The Lost Patrol - New York - 6th Sept 08

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

as a few of you know we're off there next week for a few days 8)

events are being added to our itinerary daily, it seems. the latest of which is a gig by a band called the lost patrol, who are a friend's band:
The Lost Patrol

6th Sept 08

Fat Baby
112 Rivington St
New York, NY

8:00 PM
i am reliably informed:
Ed from TLP wrote:Sisters fans would definitely LOVE TLP.

Not sure if you knew this but Larry Alexander who produced/engineered Floodland is the guy who does some of our mixing and mastering. He's very good friends with Stephen of The Lost Patrol.
http://thelostpatrol.com/index2.shtml
http://www.myspace.com/lostpatrol

in case anyone here is in the locale - we'll see you there 8) :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Debaser
Overbomber

it seems that Gaz will be in N.Y for the Puressence gigs but will be arrriving on about the 8th.

PM me where you'll be stopping - he could do with a friendly face as muggins will be unable to attend due to work constraints :roll:

Same old, same old
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

:o ;D

ace!
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Count me in!
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

The Washington Post wrote:retro-surf-alternative-cocktail rock
:eek: :eek: :eek:

and they have a Mollie (sic) amongst their rank :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Mr. ED
Road Kill

Ha! I do have a Heartland account!

Thanks, quiffster! :notworthy:

Yes... you can definitely hear that drum machine-y, Alice-like influence in The Lost Patrol's sound, although it's a female vocalist akin to a young Grace Slick drenched in reverb. We typically use live drums as well, but our drummer is in love, got hurt surfing and works two jobs so we've been utilizing "Mr. Echo" on the kit. He's pretty versatile too, he does drums, strings, synth, bass and he never misses a beat, and doesn't get hurt surfing. :?

One fan described The Lost Patrol as the Fields of Nephilim meets The Beach Boys. :lol:

Cocteau Twins, Mazzy Star, Angelo Badalamenti, The Shadows (UK), Calexico, Siouxsie are fairly apparent signposts.

It's a great mix of sounds... you'll be impressed.

FYI, Larry Alexander who engineered Floodland also did Suicide's first album, Scary Monsters by Bowie and Rappin' Rodney by Rodney Dangerfield.
Mr. ED
Road Kill

James Blast wrote:
The Washington Post wrote:retro-surf-alternative-cocktail rock
:eek: :eek: :eek:

and they have a Mollie (sic) amongst their rank :lol:
Mollie is the actual spelling. ;)

She's a tiny little gal with massive pipes.
James Blast
Banned

Fuck Me! a talking horse. :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Mr. ED
Road Kill

James Blast wrote:Fuck Me! a talking horse. :lol:
Heigh James, or should I say Neigh James! :P
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

:lol: ;D :notworthy:
EvilBastard
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Fuck Me! a talking horse. :lol:
Why the long face? :lol:
Hank Moody
mh
Above the Chemist

Mr. ED wrote:Fields of Nephilim meets The Beach Boys.
This is either sheer genius or it will crash and burn horribly. :lol: :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Mr. ED
Road Kill

mh wrote:
Mr. ED wrote:Fields of Nephilim meets The Beach Boys.
This is either sheer genius or it will crash and burn horribly. :lol: :notworthy:
That's an odd description, but it's about as good as any. Depending on your musical background - we've heard quite a bit.

I prefer Cocteau Twins meets The Shadows.

Been going since 1999, CD# 7 this October.

http://www.myspace.com/lostpatrol
Mr. ED
Road Kill

Debaser wrote:it seems that Gaz will be in N.Y for the Puressence gigs but will be arrriving on about the 8th.

