Train / Long Train

Unknown songs and demos, who wrote what, who sang what, the usual biographies, discography gubbins, photos of Eldritch with no sunglasses, etc, etc, etc, yadda, yadda, yadda....
anikk
Road Kill

One last one. Promised. :oops:

Is Long Train on the SAM218 flexi an extended version of the Body And Soul b-side Train?

If so, is it really more an extended version of Train or is it more a long remix. I ask because the term "amphetamix" exists on the web and I don't see this written on SAM218 on any photos. What is the story behind this term?
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Can't remember ever hearing "amphetamix" in relation to the Sisters (which doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that I don't remember) but it is the title of a m*****n remix of Tomorrow Never Knows.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Just a long remix. Not bad, though.
anikk
Road Kill

@Dark: I see, so it's not just longer but clearly a different mixing as well?

@stufarq: Yeah, the term is on many fan discographies and even on wikipedia in relation to Long Train:

http://www.ptvk.pl/jacyk/somsing.htm
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sisters_of_Mercy#1982

Strange.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

yep, 'long train' is an extended slightly-remixed version of 'train'

its available on this:
http://www.discogs.com/release/832989

and on the free flexi that came with ltd versions of 'walk away':
http://www.discogs.com/release/594159

it was also made available later as the b-side of the 'lucretia' single
http://www.discogs.com/release/448563

AFAIK there is only one version of 'long train' - its just had a couple of different mix names over the years
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Long Train is a couple of copies of Train cut up and (badly) sellotaped together.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

anikk wrote:@stufarq: Yeah, the term is on many fan discographies and even on wikipedia in relation to Long Train
Could it just be that fans have cofused the two names somehow? Or maybe Wayne reused the name. But since it doesn't seem to appear on any official Sisters material, I'd think the former is more likely. Anyone know for sure?
anikk
Road Kill

Yes, sure it can be. It seems so. Does anyone know this for sure?

And thanks Quiff Boy. Now I can imagine. Can't wait to have and hear both versions when having started collecting in the very near future. :)
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

I refer you to UTR Issue 7 http://www.myheartland.co.uk/gallery/de ... age_id=375

I've always known the flexi version to be the Amphetamix version and the name was changed for the Lucretia B side.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

But it doesn't say "Amphetamix" on the flexi, so that doesn't necessarily confirm it. Did that edition of UTR come out before or after Severina (which has the Tomorrow Never Knows Amphetamix on the 12")? Is there an official source for applying that name to Long Train?
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

stufarq wrote:But it doesn't say "Amphetamix" on the flexi, so that doesn't necessarily confirm it. Did that edition of UTR come out before or after Severina (which has the Tomorrow Never Knows Amphetamix on the 12")? Is there an official source for applying that name to Long Train?
I've always known the flexi version of Train to be called the 'Amphetamix" since I bought it new, so it dates at least to 1984. In the US fanzine "Romance And Assassination," published September 1985, the discography lists it as the "Amphetamix" also. I'm sure I can track down the origins somwhere.
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
jasonsmith
Road Kill

What train service should I use to get from Buffalo to Petoskey? I need to get from Buffalo, NY to Petoskey, MI on 16 June '07 and I need to know which train service to use. Or are there flights available?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

jasonsmith wrote:What train service should I use to get from Buffalo to Petoskey? I need to get from Buffalo, NY to Petoskey, MI on 16 June '07 and I need to know which train service to use. Or are there flights available?
Wha?

I'm really hoping that you've got a surreal sense of humour.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
despair
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:
jasonsmith wrote:What train service should I use to get from Buffalo to Petoskey? I need to get from Buffalo, NY to Petoskey, MI on 16 June '07 and I need to know which train service to use. Or are there flights available?
Wha?

I'm really hoping that you've got a surreal sense of humour.
Simply amazing if not :lol:
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Especially the time travel aspect. Can trolls time travel?
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

:lol:

Nice....on a Monday mornin' . :?
"as we walk on the floodland"
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Words fail me.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Pure genius.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
eotunun
Overbomber

indeed?
There is shadow under this red rock
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

bismarck wrote:
stufarq wrote:But it doesn't say "Amphetamix" on the flexi, so that doesn't necessarily confirm it. Did that edition of UTR come out before or after Severina (which has the Tomorrow Never Knows Amphetamix on the 12")? Is there an official source for applying that name to Long Train?
I've always known the flexi version of Train to be called the 'Amphetamix" since I bought it new, so it dates at least to 1984. In the US fanzine "Romance And Assassination," published September 1985, the discography lists it as the "Amphetamix" also. I'm sure I can track down the origins somwhere.
it says "amphetamix" on the sticker telling you about the free flexi on the cover of the walk away single that the flexi came free with. :wink:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Really? Mine doesn't. The sticker just says there's a free flexi and has the catalogue number - doesn't say what's on it. The disc itself just has "Long Train" - no mix name.
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
bismarck wrote:
it says "amphetamix" on the sticker telling you about the free flexi on the cover of the walk away single that the flexi came free with. :wink:
That's right -- it's on one version of the sticker. Thanks for the clarification and sorry for resurrecting the old thread.
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck