YouTube Interview(s)

Post your reviews of Sisters-related material or interviews with Sisters-related musicians here. And don't believe the hype: 1985 most definitely is a fashion statement.
Europa
Amphetamine Filth

Moldering about with flu at home noticed this had just come up on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_96ZnZsjcWY

Hadn't seen the German one on the end before so thought worth flagging.
Om began to feel the acute depression that steals over every realist in the presence of an optimist.
AdrenaChris
Amphetamine Filth

..."when I collapse at the end of it" :lol:

Also about the Killing Joke reference (fascists again..didn't Joy Division say the same about them?)....did they know eachother at all? Had I actually *been alive* in the 80s, a double bill of Sissies and the Joke in '85 would have been my wet dream of gigs...
Nadia81
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

The first one is unbelievably cool,the second ..I can't believe Von ever did something that silly-it's like "the Big Breakfast" :lol:

Thanks for the heads-up ! :notworthy:
Europa
Amphetamine Filth

Funny, it made me think of 'Going Live' from when I was a kid. Doggycam indeed...
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

How very...odd. :eek:

But thanks for that! :D
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Thanks a lot ... :D ... The sound quality of the first part is not exactly good ...

... but I really like this compilation ... such a contrast in a way and in a certain respect no contrast at all ...

It still makes me wonder, though, how German TV whizzers again and again managed to perceive and
have perceived the Sisters, or more specifically : :von: : , so very well off mark ... it's just disgraceful
and disgusting ... and has surely afforded quite a lot of resistance and goodwill (some might call it humour)
to endure these idiocies ... while at the same time certain magazines unceasingly - and no less
further beyond common sense - supported quite another idea of this person ...

On the other hand, such contradictory strategies (in case they are employed deliberately) provoke -
empathy ... and I know, I am very empathic. Too empathic to allow myself to care further than my
eyes can see and my hand can reach and (which is more important) without reason ... I will resist,
even against that core inside of me which is so almost entirely keen to respond to these stimuli ...

I'm so glad, those years [and a few more] are gone ... and outlived. Now is now, time for a breath ...
... and, maybe, for another same - and inalienable - (let me dare say) world ...

Could be, maybe next year ... :( ... It's neither my business nor my decision. (I don't exist, anyway.)

My apologies to any readers who might find these sermons quite appalling ...
Europa
Amphetamine Filth

I'm not appalled, although slightly befuddled. But that might be the flu.

I don't think it's a bad thing that Von did such shows (and to be fair not speaking German I don't know what sort of show it really was), as not taking yourself to seriously is always a good idea. And to be fair compared to some of the p**s taking from the NME etc (which seems to have been the thing to have really wound him up re having any contact with the press) I'm sure this was not that bad and maybe seemed a better alternative to him than the English press.
Om began to feel the acute depression that steals over every realist in the presence of an optimist.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

:) ... could be the flu, could ... :lol:

Another fact is, that I somewhat overreacted ... just the memory flooding me unsortedly
with part of its more or less deeply buried content ...

Anyway, I agree with you... those TV Interviews offered an opportunity for Von to present
himself in person and thus counteract the images certain magazines were steadily supporting.

And - at that time - I really loved him for this interview and I found it just adorably reasonable ...

But then again, he gave interviews to aforementioned magazines again and again ... and
they obviously took pleasure in keeping up a) a certain dark image, while at the same time
b) describing him in a way that was - on another level - a knife in the back ... and these
magazines' interviewers never seemed to take this person and/or The Sisters of Mercy
for serious ... in my very personal perception, of course.

Wondering why those people kept to this "habit", I concluded that, perhaps, they "knew"
him personally ... and/or found pleasure in it and/or had some "reason" to do so - or that
(as I mentioned before) it was just a fairly deliberate strategy of business ...
a (rather short-sighted) deal among the like-minded ...

These were partly my thoughts before I had seen The Sisters of Mercy
play the Rock am See Festival in Losheim, where I wanted to see for myself ... :roll: :: :oops: :: ... :( ... :cry: ...

But this is all too much personal sermon for a forum like this, I feel.
And I surely misunderstood quite a few things ...

:roll: ... Above all, I'm glad it's 2009. And I'm not glad, they never made a record again ... :(

:roll: ... In fact, this interview is a really good one. So thanks again ... :notworthy:

[If there should be any necessity, I might take the effort to translate
the German part into - my surely not perfect - English].

