Do you know your biblical references?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Do you know your biblical references?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/ne ... 893592.stm

From Shakespeare to Steinbeck, literary greats have borrowed heavily from the Bible. Now, Poet Laureate Andrew Motion has raised concerns that students of English literature are struggling because they don't understand Biblical references. Is he right to worry? Test your knowledge with this quiz from the Bible Society.

one for mf ;) :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i got 2/10 :lol:

one was about moby dick and i guessed the other :roll:

i'm going to burn in hell, aren't i?
silentNate
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

5 out of 10, not bad considering.
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
mh
Above the Chemist

7 out of 10, but in all fairness I took wild guesses on 6 of those! :lol:

Bet Fiendy gets 10. ;D
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Five. And a Catholic Boy. Suitably chastened.
The Chancer Corporation
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Shakespeare helped with writing the KJV.

And I only got 6 :oops:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Nic
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:i got 2/10 :lol:

I got 2/10 as well, guess the same goes for me then. :lol:
All We Ever Wanted Was Everything
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Nic wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:i got 2/10 :lol:

I got 2/10 as well, guess the same goes for me then. :lol:
i'm an agnostic from a heathen, lapsed proddie background, so it was never going to be my strongest subject :lol:
malifex
Road Kill

Blimey! I got 8 out of 10, and I'm as agnostic/atheist as they come!
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

malifex wrote:Blimey! I got 8 out of 10, and I'm as agnostic/atheist as they come!
maybe you're just well read? :lol:
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:Shakespeare helped with writing the KJV.

And I only got 6 :oops:
6 for me too.

That said, I'm guessing there will be more orgies, better bands & stronger ale in Hell......Who wants to play the harp all day in heaven anyway? :lol:
Give me one good reason
Jim
Slight Overbomber

Haha, two. That's rubbish. I should have gotten three even if I guessed them all.

In fairness the only two I got are the last two, because they've both been used extensively in comic books... I am such a philistine.
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

:lol:

this pretty much sums me up, i guess:

http://arts.cuhk.edu.hk/humftp/E-text/R ... nostic.htm
darkparticle
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

personally I wouldn't trust the bbc to give me the right date in a calender factory - that said

5/10
People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.

- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard
Pista
Cureboi

1/10.
Should have paid more attention in R.E. & not spent the time taking the p!ss out of the teacher's weird thumbs.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

4/10

mmm.. pas mal...
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

8/10. :eek: :?

And I know nothing about the bible! I guessed every single one! :lol:

(well, I guessed 7 right, kinda guessed the Moby Dick one from Quiffy's post...)

I'm going to hell anyway.
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

What religious indoctrination I received was Baptist <<shudder>> and they apparently considered the Old Testament inappropriate for children :roll:

I have long since become a devout heathen, and gotten well rid of all that shite, so the main things that got me 5/10 were familiarity with American literature (that was sort of underhanded of them, IMNSHO) and the fact that, having been a belly dancer myself, I couldn't help but know about Salome :wink:
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

6/10? God (:lol:) knows where that came from!
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Er, 10/10. But my Dad was a minister.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

7anthea7 wrote:they apparently considered the Old Testament inappropriate for children
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old Testament: Parental Guidance -- Explicit Content!
(To be fair, there is quite a lot of nasty in the OT.)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

4/10
not bad for someone from other culture circle and who don't believe. but these four were easy.
sultan2075
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
7anthea7 wrote:they apparently considered the Old Testament inappropriate for children
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old Testament: Parental Guidance -- Explicit Content!
(To be fair, there is quite a lot of nasty in the OT.)
It's my favorite :)

The lack of Biblical literacy in modern society makes it difficult to teach philosophy, though. Just last night I was teaching Locke's Second Treatise, and we got to paragraph 21 (in chapter III: "Of the State of War"), where Locke references Judges 11.27 (Judges may be my favorite book of the Bible, actually), writing that Jephtha was forced to make an "appeal to Heaven" between Israel and the Ammonites, and that "where there is no Judge on Earth, the Appeal lies to God in Heaven."

So, I asked the class what it meant. One student said it meant we should be nice to each other, because that's what God wants. Another said that we shouldn't judge each other, because only God can judge. An black woman, in the back, in her 50's, just smiled and shook her head at this--it turned out that of a class of almost 40 students, the only one who was familiar with the story was the older black woman (and she had the wrong details in mind, i.e., the vow sworn by Jephtha that inadvertently leads him to sacrifice his own daughter). Locke's point was simple: to say that God will judge between Israel and the Ammonites was simply to say that where there is no judge on earth, force resolves the issue. How will Jephtha know if God is on his side? Through victory. In other words, Jephtha can't rely on God in the state of nature, he must rely on force of arms.

Ugh. no one here cares about that :)
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

sultan2075 wrote:Ugh. no one here cares about that :)
Don't be so sure 8)
—Bertrand Russell
sultan2075
Overbomber

I'm so nerdy.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.