Bands who sound like the *current* Sisters?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
aims
Overbomber

Are there any and if so, which would you recommend?

I have 80s post-punk coming out of my ears, but little in the way of whatever it is you'd call what the girls are doing currently*. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 8)

* And yes, I have plenty of material by bands who aren't releasing anymore, before anyone goes down the "f**k all" route :lol:
sultan2075
Overbomber

You should check out Jessica's Crime. The Sisters are definitely an influence, but they're not a clone (which a lot of TSOM-influenced bands are). They are somewhere in the same neighborhood might be the best way to put it. You might like them.

http://www.myspace.com/jessicascrime

edit: here's a review of their last record by Mick Mercer: http://mickmercer.livejournal.com/858545.html
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
mh
Above the Chemist

I'd be inclined to go down the Skinny Puppy/Ministry/Nine Inch Nails route for the current sound. It's miles off, of course, but the mixture of rock guitar and electronic rhythm might tickle your fancy, and it's all I can think of right now.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

Don't look for similarities. Just celebrate difference.

Ooh, that's hippie, innit?

To me, there's more Abba in The Sisters than there's Skinny Puppy.
guns & cars & accidents
crash_and_burn
Road Kill

Tough question, but worth exploring. None of these bands sound exactly like the girls today, but there is a similar feel with them (I am thinking Crash and Burn or Summer or such):

Check out:

Tiamat - Judas Christ or Skeleton Skeletron. They started off as a death metal band in the late 80s, but have changed their style quite a bit.

Katatonia - another Swedish band that started off as death metal. Their post death metal vocals are very mellow, but some of their music could be considered similar to Sisters. Tonight's Decision, Discouraged Ones, or Last Fair Deal Gone Down might be what you're looking for, although some of the b-sides from the Great Cold Distance sound almost Cure-like (available on Katatonia's myspace currently).

Anathema - Judgment might be worth a try as well. This is a trend here - started off as death metal, but are now quite mellow. Except that these guys are from the UK.

Like I said, don't expect a reincarnation of the SoM with these, but there is just something about the feel that I get.

Good luck!
Bertran De Born
Amphetamine Filth

Well I think that the SOM influence on current music is much obvious on the black metal scene.
Try Burzum or Judas Iscariot.
IMO, the "sound alike" have never been really interesting, and always kind of a joke.
Crash -and-burn, you have also forgotten the Paradise Lost album "draconian times" for which the band even recorded a cover.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Sound-schmound-s**t aside - the Sisters are in the tradition that was pioneered, though not invented, by the Doors (of Jim's time). This tradition hasn't got anything else in common but that the muzak is fantastically real and non-conforming, which means that it has all that matters in common.
(Just to clarify, this non-conformity doesn't mean anything stupid like doing something different for the sake of difference, just doing things differently when they need be done so...people who non-conform the other way are just as bad as conformists...and if things need be done the same way someone else has done them, then that's fine, too).

If there were bands that sounded like the Sisters, i'd hate them. All real bands have their own sound, and that's a fact, mon ami.

i find it pitiful for people to look for a certain style of music. This goes to black metallers, too...Burzum and Darkthrone may be fantastic, perhaps Judas Iscariot, too, and a couple of others, but most of them are just as bad as Nirvana.
Last edited by itnAklipse on 23 Oct 2008, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Answers on a postcard please....
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
crash_and_burn
Road Kill

Burzum wrote:Well I think that the SOM influence on current music is much obvious on the black metal scene.
Try Burzum or Judas Iscariot.
IMO, the "sound alike" have never been really interesting, and always kind of a joke.
Crash -and-burn, you have also forgotten the Paradise Lost album "draconian times" for which the band even recorded a cover.
How could I have forgotten that one! I like that cd quite a bit. I even saw those guys last year.

Although, I have to say that I was completely unaware that a Walk Away cover (just googled it) had been issued on a bonus cd for that album.
James Blast
Banned

Draconian Times sounds more like pre Justice Metallica
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
aims
Overbomber

itnAklipse wrote:i find it pitiful for people to look for a certain style of music. This goes to black metallers, too...Burzum and Darkthrone may be fantastic, perhaps Judas Iscariot, too, and a couple of others, but most of them are just as bad as Nirvana.
And I find your response, amongst others, gratuitously obnoxious. I'm quite capable of deciding what music I do or don't want to listen to and separating the wheat from the chaff by whatever criteria I deem appropriate in the context. All I asked for was suggestions. I know why I'm asking and I don't need your tangential assertions that I shouldn't be.