Ah, btw ... get well soon ... :D ...
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Being645 wrote:But this is all too much personal sermon for a forum like this, I feel.
What is a forum for, if not the airing of personal opinions? As long as you can handle the (sometimes snarky) responses, say what you will, my dear.
And also wrote:And I surely misunderstood quite a few things ...
Well, we all have at one time or another. But we do our best, eh? :wink:
And finally wrote:If there should be any necessity, I might take the effort to translate he German part into - my surely not perfect - English.
Oh, would you? Image I can translate written German alright, but my skills at doing it from the spoken word are...frankly, pathetic. :( Your English is most definitely better.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Nadia81

I got the gist of it-breakfast-shades-little girl asks how he got the name of the band- but yes,Being 645, a translation would be most appreciated. :)
Being645
Wiki Wizard

:urff: ... been through it so often, now ... I'm really fed up with this s**t in a way ... what's it called ... entertainment ? ... :roll:

(And with my own as well, of course ... but I'm incurable, anyway ... :roll: ... )

I do, however, somewhat remember having decided explicitly for the
production of the utmost possible bad taste in order to fend off risks ...
works properly ... Perhaps it's time, to subject this strategy to a certain revision ... :roll:

But, then again, what for? ...

Anyway, here you go, have fun ...

Female speaker commenting the compilation of sounds and pictures:
Since the beginning of the 80ies, The Sisters of Mercy are considered to be the ultimate voice of underground [music]. Although, the merciful sisters became famous for being typical goth-rockers, they proved by Temple of Love that gloomy rock can, in fact, be danceable. Their concerts became a legend and were always sold out. After a strife with his band cronies, The Sisters of Mercy became an Eldritch solo project with changing partners. And he became more elegant as well – the goth image had to go. For ten years, he’s been living in Hamburg and the fan community is wistfully waiting for new songs of the master … [: :urff: :]

Host: Here, Andrew, if you like, something for breakfast …?

Andrew Eldritch: Oh, no. I had some, already. I’m long awake.

Host: When did you get up today?

Andrew Eldritch: Four.

Host: Four o’clock, hhm …. and you do this every day … you always get up early …

Andrew Eldritch: Mostly, yes.

Host: And then, why do you do this?

Andrew Eldritch: Don’t know, I take a walk to the harbour. Early in the morning,
it’s very beautiful there. And I can take a little care for my private life, before people
start phoning and sending faxes and …

Host: Oh yes, I know, you are your own manager and do everything yourself
and so on … Well, yes, that’s a good trick, actually … getting up early and so on.
But then, on the other hand, you go to bed early in the evening as well, I guess,
about nine or so ?

Andrew Eldritch: Yes.

Host: Ehm, a propos private life ... you’re somewhat always wearing these
sunglasses, one can actually never see you without them …

Andrew Eldritch: Oh yes!

Host: Ah yeah, right. I’ve seen you without them just before and, right, ha-ha, I didn’t recognize you …

Andrew Eldritch: Well, I always explain it in the way that when Peter Maffay, for example,
has to go to ALDI, he has to take some glasses on and people come and see him and say:
Hey, there’s Maffay with his sunglasses … I just take the glasses off and then … nobody disturbs me ….

Host: Yes, works perfectly fine, yeah. Tell me now, a few minutes before it was mentioned in the clip
that the music we were hearing … that it were called dark wave or goth or whatever and I guess that,
by now, you feel rather sick to hear this … don’t you?

Andrew Eldritch: Yes. Me personally, I’ve somewhat never felt it this way …

Host: Eh yes, well... how, eh,… how would you describe yourself what the band or you,
respectively, have made with The Sisters?

Andrew Eldritch: It’s rock music, somewhere between Motörhead and Pet Shop Boys …

Host: Between Motörhead and Pet Shop Boys! That’s, well, that actually meets the point quite precisely …

Andrew Eldritch: Yes, it is witty but hard. It’s fun, melodic … but it can be rather despiteful at times.
But that does not mean by far it were depressive, and the fact, that it is not so, so ... fleeing reality like
... like pop music mostly is ... that’s ... that’s nothing I ought to excuse myself for.

Host: Well, yes, ehm … depressive … but that’s what people simply assume just so … black clothes,
black sunglasses … but you’ve even done a performance in a white suit …

Andrew Eldritch: … plenty of times, actually …

Host: ... and you’ve tried to counteract this journalists’ jabbering, but nevertheless, there was
written again, eh … depressive rock music …

Andrew Eldritch: That’s because all journalists are stupid and lazy.

Host: Stupid and lazy! That’s what they are, those journalists. Right, and we’ve been telling now …
That’s how it is! By the way, you’ve got a wonderful sticker there … Let’s have a short look …
SISTERS GEGEN NAZIS, aha ... (to the audience: You might get one of these, by the way,
if you succeed in getting through here by phone … and in addition, you’re gonna receive
a Sisters’ CD, the most recent one …

Andrew Eldritch: Yes.

