Star and Head logo explained?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
inz
Road Kill

Hi,
I'm sorry if this comes off as an incredibly silly question that google should've taken care of, but I couldn't find much in the wiki or through a few google queries so I figured I'd asked the more obsessive people in the community - I'm sure this is the right place to find you ;)

What's the story behind the Star and Head logo? Where does it come from and what does it signify?
abridged
Slight Overbomber

The original comes from Gray's Anatomy. Not the show. And without the star. Hope that helps. The redesign if I recall was done in the 90s by Andrea White. Could be mistaken in the latter's name.
The Chancer Corporation
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

original logo:

the head is taken from the above mentioned medical text book and shows the dissection lines for a human head

http://images.google.com/images?q=anato ... lines+head

iirc they flipped the original image because it looked better the other way around :?

the star behind it is just a graphic device, added because it looked nice (although comparisons with suicide's 'red star' motif have been drawn as andrew and gary were both big fans of suicide - http://is.gd/tQxg )

the new logo:

yep, a leeds-based designer called andrea white did a series of logo and 'eldritch body' treatments in the early 90s (ie" under the gun - http://sisterswiki.org/index.php/Under_the_Gun_single ), most of which can be found in the 'postcards from above the chemist' lyrics book ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Postcards-above ... B001ETUEUW ), or in back-issues of 'under the rock' fanzine (scans are available in the heartland image gallery - http://www.myheartland.co.uk/gallery/ca ... p?cat_id=7 )

meaning:

none as such. its purely an aesthetic device...
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
mh
Above the Chemist

If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
GC
Slight Overbomber

Everybody knows that's it's just potent dark imagery - it's literal translation is "Big Goth", (just look at the Pentagram) :innocent:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Debi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

to be fair though - what a great logo it was - instantly memorable and easily applied to a black leather jacket (helllllo boys!! ;)

not to mention having just the right amount of "goth" (noooooo - dont use that word!) vibes : )
the_inescapable_truth
Amphetamine Filth

Ah, but everyone avoided the interesting question that is, what does it mean? Or why is it used? Even if it was never explicitly discussed, there's still a reason as to why it was used other than 'oh that looks nice' surely? :)

I have a few ideas, but I would be interested to hear why others think first. :P

Facts about where it came from are just boring and irrelevant (to me).
Last edited by the_inescapable_truth on 22 Apr 2009, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
Debi

the_inescapable_truth wrote:Ah, but everyone avoided the interesting question that is, what does it mean? Facts about where it came from are boring and largely irrelevant.
ah - but as far as i have heard - there is no real meaning - it was just an image that andrew saw in a book and liked the head and shoulders image. the rest as they say..... :notworthy:
road_kill
Road Kill

the_inescapable_truth wrote:Ah, but everyone avoided the interesting question that is, what does it mean? Or why is it used? Even if it was never explicitly discussed, there's still a reason as to why it was used.

Facts about where it came from are boring and irrelevant (to me).
I seem to remember an explanation along the lines of "wanting to get inside your head. By any means necessary..."

Edit: Aha! there you go vvvvvvv
Last edited by road_kill on 22 Apr 2009, 12:09, edited 2 times in total.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

inz wrote: an incredibly silly question
Indeed! ;D

They need to get inside your head. By any means necessary.

http://www.thesistersofmercy.com/gen/fa ... nce_urlogo
"as we walk on the floodland"
the_inescapable_truth
Amphetamine Filth

Debi wrote:
the_inescapable_truth wrote:Ah, but everyone avoided the interesting question that is, what does it mean? Facts about where it came from are boring and largely irrelevant.
ah - but as far as i have heard - there is no real meaning - it was just an image that andrew saw in a book and liked the head and shoulders image. the rest as they say..... :notworthy:
I don't buy it. Even if Von just stumbled upon the image and just thought 'that's nice' there's still a reason he thought it was nice - even if left unstated. The pose is a very classical, paintery pose. Am I the only one who thinks it looks merciful for example?
Debi

Ozpat wrote:
Indeed! ;D

yup - thats the quote. i have definately heard him describe it as head and shoulders..........
the_inescapable_truth
Amphetamine Filth

Ozpat wrote:
Indeed! ;D

Interesting!
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

the_inescapable_truth wrote:
I don't buy it. Even if Von just stumbled upon the image and just thought 'that's nice' there's still a reason he thought it was nice - even if left unstated. The pose is a very classical, paintery pose. Am I the only one who thinks it looks merciful for example?
Do buy it in the Sisters FAQ's of the boring kind.

It doesn't look merciful. Even not for example. It looks 'suffering' IMO.
Debi

urgh though. when you look at the picture quiff boy put up - the skin is being peeled back!?

i recon he thought that a good idea for a logo when off his face !!
Debi

Ozpat wrote:

you'd be suffering with your head on a block and yer face being dissected Ozpat!! :urff:
the_inescapable_truth
Amphetamine Filth

Ozpat wrote:

Still don't buy it. All I that means it is that he is tired of people asking about it and perhaps he would prefer people to think about if for themselves. And anyway you've already provided a quote which seems to add explanation to the use of the logo significantly!

I would agree with the suffering thing though. It looks suffering which makes me think of being merciful..
silentNate
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Debi wrote:
Ozpat wrote:
Indeed! ;D

yup - thats the quote. i have definately heard him describe it as head and shoulders..........
Because dandruff ruins black clothes? :lol:
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
Debi

silentNate wrote:
Debi wrote:
Ozpat wrote: Indeed! ;D

Because dandruff ruins black clothes? :lol:
excellent :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Debi

Ozpat wrote:

Still don't buy it. All I that means it is that he is tired of people asking about it and perhaps he would prefer people to think about if for themselves. And anyway you've already provided a quote which seems to add explanation to the use of the logo significantly!

I would agree with the suffering thing though. It looks suffering which makes me think of being merciful..
why did you pick that "the_inescapable_truth" as your avatar then?
the_inescapable_truth
Amphetamine Filth

Debi wrote:
Ozpat wrote: Do buy it in the Sisters FAQ's of the boring kind.

Pretty much because Cézanne taught me that the beauty of life is in the what others often see as the 'insignificant' details and it has since become a big part of how I approach life. It sums me up really.

I like the colour and simplicity of 'Apples, Peaches, Pears and Grapes' especially.
Debi

Debi wrote:
the_inescapable_truth wrote: Still don't buy it. All I that means it is that he is tired of people asking about it and perhaps he would prefer people to think about if for themselves. And anyway you've already provided a quote which seems to add explanation to the use of the logo significantly!

Pretty much because Cézanne taught me that the beauty of life is in the what others often see as the 'insignificant' details and it has since become a big part of how I approach life. It sums me up really.

I like the colour and simplicity of 'Apples, Peaches, Pears and Grapes' especially.
fair enough - i was just being nosey!!! :D
Debi

so what we have here is a bit of an oxymoron situation in that andrew thinks the question asking about his logo is a boring one and insulting as the interviewer hasn't read up anything about them and is asking all the usual questions - where as the questioner doesn't beleive what he has read about the simple explanation and thinks there is more to it and wants to know.

its a lose lose one really!
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Debi wrote:
Ozpat wrote:

you'd be suffering with your head on a block and yer face being dissected Ozpat!! :urff:
Waw!