE owns the domain and hosts the site, and will turn it off. AND offering all sorts of advice to her about how to deal with us. he has nothing to do with our project...
ever felt sh*t on?
we've bought a new domain, and intend to host it away from his control if they continue to refuse to hand over any responsibility.

help? anyone? pm? mail? msn? :|
James Blast
Banned

me and The Big Yin could pay them a visit...
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

C'mon, folks, step up to the plate! Our dear Ems really needs help! If I knew anything about site design/creation/programming, I'd be on it in a flash (see what I did there? ;) :P)! Dagnabbit. :(
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Sadly I don't know nuffin bout web design :( I can help with user-friendly navigation if that's any good to you?
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

I draw pictures and do coloring-in for a living

see what I did there? :lol:
~ Peter Steele
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

it will be, i'm sure... i don't know how these things work, who has to do what and how they fit together.
said bloke is now waffling on about how much time and money he's spent on it. whoopydo. not at OUR request, he didn't.
James Blast
Banned

is he sleeping with their former bass player?
~ Peter Steele
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

In all serious Ems, I think you need to think legally. I'm hazy on online law, but I'm sure this is a breach of contract of the severest level. Isn't there something about ownership of concept versus ownership of hosting, or something?

Mind you, if you could make a clean break, that could be good. I wish I could offer my services, but my tatty HTML wouldn't match up to what these - albeit duplicitous - characters have provided.

Luck!
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

OK... webmistress has informed us that she'll be shutting the site down as from 1st jan. there's no point us keeping the site as it is, apparently it's a technical nightmare anyway. we're going to try and buy the existing domain, but we have one ready if not.

help!
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

emilystrange wrote:help!
i still don't understand what you want... :?:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i'm mailing you... x
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

well, the situation is that we have a new site, a lot of it is set up. it's all off the peg, whereas the other was custom built. what we need is suggestions, maybe. a bit of tech help. someone to help us do the
things we can't do, cos we're not geeks. there's a lot out there that we don;t even know what we can do.

or any pointers to what we could be doing as an alternative. all we want to do is be able to add content and mod our place, which we can't do at present, we've not been given any access at all. ultimately we can have the format rebuilt if this isn't how we want
it, which it won't be to start off!