Wayne's / Sisters Guitar Gear

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Vox
Road Kill

Does anyone have any info on Wayne Husseys Sisters-Era guitar and effects gear ?

Especially his SexDrug 12 electric string, I've heard that it may be an old Burns/Baldwin model but also that it may be a custom job from Mansons guitar store. Can anyone confirm ?

If anyone has any info on the early Sisters effects not discussed on the Official site this guitar geek would appreciate the info.

Cheers!
Vox.
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

I aint got a clue!

Slicepack, you any ideas????

Paddy
Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

Funnily enough, I whacked a question through to Mr Huss on the Mish site asking what the 12 string was in a 'submit your questions' thread, the other day.

I'll see whack comes back.

Failing that it back to squinting at the headstock on on Wake and Crusade!
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

On the case.
Amphetamine Filth

Dunno - if I recall correctly it was a dark greenish Aria type 12 string. Interestingly, he went on to play acoustic 12 string in his subsequent band, so the recorded 12 strng parts on 'First & Last' could possibly be an acoustic.

Simon Hinkler's set-up was two Roland JC-120s atop two 4x12s (run in stereo) - a set-up (bizarrely) emulated by Wes Borland in Limp Bizkit, and is IMHO the classic G*th guitar set-up.
Slight Overbomber

He had quite a few, the acoustic 12 Ovation he still plays, and then there was the teardrop vox. I know for recording he has used a 12 string strat

I think the problem with early Sisters gear is they used a lot of copies

Craig's £70 brass fronted bass for example.

Marx's guitar looked like a Gordon Smith, but I doubt it was. And the plank Ben Gunn used to play I hope has been put on the fire

Slicepack! Horrah!

Another Bristolian!!!!

Come and see Rhombus at the Aurora next Wednesday!

It's free!
Ed Rhombus

www.rhombus-rock.com
Vox
Road Kill

If you look closely at the headstock in the York Racecourse photo of Wayne (see first Heartland anthology) you'll see the word MSTARS which
doesn't mean anything to me, anyone ?

The body of this guitar looks like a Burns but the neck and headstock look custom, not unlike a Fender XII headstock but not as pronounced. Defintely has a custom paint job on the body, looks like it was originally sunburst but has had a coat of black matt over the front side, the sunburst peaking through on the edges.

His other famous 12 string is a Vox Mark XII teardrop, custom red paint job I believe and the pickups have definitely been changed.

Appreciate everyones help on this, it's just bugging the hell out of me what
the SexDrug guitar is because it's just so damn cool !

Vox.
Ed Rhombus wrote:Funnily enough, I whacked a question through to Mr Huss on the Mish site asking what the 12 string was in a 'submit your questions' thread, the other day.

I'll see whack comes back.

Failing that it back to squinting at the headstock on on Wake and Crusade!
Vox
Road Kill

Well I found an answer to my own question in a 1980 Guitar catalogue.

Wayne's SEX DRUG guitar is an ...

Aria Pro II RS-800-12

Vox.
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

Oh shame that! Aria indeed. But cheers Vox

I thought it just said 'Drug' on it?
Ed Rhombus

www.rhombus-rock.com
Vox
Road Kill

Ed Rhombus wrote: I thought it just said 'Drug' on it?
I think the Drug came first followed later by SEX, much like Viagara.

Didn't realise Wayne needed the help....
pikkrong
Overbomber

Am I the first one to say
WELCOME VOX 8)
?
do i drive
or am i driven
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

Vox wrote: Aria Pro II RS-800-12
He shoots he scores!
Slight Overbomber

A bad result

You a Hatchet drinker Slicepack?
Ed Rhombus

www.rhombus-rock.com
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

It has been known......
Slight Overbomber

We should be in tomorrow.

Failing that pop down to see Rhombus
Ed Rhombus

www.rhombus-rock.com
allfear
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

ive been serching for a aria 12 for yonks,

I went into a guitar shop in san francisco looking for one and ended up buying a gibson firebird instead!!!

though if i could only get hold of oneof those gibson chet atkins like wayne had (white one) thats what I really really want!!!!

the other guitar wayne used i think was a manson, made in Devon!

Matt
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

I've asked Mrs Ed to clarify the situation with Huss tonight at the Sheffield gig, if she gets the chance.

Failing that I'll nab him next week

The diff head stock could mean it a custom job, I mean 12 string elecs under a grand are hard to find these days!

Matt, I picked up a Yamaha 12 string elec, does the job and not too bad a price ether
Ed Rhombus

www.rhombus-rock.com
Vox
Road Kill

Ed Rhombus wrote: Matt, I picked up a Yamaha 12 string elec, does the job and not too bad a price ether
The Yamaha Pacifica 303 12 string is near identical to the Aria and probably sounds a lot better. Let's face it you're probably gonna give it a lick of matt black like Wayne did to his. And they're dead cheap.

The Aria as I've found out came with two different headstocks, an Aria 12 string equivalent and a "fender-esque" headstock like Wayne's. The Yamaha headstock is very similar to Wayne's.

My guess is since these Aria's were only manufactured between 80-82 and Aria's were considered well "crap", not too many survived.

You can pick up a 1960's Vox teardrop for about $1000, if you pay anymore then you've been had, like the Aria's they were pretty middle of the road instruments, the pickups tended to be microphonic and were the first thing to be replaced when I picked up my teardrop.

For a modern reproduction check out www.phantomguitars.com they own the designs for all the old Vox's and they're repros sound better than the originals (for half the price). Their teardrop headstocks follow the Vox Starstream design as oppossed to Wayne's Vox Mark XII. Jack (the owner) is a long time Vox expert.

Vox. (the erm Vox fan)

Oh and a big friendly hello to everyone ! sorry to bore everyone 'bout guitars 'n that.
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

Carry on!

We love guitar chat
Ed Rhombus

www.rhombus-rock.com
Carrie
Amphetamine Filth

Sorry! Wasn't able to ask Mr Hussey last night as he shot backstage like a rat up a drain pipe, bless him. Probably remembers what happened to his rider LAST time he played the Boardwalk...hee, hee...

Doubt I'd've understood/stayed awake for the answer, anyway! :twisted:
Queen of the mean!
JJMC
Road Kill

I don't think Messer Hussey was too fussed about his guitar they way he slung one of his twelvers off stage at a First Chapter gig at Newcastle's Mayfair (stage aside- was it that long ago!).

He was quite brassed off at how out of tune it was. The set wasn't that tight - he was though. Managed to grab a lyric sheet and a quick chat! Always surprised me how short he was! Oops digressed a little. :oops:
Hic
allfear
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Talking 12 String, I tried a lovely burns 12 that retails for £399 and sounds husseytastic.

Matt (saving up for said guitar in time for support gig with said mr huss)
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

Indeed the man is tiny!

Burns 12 string sounds good
Ed Rhombus

www.rhombus-rock.com
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

And has the limpest handshake in rock.

As all Electric 12 strings sound terrible and are difficult to play, set-up and keep in tune, any is as good as another. Having played a 12 string Vox Cough-Drop it was simpler to tune everything to it including the keyboards.
Road Kill

My twelver was £ 69 from a wonderful second hand shop in Newcastle call Grott Guitars - the only place I've ever seen an eight string bass.

And Slicepack's quite right - limp handshake and terrible to keep in tune (the guitar not Wayne - well maybe :twisted: )
Hic