Band Introduction: BLACKLIST (Post Punk / Guitar Wave | NYC)

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Ian P. Christ
Amphetamine Filth

Hey Folks,

sorry if this sounds a bit too much of a promotional posting, but if you haven't heard about the band BLACKLIST from New York, you really should check them out!

IMHO, these guys are the best thing in the Post Punk / Guitar Wave / Melodic Goth Rock genre that surfaced since a decade (at least).

BLACKLIST just released their debut album "Midnight Of The Century" (produced by Ed Buller, Ex-PSYCHEDELIC FURS, producer of WHITE LIES, SUEDE and PULP) with 11 songs that combine the best moments of bands like THE CHAMELEONS, THE CHURCH, THE M I S S I O N, (early) THE CULT, early U2, THE SOUND, THE COMSAT ANGELS and THE SISTERS OF MERCY.

I'm an addicted fan since their first demo and I'm looking forward to hear what's your opinion about the band.

Here are some free (and legal) downloads for your listening pleasure:

[url=http://rcrdlbl_downloads.s3.amazonaws.com/Blacklist%20-%20Flight%20Of%20The%20Demoiselles.mp3]Flight Of The Demoiselles[/url] (From the album "Midnight Of The Century" - 2009)
[url=http://rcrdlbl_downloads.s3.amazonaws.com/Blacklist%20-%20Blue%20Shifted.mp3]Blue Shifted[/url] (From the EP "Solidaire" - 2007)
Language Of The Living Dead (From the EP "Blacklist" - 2005)
Exit (From the EP "Blacklist" - 2005)
Dawn Of The Idols (From the EP "Blacklist" - 2005)

Apart from being an addicted fan, I'm also hosting the european live debut of BLACKLIST on Friday, October 2nd in Berlin. This will be the only gig in Germany and one of only two gigs in Europe at all.

All info on that event here: remembrance-daze.com

Cheers

XXX
Pista
Cureboi

Discovered them some time ago & liked what I heard.

They're playing in Brooklyn tonight, with Mark Burgess.
8)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
robertzombie
Overbomber

Maisey
Slight Overbomber

This isn't the first time this band have been waved under my nose, as such I clicked on the first song link.

Its not bad as such but it just isn't hitting the spot either. I dunno, it just seems like Indie Rock meets some of the less interesting bits of Goth. Sounds a bit like White Lies meets Nosferatu (all that banging on about Dark Angels rising and such).

I can see what they're doing, and it seems to be the same sort of thing as a lot of these Goth/post punk inspired Indie bands (step forward once more White Lies).
For me it lacks the true enchanting depth of dark post punk like The Sisters or The Chameleons while at the same time not having that sleek, amphetabeat sound that later Goff bands like The m*****n or Rosetta had.

Sinse the two posts have come at about the same time and as they are two contempary bands with a pretty thorough dark alternitive background I'd like to compare this mob to Solemn Novena. For me the later have hit the musical nail on the head while Blacklist come off sounding a bit unfufilling to my ears.

None the less they aren't bad, I might give 'em a bit more time when I'm feeling a bit more receptive 8)
Nationalise the f**king lot.
Syberberg
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

On first listening, kinda reminds me of a cross between The Silencers and Echo and The Bunnymen. I like it, in an odd way.
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
BeyondThePale
Road Kill

Not bad. "Flight of the Demoiselles" sounds like Ultravox (Midge Ure era) meets The Cult. But who wants to hear that in 2009?
I mean, post-punk/new wave revival is not interesting, maybe even less than other revivals. Because the purpose of post-punk/new wave was to do something NEW. So the bands who just imitate post-punk/new wave bands are pointless.
Well, anyway it's a nice, pleasant and easy music to listen to, but not so exciting.