Host: Best of ... oh, ah, there’s someone on the phone. So I shall pick it up … Hello, who’s there?

Girl on the phone: Claudia.

Host: Claudia! Where’re you from …

Claudia: ... grmlrmlrml …

Host: I didn’t get that, now. Could you please repeat it …

Claudia: ... grmlrmlrml…

Host: Ah yes, ehm … and how old are you?

Claudia: Ten.

Host: Ten. Do you have any questions to Andrew?

Claudia: Yes, how he got to the name of the band …

Andrew Eldritch: I have stolen it … honestly said.

Host: Where?

Andrew Eldritch: Ehm, I’ve once seen a film where Julie Christie played a prostitute and she led her troop
through the mud to sort of a wild west town. That’s a good mixture between dogma and prostitution,
what you do as a rock band …

Claudia: Hhm …

Host: And you fall exactly in between ... in between all sorts of category, actually …

Andrew Eldritch: Hhm, yes.

Host: [to Claudia] Your question is answered?

Claudia: Yes.

Host: OK, you have won this sticker and a CD of the Sisters …Hold the line! … Ciao!

Claudia: Thanks. ... Thanks.

Host: A further thing … recently, a large – or rather small - German trend magazine invited you to a hash test …
we won’t tell the name here now … I can’t even remember the name ...

Andrew Eldritch: I know it, but I won’t tell. : [ But I do: TEMPO]

Host: And eh, it was about testing hashish and you were the only person who denied to participate. Why?

Andrew Eldritch: Yes. It doesn’t suit me. I have already gained my experience with it, what it is about and
… eh, in England it is still all over, as yet… but ... eh ... somehow you always get in touch with the stuff
… but it doesn’t suit me.

Host: But you have ... the others who were there – Die Fantastischen Vier were meant to come
but they didn’t - there were politicians there, Rolf Zacher was there, and all of them, they whiffed busily,
while you've even prepared a sort of manifest – well, this formulation is a bit exaggerated, but …

Andrew Eldritch: Yes. I wanted that there would be someone who might emphasize: Well, everything fine,
but you don’t have to consume immediately each and every thing, that is suddenly free and legitimate …

Assistant: Yoh. So, if I might interrupt you for a short moment … above everything allowed
and everything to want … we have established now: How far do you go in order to maim your body
… and, ehm, well here’s the results …

[including Eldritch disturbing several times with complaints about the haircut of that guy ...
and some further useless chat between the two assistants ...]

Assistant:
... it’s quite interesting, let’s have a look … I don’t believe it! 40% say only earrings is ok; piercings 11% …
and 38% would have themselves scarred. Well, that remains to be seen!. Send us a few photos! What it looks like!
But don’t hurt yourselves too much, that’s no good, That’s s**t. Not so much blood … that’s better …

Host: So, pretty soon now, we’re gonna reach the end. Do you have any piercings or tattoos? No. Or, do you?

Andrew Eldritch: That’s what you’d like to know … But you’re not my type …

Host: OK. I won’t get to see it …

And the rest is previews of the next "show"and remarks on this attack which had taken place in Solingen
where four people died in a house that was burned down by some Nazis a few weeks before …

I'm so glad we're in 2009 now ... :eek: ... however incurable I might be ... :roll:
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

shall i compare thee to a summer's day? :lol:

http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=12902
Goths have feelings too
Being645
Wiki Wizard

:lol: ... yeah, I had a feeling to have seen that somewhere, but couldn't quite find it ... that's why I had asked before ...

:lol: ... doesn't matter ... and it's fun, how different people perceive (and express) things in a different way ... :lol:
Nadia81

Thank you,Being645. :)
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Assistant: Yoh. So, if I might interrupt you for a short moment … above everything allowed
and everything to want … we have established now: How far do you go in order to maim your body
… and, ehm, well here’s the results …
Oh - Andrews best part is missing:
Assistant (Retard): Yoh! So, if I might interrupt you for a short moment … above everything allowed and everything to want … we've established a televoting: How far do you go in order to maim your body?

Andrew: Not as far as you!
:lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Thanks muchly my dear! :D
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Being645
Wiki Wizard

DocSommer wrote: Oh - Andrews best part is missing:
Assistant (Retard): Yoh! So, if I might interrupt you for a short moment … above everything allowed and everything to want … we've established a televoting: How far do you go in order to maim your body?

Andrew: Not as far as you!
:lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:
:lol: : :lol: : :lol: : ... thanks for the addition ... I really didn't get that, sorry ... :oops: ...
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Being645 wrote::Host: Claudia! … and how old are you?

Claudia: Ten.

