Academy no more

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Black Shuck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack bar, sucking sickly sausage rolls

:roll: :roll:
In response to the people who were moaning about the Sisters playing at the 'scary', 'unatmospheric' Manchester Academy, the gig now appears to have been switched to the much smaller Manchester University main hall, just down the road- a much nicer venue (always seems to be very sweaty inside!)
probably due to slow ticket sales- Rather sad, really, that the Sisters can't even sell out the 1,500 capacity Academy (6 years ago they played to 3,000 at the Manchester Apollo)

Hopefully this will spur Von and co. to GET THEIR ARSES IN GEAR AND BRING OUT A NEW CD!!
Lars Svensson wrote:
Black Horizon wrote:What's so scary about the Manchester Academy? :?: :? :urff:
a) It's in Manchester...Which for many people will elicit the well-considered and - to my mind - perfectly reasonable response "'Nuff said!"
Hey, what's wrong with Manchester? OK so there's a minor scally infestation, but I've been going out in Manc since I was 14, and have never been mugged or anything. Loadsa cool shops as well, it's the best city in the world, much better than smelly old Leeds
Gazza for England manager
Lars Svensson
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Black Shuk wrote::
Hey, what's wrong with Manchester? OK so there's a minor scally infestation, but I've been going out in Manc since I was 14, and have never been mugged or anything. Loadsa cool shops as well, it's the best city in the world, much better than smelly old Leeds
Whatever you want to believe, that's fine by me :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: ... :roll: :roll: :roll:

However, good news re the Academy... But where's your info from??

Things can only get better...
Amused to death...
Black Shuck

8) 8) All the ticket sites such as ticketmaster now list the venue as the Manchester university. The Academy is actually owned/run by the university, and gigs are always getting moved about from one venue to the other, very annoying (e.g. Placebo recently got 'upgraded' from the uni to the Academy.)
If you've already got academy tickets, they will still be valid. :wink:
Lars Svensson
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Wahey! Thanx for that...
As long as they're still playing, that's the main thing... ;D
Amused to death...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

yup, they've re-branded the venues... did it a while ago.

what was the academy is now "academy 1"

the main room at the students union is now "academy 2"

the smaller room at the union (top floor?) is "academy 3"

went to see puressence at academy 2 a couple of months ago and it had a superb sound & acoustics, much better than the academy 1's pa systems.. and more atmosphere :)

am looking forward to it even more now ;)

let's just hope that von is still on good form and not pissed off at the down-sizing of venue :roll:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Black Shuck

:roll: :roll:
1997: Manchester Apollo
2000: Manchester Academy
2003: Manchester uni

hmm, there's a pattern emerging here. By my calculations, contrary to what it says here (near bottom of page):

http://www.the-sisters-of-mercy.com/misc/deardok.htm

In 2012 the sisters WILL be playing in my back garden for ten quid. You're all invited! I can't wait!
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Black Shuk wrote::roll: :roll:

hmm, there's a pattern emerging here. By my calculations, contrary to what it says here (near bottom of page):

In 2012 the sisters WILL be playing in my back garden for ten quid. You're all invited! I can't wait!
2004: Timperley Cricket club

though with all that mist about on the golf course. It should be nice and atmospheric :wink: :von:
Goths have feelings too
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

paint it black wrote:
Black Shuk wrote::roll: :roll:

2004: Timperley Cricket club

though with all that mist about on the golf course. It should be nice and atmospheric :wink: :von:
timperley? ;D :urff:

still trying to perpetuate the "eldritch is frank sidebottom" myth then pib? :D ;D :lol: :D ;D :lol: :D ;D :lol: :D ;D :lol: :D ;D :lol: :D ;D :lol:
reverberater
Amphetamine Filth

It's still beyond me how they can ask £22.50 for a ticket mind. That'll be slowing the ticket sales methinks :(

Glad you told us though. I would av gone to the original without even looking at my ticket :oops:
Guided by the light and by the catholic monochrome
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Quiff Boy wrote:
still trying to perpetuate the "eldritch is frank sidebottom" myth then pib? :D ;D :lol: :D ;D :lol: :D ;D :lol: :D ;D :lol: :D ;D :lol: :D ;D :lol:

Quiffy, I was on a football trip with him a few years back and he did start singing /playing Temple Of Love / Lucretia and alot of other goth nonsense :lol: :lol: :lol:

but I would have thought Eldo was more likely to be Little Frank :P

Whoops :von:
Goths have feelings too
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

paint it black wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:

Quiffy, I was on a football trip with him a few years back and he did start singing /playing Temple Of Love / Lucretia and alot of other goth nonsense :lol: :lol: :lol:

but I would have thought Eldo was more likely to be Little Frank :P

Whoops :von:
:lol: :D :twisted:
Black Shuck

reverberater wrote:It's still beyond me how they can ask £22.50 for a ticket mind. That'll be slowing the ticket sales methinks :(
Yeah, I've ranted about this too much already so I'll keep it brief, but 22.50 is a rip-off, I could buy TWO tickets to see That Guitarist solo at the Flowerpot in Derby for that price. You can keep your 'smoke and mirrors'
Come on, Andrew, You can't let your old sparring partner out-value you!?