Credit Cards & ID

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

This may be a USA centric thing, but I recently found out that you do not have to show ID when using a credit card - in fact Mastercard even has a website for reporting merchants who require ID to complete a purchase.

So, starting today I'm declining to show my ID when making credit card purchases - and boy, do people NOT like it when you do that.

So I'm curious if anybody else has tried doing this, and what responses people get?

I know some people will be thinking "jeez, what's the big deal about just showing your ID?", so I'll just say that I've had my credit card skimmed twice in the last 5 years, and both times they used information from my Driving License to get away with it (ie. my zip code, which many credit card terminals ask you for); that is aside from any privacy concerns (I don't like showing my name/address/d.o.b. several times a day to complete strangers).
Pista
Cureboi

I didn't know that.
When I was over back in June, I was asked to show my ID when I wanted to buy a couple of t shirts. I thought it was a bit odd but the girl in the shop told me that they had been scammed once or twice.

Funnily, a few stores along, I bought some new ray bans & they never asked for any ID at all.

Never had to show my ID in Europe though.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

As far as I know, it's the retailer who determines whether or not they require ID. If you decline to show it, they can decline to complete your transaction. They are under no obligation to sell to you if you don't want to play by their rules; they can't make you show it, but you can't make them sell you something without it. They'll usually back down if it's a customer service issue, but some places won't let a clerk do it - they have to get manager approval, or they could lose their job.

I find the places I'm most likely to be asked for ID are the ones that are most likely to have been burnt in the past. I also find that they frequently barely look at my license - they're usually content just to know I was willing to show it.

As for the ID theft issue - unless you've got a clerk with a photographic memory, it's doubtful they'll be able to memorise that much of your personal information in the brief time it takes to glance at a card. There have also been numerous 'undercover journalism exposés' where they've used IDs that don't match the cards, or, in one case, a credit card with a photo on it that wasn't of the person using it - who pointed out that it wasn't her, and they still took the card :roll:

Unless it's a case where they're actually going to record information from my ID that they wouldn't ordinarily have, I'd rather show it to them in the belief they're being careful than repeat the problems I've had on two occasions when I've had credit cards and checkbooks stolen and used by people who weren't required to provide proper identification :evil:
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
nodubmanshouts

There's no law that says that can't refuse a transaction, sure, but their contract with the credit card company is very clear about it; they are not allowed to ask, and they have no leeway in the matter. They are in violation of contract if they ask; more so if they refuse to complete the transaction.

I do understand your points, 7anthea7, but it does somewhat make my reasons to deny showing my ID stronger; if they're not going to check it properly, why ask at all? So if I don't show it, I'm assumed guilty. That's not something I feel good about.

As you say, showing Id doesn't do much (or any) good in cutting down fraud anyway. However, allowing someone to see your zip code (post code), (which in the US is a very easy to remember number) allows people much easier access to a skimmed card.
irisNwiz
Road Kill

nodubmanshouts wrote:There's no law that says that can't refuse a transaction, sure, but their contract with the credit card company is very clear about it; they are not allowed to ask, and they have no leeway in the matter. They are in violation of contract if they ask; more so if they refuse to complete the transaction.

I do understand your points, 7anthea7, but it does somewhat make my reasons to deny showing my ID stronger; if they're not going to check it properly, why ask at all? So if I don't show it, I'm assumed guilty. That's not something I feel good about.

As you say, showing Id doesn't do much (or any) good in cutting down fraud anyway. However, allowing someone to see your zip code (post code), (which in the US is a very easy to remember number) allows people much easier access to a skimmed card.

so so true nodubmanshouts! US zip codes are really easy to memorize, so many skimmed cases are being reported. It is really hard what to decide what to do nowadays..
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Pay cash. Problem solved.

If it's a big purchase, get the cash out from an ATM immediately beforehand.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
nodubmanshouts

But then we wouldn't be earning airline miles now would we?
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Was nearly refused sale of some camera batteries in Oslo as I didn't have any ID with me when I needed to use my credit card! Never heard of having to do that until then
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Never been asked for ID in the UK. In fact, a credit card would be accepted as a form of ID in the first place (as long as a photo wasn't required).
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
psichonaut
Overbomber

in Italy you'd show your docments paying credit card or bankomat, but in truth nowhere they ask you for that
once in the commercial centre, after i payed with my bankomat-card, i showed my identity card and i was asked to confirm the signature i have on it writing on a sheet...well i signed "pinocchio" ;D
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him