Host: Ten. Do you have any questions to Andrew?

Claudia: Yes, how he got to the name of the band …

Andrew Eldritch: I have stolen it … honestly said.

Host: Where?

Andrew Eldritch: Ehm, I’ve once seen a film where Julie Christie played a prostitute and she led her troop
through the mud to sort of a wild west town. That’s a good mixture between dogma and prostitution,
what you do as a rock band …
Andrew Eldritch talks to a ten year old girl about prostitution.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

:eek:

Grown up without a TV set? Only read the books from the Church library
(and never those hidden deeply in your male relatives' beside cabinet?

:lol: : :lol: : :lol: :
Europa
Amphetamine Filth

Thank-you for translation Being645 :P
Being645
Wiki Wizard

stufarq wrote: Andrew Eldritch talks to a ten year old girl about prostitution.
So, that's all YOU get from this interview ... :lol:

In addition, I (really) love to remind you of the fact, that before the
widespread use of TV sets and before Nabokov's Lolita, people used to read Fanny Hill ... :lol:

europa wrote: Thank-you for translation Being645 :P

You're welcome, it's been a pleasure ... thank you for posting it. :D
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Being645 wrote:
stufarq wrote: Andrew Eldritch talks to a ten year old girl about prostitution.
So, that's all YOU get from this interview ... :lol:

In addition, I (really) love to remind you of the fact, that before the
widespread use of TV sets and before Nabokov's Lolita, people used to read Fanny Hill ... :lol:
Er, not children though. (Please tell me you wouldn't let your children read those books.) In fact, I find your logic hard to follow. Are you saying that it's okay to talk to kids about prostitutes because child prostitution exists?

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that there are no circumstances where it would be appropriate to discuss the subject with children (who, yes, are often far more aware than we'd like to believe) but surely it was wrong of Von to bring it up in that situation. If a ten year old (particularly one you didn't even know) had asked you where the band's name came from, would you have mentioned prostitutes?
Being645
Wiki Wizard

I really think, that kids, nowadays, are - thanks to TV - fully aware of
prostitution and plenty other and worse things. Of course, it's not your
daily meal at that age. But on the other hand, if watching TV broadcasts
like this is your daily meal, it is surely not to your disadvantage to get to
know early enough what you are in for ...

And, as to my person, I wish I had never ever believed all the fairy tales
I've been told unceasingly and from all sides. As a matter of fact, I was
quite aware of what was going on, but each time I mentioned, some adult
would tell me that my perception wasn't right and that we were all
wonderful and the world in total harmony and that there was love in
everything and such s**t ... always keeping to the motto: Don't feel the
bruises on your body, feel the love that lies in all those hits and in
ignoring your unmistakable NO! ... Thanks.

I don't have kids, but if I had some, I'd tell them as soon as I get aware
that they are getting aware everything about everything - which usually
takes place far earlier that at the age of 10, unless you try to keep them
off certain realities, thus impairing and alienating their perception and
self-assurance maybe deeper than you please ...

:twisted: ... :D ...

OK, one concession ... he had better not used the word dogma and rather
say something like adhering to commonly pretended moral prescriptions
and going beyond them in order to entertain and exploit those who
won't pursue such morals, anyway ...

And another, slight, concession ... as I wrote somewhere before ... these
interviewers, press or TV, were bold enough to ignore who they were
talking with ... and regularly so, and in many embarrassing or simply
mindless ways. Otherwise they had taken a bit more care for this person
as well and prevented a situation as such to occur! But they didn't,
because it was exactly what they wanted.

Furthermore - do you really think it appropriate to talk to 10-year old kids
on TV about the latest trends in mutilating (ah, wish I had found that word
yesterday ...) themselves? And you think this negligible compared to
mentioning prostitution? IMHO, this show was one of those typically dumb
idiocies of TV those days ... not that there had been any improvement in
the meantime, though.

Uh, enough of those lectures for today. Good Night. :wink:

Ah, btw, I'm entirely glad we're in 2009 by now. :D
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Being645 wrote:Furthermore - do you really think it appropriate to talk to 10-year old kids
on TV about the latest trends in mutilating (ah, wish I had found that word
yesterday ...) themselves? And you think this negligible compared to
mentioning prostitution?
He didn't. There was a brief mention of piercings and tattoos but nothing graphic.

As I said, I'm not talking about shielding kids from harsh reality but you would be careful how you discussed subjects like that with them and it was entirely unnecessary to mention it here. Moreover, most people wouldn't want a complete stranger raising those sorts of subjects with their children. Von can discuss it with his own kids if he sees fit but not someone else's.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

I won't try to convince you. It's TV ... think what you please ... :D