PM me where you'll be stopping - he could do with a friendly face as muggins will be unable to attend due to work constraints :roll:

Same old, same old
Can't believe he's not coming a few days earlier *sniff sniff* :(
Mr. ED
Road Kill

FYI, the doors are at 8:00pm, gig at 8:30pm. I recommend arriving a little earlier just in case.
Jesus Saves... but Espo tips in the rebound!
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

will do :)

looks like the puressence gig at mercury lounge is an early one too, with doors at 6.30 :o
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Great music, enjoyed the samples on myspace a lot - reminds me of another band called "And Also The Trees" because of the related sound/instrumentals.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

fwiw, this is the main reason we are going to nyc in the first place:

http://www.fitnyc.edu/aspx/Content.aspx ... xhibitions

a fashion show - but there's a book associated with it, and this is the launch party for it.

i helped with some of the research, did a short interview and also supplied a few photos from a couple of my goff rawk websites :lol: :P :innocent: :lol:
Mr. ED
Road Kill

DocSommer wrote:Great music, enjoyed the samples on myspace a lot - reminds me of another band called "And Also The Trees" because of the related sound/instrumentals.
I've heard of AATT, but don't think I've actually heard them. I'm curious and will now have to listen. Definitely a first for the band.
Mr. ED
Road Kill

By the way, the new Lost Patrol CD was just mastered by Larry Alexander (Floodland) this weekend, a first cut. Going to be listening all weekend and see if we have a final yet.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Was just in the city this past weekend; won't be able to make it back in on the 6th - lack of $$$, and I'm taking a day-long CPR course at the local Red Cross chapter (mandatory for one of my jobs).
Sorry, Quifflet. :cry: :|
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
EvilBastard
Overbomber

SINsister wrote:Was just in the city this past weekend; won't be able to make it back in on the 6th - lack of $$$, and I'm taking a day-long CPR course at the local Red Cross chapter (mandatory for one of my jobs).
:eek:
You came to the city and didn't look me up?! :cry:
If you can get the sheckels to cover transport down here then there's a sofabed with your name on it.
Hank Moody
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

EvilBastard wrote:
SINsister wrote:Was just in the city this past weekend; won't be able to make it back in on the 6th - lack of $$$, and I'm taking a day-long CPR course at the local Red Cross chapter (mandatory for one of my jobs).
You came to the city and didn't look me up?! :cry:
If you can get the sheckels to cover transport down here then there's a sofabed with your name on it.
Please don't take it poisonally, man. It was roughly 2 days of mainly kids 'n' chaos (in the form of my three nephews, all under 12, one of whom's 4 months old) and my sister-in-law's sister's two girls, ages 5 and 2)...not exactly my idea of a precious Labor Day weekend's R & R. :( Maneuvering a bunch of small fries (and trying to simultaneously keep them from getting run over/abducted/seriously injured) through Times Square throngs, and futilely trying to help soothe a screaming infant while racing through the Museum of Natural History made me quite glad that I'd made the decision long ago to never, EVER have kids. I was f*cking exhausted, to put it mildly. I had a couple of hours on my own in the East Village on Monday, during which I realized that the city just isn't what it used to be - at least, for me, anyway - and that being there without my mom makes me miss her more intensely, and takes all of the life out of the place for me. Washington Square Park was closed for renovations, and St. Marks's punks were few and far between. I sat alone in my brother's (temporary) soulless digs in the Beekman Hotel later, crying into reheated Japanese leftovers at the realization that NYC really isn't the "happiest place on earth" for me, anymore. In fact, it's not happy at all - it's cold and indifferent. Then the sick panic and claustrophobia set in again, and I just had to get out of that 21st-floor room. So I high-tailed it to the Port Authority and grabbed the earliest bus I could find back up here.

Dunno when I'll venture down there again; dunno if I want to. That, in and of itself, chills me.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

The plan is to meet at FatBaby around 7ish on Saturday for beer n'choons. Groovy people welcome 8)
Hank Moody
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Quiff Boy wrote:fwiw, this is the main reason we are going to nyc in the first place:

http://www.fitnyc.edu/aspx/Content.aspx ... xhibitions

a fashion show - but there's a book associated with it, and this is the launch party for it.

i helped with some of the research, did a short interview and also supplied a few photos from a couple of my goff rawk websites :lol: :P :innocent: :lol:

O, MFG*ff! I had no idea. Christ, FIT was my "dream school" when I was a starry-eyed teen/young adult and a wannabe fashion designer. Alas. :| *Sigh*
I'll definitely have to get down there (someday...) to see that exhibit. I *heart* Alexander McQueen! :notworthy:
Kudos, dear Quifflet! ;D