Observing

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
Kommandok
Road Kill

Everyone seems to be really critical about the sound on this US tour(and the last one). I was at two shows back in 2006(Seat-Hell and Vancouver BC). Seattle sounded horrible(among other things), but the Vancouver gig sounded awesome! Could the venue be a factor? Converted warehouses/factories vs. music halls? You're not gonna get the same results!
As a side note, I've toured with a very well known "Industrial" rock band..so I've seen good venues, bad venues, and really bad venues.
A good soundman can work wonders, but sometimes... :roll:
Sure... :von: may be singing low, but I can't help imagining a full time bass player(and/or a female backing vocalist)in the touring line-up. I'm sure that would round out/fill out the live sound. No space on the tour bus? :twisted:
Anyway..just wondering..
Do I drive?
Or am I driven?
Silver_Owl
The Don

Kommandok wrote:Everyone seems to be really critical about the sound on this US tour(and the last one).
From what I've read it would appear it was only the Worcester gig that had dodgy sound. The reports elsewhere have been glowing.
Kommandok wrote:Sure... :von: may be singing low, but I can't help imagining a full time bass player(and/or a female backing vocalist)in the touring line-up. I'm sure that would round out/fill out the live sound. No space on the tour bus? :twisted:
Anyway..just wondering..
It's been said before and I agree but budget probably won't stretch to the heady days of backing singers and bass players. But you're right - I would love a full time bass player.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

No female backing vocalist please... :von:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

sound is a matter of venue's acoustic but if venue's or band got enough equipment it could cover a bad acoustic. but mostly is a mix of soundman and venue conditions. i were on a few gig where soundman tried to did he's best- and i heard that - but he cannot jumped over the problem because of acoustic/equipment.

about live bass a backing female vocal - give him $$$$omething then who know
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Don't care about a bass player, but bringing back female backing vocals and More is a great idea...hope he gets the same ones as in Overbombing tour. Love her.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Ghostrider
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

why a female backing vocalist? why a bass player??

imo, Ben and Chris sing along with most songs, realy creating the feel like it's a real band again..

and bass.. at this moment i just can't imagine a 4th member on stage.. and if it's realy necesarry, we've seen Ben pick up the bass on several ocasions..
i don't sleep, so i don't dream, so i don't wake up frightened...
everything is what it seems, if you look hard enough tonight and see...
DancingtheGhost
Road Kill

Philly show sounded fantastic, as I'm sure anyone there would agree. As for adding a bass player & backing vocalist....bass player would be cool, though the Dr. seems to handle the job quite well. Also, the stage would be a bit crowded in the small venues. The only advantage to having a female backing vocalist would be...Under the Gun! While I can imagine Ben being able to handle backup on More, I don't think he'd fit in on a song like UTG. Just my opinions & not to be taken too seriously! :)
I bled all I can, I won't bleed no more
DancingtheGhost
Road Kill

Philly show sounded fantastic, as I'm sure anyone there would agree. As for adding a bass player & backing vocalist....bass player would be cool, though the Dr. seems to handle the job quite well. Also, the stage would be a bit crowded in the small venues. The only advantage to having a female backing vocalist would be...Under the Gun! While I can imagine Ben being able to handle backup on More, I don't think he'd fit in on a song like UTG. Just my opinions & not to be taken too seriously! :)
I bled all I can, I won't bleed no more
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

i shudder at the thought of More with male backing vox. Better not to have backing vox, then :lol:

But one of these days, they might prove me wrong...
we've got beer and we've got fuel
mh
Above the Chemist

Contrariwise, I've been at venues with generally good sound where the soundman has totally messed up the mix. It can go either way.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Martin
Amphetamine Filth

Ozpat wrote:No female backing vocalist please... :von:
I so agree!
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

mh wrote:Contrariwise, I've been at venues with generally good sound where the soundman has totally messed up the mix. It can go either way.
never write something against that
Kommandok
Road Kill

Hom!
I take it you're into Alan Moore's work?
How about Grant Morrison or Jamie Delano(who could be Von's brother?).
Cool!
Another extraordinary Englishman like Von..a bit hairy though.
Anyway..onto business..
Yeah..I'd take a full time bass player..over the female backup singer. Dream on...
Do I drive?
Or am I driven?
Silver_Owl
The Don

Kommandok wrote:Hom!
I take it you're into Alan Moore's work?
How about Grant Morrison or Jamie Delano(who could be Von's brother?).
How did you guess? :innocent: :lol:
I love Alan Moore and am an avid collector of his stuff.
Not so familiar with Grant Morrison, but like the Hellblazer stuff Delano did (Also created by Moore obviously).
Preacher by Ennis is also great stuff. And Alice In Sunderland by Bryan Talbot is a masterpiece. :notworthy:
So there you go. :wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Hom_Corleone wrote: How did you guess? :innocent: :lol:
I quite honestly thought that your avatar was a pic of you.

Anyway...
Kommandok wrote:over the female backup singer. Dream on...
Well, they had Maggie Reilley for all the gigs between 1990 and 1993, or at least some of them. She was especially in evidence in 1993 (and great, I think... the Berlin Deutschlandhalle show from 93 is one of my all time favorites). But for the record, if they had to hire just one new body, I'd prefer a bassist. It'd send them just over the top into wonderfulness.
DrG

Hello people... and nice avatar bismarck! :lol:

I believe the venue matters when it comes to sound. What I recorded at
Buffalo 2008 sounded much better than what I actually heard at the time... :wink:

Mr B and I opted for the bass filter... whereas in Toronto 2006 at a
much bigger club we did not... and the recording sounded great.

Mind you it also sounded great at the time! Too bad we lost our minds and
had too much fun to record it all! ;D
wah-hoo
let's do the war on drugs

Trip the light fantastic
bismarck

DrG wrote:Hello people... and nice avatar bismarck! :lol:
Thanks. Agree with your thoughts on recording. I made my first successful recording since the '80s last night and I'm not too thrilled with the results, but it sounded great there.
Silver_Owl
The Don

bismarck wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote: How did you guess? :innocent: :lol:
I quite honestly thought that your avatar was a pic of you.
Likewise. :lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Petseri
Overbomber

bismarck wrote:Well, they had Maggie Reilley for all the gigs between 1990 and 1993, or at least some of them. She was especially in evidence in 1993 (and great, I think... the Berlin Deutschlandhalle show from 93 is one of my all time favorites). But for the record, if they had to hire just one new body, I'd prefer a bassist. It'd send them just over the top into wonderfulness.
They used other singers for the tours, no? Not Maggie. I recall a Slavic name.

A quick search comes up with Suzanne Jocesowicz and Jovanka Wilsdorf.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Józefowicz or Juzefowicz