WH and The Sisterhood

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Lepi
Road Kill

Because memories fading and there are no news from the Sisters camp, may somebody can enlighten me on this topic:

Well, I know a lot of about Elditchs´ Sisterhood. But about WHs´ Sisterhood, the only things known are that it was the name of the Sisters-fan club and that they were on tour in GB/Europe with The Cult somewhere 85/86.

I have found some dates who set the limits:

21.09.1985: Gig of Skeletal Family in Hamburg, Markthalle, AE together with WH as guests performing “Knocking on heaven´s door“

27.02.1986 First m*****n gig in London, Electric Ballroom

But what happened in between with WHs´ Sisterhood?

Does anyone here know, how much gigs they played when and where with The Cult and which songs were played?
Is anything available about the history of this fan club? Is it still alive?
Is it true, that the songs „Serpent's Kiss“ and „Garden Of Delight“ are written during the sessions of the planned second album of the sisters „Left on m*****n and revenge“?

Thank You in advance,

Lepi
It burns inside this car
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

Wasteland

And the dance goes on

Garden of delight

Serpents kiss

Stay with me

Severina

Bridges burning

Sacrilege

Wishing well

was the standard set list of this tour

i think it was a 10 or 11 date tour
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

You should get "names are tombstones baby", it s the mish's biography, only problem it s not that easy to get nowdays.
Ebay is the magic word...
mh
Above the Chemist

Garden of Delight and Serpent's Kiss originated as Sisters songs, yes. There are demos of both available (try looking in the Weeding and Sharing sections). SK never went beyond an instrumental, but GoD was given the full treatment complete with Von vocals on one version.

I've heard different accounts of when these two songs date from. Some claim that they're LOMAR tracks, others that they were written and recorded during the FALAA sessions.

There is also a demo of the music that became Black Planet with some of Wayne's lyrics over it (also sung by Wayne) that would later be reused on various m*****n songs, notably Naked and Savage.

Finally, according to Wayne's sleevenotes on the First Chapter reissue, the song Wake also dates to the FALAA sessions, but no demo has ever emerged.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
lachert
Overbomber

someone said that bridges burning was alsow planned as a sisters song. don't remember who and where :roll:
btw. anyone knows what's that "spit on your grave" or "evil come evil" became? bury me deep and logic or what? :eek:
long live rock'n'roll
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Full Sisterhood tour dates, setlists and other appearances here:
http://www.and-the-dance-goes-on.de/tou ... index.html
The site's in German but you don't need to speak it to get the info you want.

Not sure from your post, Lepi, if you realise or not but The Sisterhood wasn't a different band - they just changed the name to The Mission after the release of Von's similarly monickered project beat them to a record release.

As for Wake, it's noticeable that it shares a very similar keyboard instrumental with Giving Ground, suggesting that at least that part had been in gestation when Wayne and Von were still working together.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
vince
Road Kill

I've got old tapes of a couple of these gigs which I've not played in years - one from Alice in Wonderland, 20/01/86 which was a secret gig, which has a track listing of Wasteland, Dance goes on, Garden of Delight, Serpents Kiss, Stay with me, Severina, Bridges Burning, Over the hills, Sacrilege, Wishing Well.

I remember going to the Electric Ballroom gig (27/02/86) and getting into the sound check during the afternoon. After the sound check, they got a football out and I joined in a 5-a-side session with them all before being kicked out again!!

The set list on the tape, which I recorded, is Wasteland, Dance goes on, Garden of delight, Like a hurricane, Severina, Sepents Kiss, Stay with Me, 1969, ?? (will have to play it again to work out what that is), Sacrilage, Wishing Well, Give me Shelter (with Ian and Billy from the Cult).

I've got the tape with the original NME ad for the show which has "DNA Entertainments presents The Sisterhood. This is NOT the band with the single entitled 'Giving Ground' currently available nor is this band anything to do with Andrew Eldritch or Merciful Release" on it.

HTH.
James Blast
Banned

nice post vince, thankee :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
vicus
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

vince wrote:the original NME ad for the show which has "DNA Entertainments presents The Sisterhood. This is NOT the band with the single entitled 'Giving Ground' currently available nor is this band anything to do with Andrew Eldritch or Merciful Release" on it.
this one?
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
James Blast
Banned

and thankee to you :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
lachert
Overbomber

my god, so this is not a band we should expect playing finland red, egypt white live? :eek:
long live rock'n'roll
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

lachert wrote:my god, so this is not a band we should expect playing finland red, egypt white live? :eek:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Dark
Underneath the Rock

lachert wrote:my god, so this is not a band we should expect playing finland red, egypt white live? :eek:
I would LOVE to hear a Mish version of that :)
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

I have the Garden of Delight-version with Eldritch singing (although Wayne wrote the lyrics). Sounds like a mediocre FALAA-type song, but the lyrics are absolutely horrible. Thank god that never was a real Sisters song.
Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
Nadia81
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Garden of Delight as sung by Eldritch is actually rather funny .Von's complete lack of enthusiasm and/or distaste for the lyrics really comes through .He's like an actor in a role he doesn't want to play.
limur
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

vince wrote:...one from Alice in Wonderland, 20/01/86 which was a secret gig, which has a track listing of Wasteland, Dance goes on, Garden of Delight, Serpents Kiss, Stay with me, Severina, Bridges Burning, Over the hills, Sacrilege, Wishing Well.
This was on Dime a while back;
...train, crashin' head long into the heartland...

Pushing Good Music #PGM www.livemusicreview.co.uk
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

lachert wrote:someone said that bridges burning was alsow planned as a sisters song. don't remember who and where :roll:
that was me - the main guitar line of bb was played at the beginning of the soundcheck glasgow 1985 for a few seconds. i guess it was far from being a full (sisters-)track back then. but wayne obviously did already have many ideas for later myssion-tracks
love is just a shot away