Thanks for the contributions (particularly Tiamat) from people who didn't read the title as "Try my patience with faux-losophical nonsense".
shivarising
Amphetamine Filth

Paradise Lost - most especially One Second & Symbol of Life.

Someplace Burned. check out the song Shade of You and tell me that doesn't sound like the Sisters' "new" songs.
Ghostrider
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

imo..no band sounds like tSoM.. and i'm thankfull for that.. :)
i don't sleep, so i don't dream, so i don't wake up frightened...
everything is what it seems, if you look hard enough tonight and see...
Prescott
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Hypernova
"... because we're that kind of people."
doctoravalanche

The Merry Thoughts
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

doctoravalanche wrote:The Merry Thoughts
Hahahahahahahahahaha nice one! :lol: Image
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
doctoravalanche

markfiend wrote:
doctoravalanche wrote:The Merry Thoughts
Hahahahahahahahahaha nice one! :lol: Image

;D
RobF

Try listening to the above in combination with the below simultaniously whilst standing on your head in a bucket of whizz. That might do it.

"...by the time I get to Arizona..."
Llamatron
Amphetamine Filth

Honest answer: no one, really. No one else sounds like the Sisters sound now.

There are some Tiamat tracks (Brighter Than The Sun is the closest I've ever heard to someone sounding like current Sisters, complete with dodgy English-as-a-second-language-Eldritch clone lyrics :lol: ), and Paradise Lost get close on occasion, especially on One Second.

Katatonia is good, but more Tool-meets-Cure than Sisters. Too mellow and sad compared to the Girls' ballsier rock approach.

The first two Tomahawk albums (self-titled and Mit Gas) and The Tea Party's Transmission, Triptych and Interzone Mantras would probably go over well with fans of the Sisters' current sound. Porcupine Tree is way too prog-flavored, but they've got a similar vibe and rock guitar-meets-electronics thing.
Left at the dead badger.
James Blast
Banned

Tiamat are the only one's who come close, or are ye all daft!? ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
bismarck

Prescott wrote:Hypernova
...are opening here in NYC on the 3rd of Nov. I am psyched! I like them a lot.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I know it's not what you're asking, but of the "if you like The Sisters you'll love..." conversations / threads / posts I've had on here (and in real life) they've broken down roughly as:

30% bands I've hated
50% bands I've loved
20% bands I've never heard of.

:lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Prescott

doctoravalanche
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Post #16 Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:16 am Post subject:
The Merry Thoughts

Alright, alright you win.

But they shouldn't count because I thought we were asking about different bands (bands being defined as a group of individuals) that sound like the present Sisters. Since the present Sisters are Ben, Chris (May), Simon, Doktor and Andrew you are right. But since the same band members from The Merry Thoughts wrote half of the current Sisters set-list you're only half correct. ;)
"... because we're that kind of people."
crash_and_burn
Road Kill

Llamatron wrote:Honest answer: no one, really. No one else sounds like the Sisters sound now.

There are some Tiamat tracks (Brighter Than The Sun is the closest I've ever heard to someone sounding like current Sisters, complete with dodgy English-as-a-second-language-Eldritch clone lyrics :lol: ), and Paradise Lost get close on occasion, especially on One Second.

Katatonia is good, but more Tool-meets-Cure than Sisters. Too mellow and sad compared to the Girls' ballsier rock approach.

The first two Tomahawk albums (self-titled and Mit Gas) and The Tea Party's Transmission, Triptych and Interzone Mantras would probably go over well with fans of the Sisters' current sound. Porcupine Tree is way too prog-flavored, but they've got a similar vibe and rock guitar-meets-electronics thing.
That's a good and probably more accurate description of Katatonia currently, although, the simple drum beat on the albums I mentioned way above and simple licks remind me of the Sisters somehow. Actually, if it weren't for the death metal vocals, song Brave from Brave Murder Day would be right up the Sisters alley (Katatonia vocals are either brutal or super mellow).

To add to your comment, Porcupine Tree are a fantastic band, and as you say, you will find some interesting musical combinations there - some stuff sounds quite industrial, while other stuff is more like metal meets Pink Floyd, and then there is just some simple space rock stuff. Songs Fear of the Blank Planet and Sleep Together on Fear of the Blank Planet, as well as Deadwing on Deadwing do have some of that feel - but I agree, they are more prog flavored, especially their early albums (you may go through one of their albums and find very little similarity with the Sisters). Nonetheless, I got quite hooked and probably listen to them more than anything else now.
Rofocale
Road Kill

The Daughters of Bristols don't sound anything like the current version of TSOM, more like they sounded between 81-83. Copycats!? I don't care. I think they are bloody awesome!!!
http://www.myspace.com/thedaughtersofbristol