Cover time

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
PipoTheClown
Amphetamine Filth

Hi,

Haven't been on this forum for a whle, so it may be covered already. But anyways, this is the best SOM cover I ever heard:

Zis corrozion
Axe FX - Fractal Adidio
Syberberg
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Bit too jazz for my taste, but even so, it's still a damn fine interpretation.
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Quite good but gets a bit monotonous after a while.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
PipoTheClown
Amphetamine Filth

stufarq wrote:Quite good but gets a bit monotonous after a while.
Just like the original :lol:
Axe FX - Fractal Adidio
Syberberg
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

PipoTheClown wrote:
stufarq wrote:Quite good but gets a bit monotonous after a while.
Just like the original :lol:
Only because we've been listening to it far too many times. :wink:
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

I think lampchops influences sounds much better than jim steinman's boring 10 minute marathon. It's still nice if the sisters are playing TC live but I can't really stand the studio version.
Victim of Circumstance
Slight Overbomber

A damn fine version which really captures the spirit of the original, I definitely like it and it is one of best of the best Sisters covers I ever listened to :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Kommt Zeit,
kommt Rat,
kommt Attentat.
Being645
Above the Chemist

sorry, but I just don't like it ...
Silver_Owl
The Don

DocSommer wrote:I think lampchops influences sounds much better than jim steinman's boring 10 minute marathon. It's still nice if the sisters are playing TC live but I can't really stand the studio version.
I'm with you there. :notworthy:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

agree studio version of TC is a too long boring joke. it's so long that you forgot that is a joke.
lachert
Overbomber

:eek: you folks must be crazy :eek:
love corrosion and it can be 20 minutes long or even more with only the same end chanting, triple snare or something :P
one thing breaking my heart is that i will never hear proper studio release of this by sisterhood :?
long live rock'n'roll
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Bartek wrote:agree studio version of TC is a too long boring joke. it's so long that you forgot that is a joke.
That's why I hate long jokes generally - always missing the point because I get tired of listening :lol:

I wouldn't say that lambchops version is something I could hear all day long but I like it occasionally - you'll definetly need to right mood.
Being645
Above the Chemist

:urff: .. i just can't stand this voice ... but it's only my personal impression, I know ...
Rise891
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I shudder to think about the demo before Steinman got a hold of it, just plain awful!
I am NOT in the cool club
SteBacchus
Amphetamine Filth

I'd never thought of This Corrosion as a lullaby before, I could soon fall to sleep listening to this.
Not for me, sorry.
I don't doubt and I don't take direction....
Silver_Owl
The Don

Rise891 wrote:I shudder to think about the demo before Steinman got a hold of it, just plain awful!
It's out there somewhere - and it's not bad actually. :wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Being645 wrote::urff: .. i just can't stand this voice ... but it's only my personal impression, I know ...
Yeah I can agree to this impression regarding to 99.9% of the other TSOM covers out there - mostly because the performers are trying to copy eldos voice and tunes in a 1:1 style what is doomed to failure of course :lol:
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Hom_Corleone wrote:
Rise891 wrote:I shudder to think about the demo before Steinman got a hold of it, just plain awful!
Yes it is. Both of them.

But the finished version's brilliant. Especially the choir.
Rise891

I agree I have heard 3 and they are all bad!
Silver_Owl
The Don

stufarq wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote:
Yes it is. Both of them.

But the finished version's brilliant. Especially the choir.
I like it rough and ready. Ooh.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
xfloorshowx

Together with Foetus cover of First & Last & Always this is the best cover of a Sisters song :notworthy:
...I’ve never had the desire to make a record unless I have something to say...
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

shouldn't be allowed. full stop. unless it's the smurphs (RIP). though the best cover by the sisters (after much consideration over 20+ years) is the radio session of jolene, which just nudges the live emma into second place. fact. :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Debi

DocSommer wrote:I think lampchops influences sounds much better than jim steinman's boring 10 minute marathon. It's still nice if the sisters are playing TC live but I can't really stand the studio version.

:eek: :urff:

lampchops aside (can't listen as at work!) TC great live but awesome as a studio 10 min version, absolutely awesome :notworthy:

back in the day the long intro gave us goths time to get ourselves onto the dancefloor by the time the bass kicked in!!

i can listen to this in the car over and over :D
sultan2075
Overbomber

xfloorshowx wrote:Together with Foetus cover of First & Last & Always this is the best cover of a Sisters song :notworthy:
I'm a huge fan of ol' JG Thirwell, but I thought that FALAA was pretty bad--he really just phoned it in. I expect more from him.

edit: and I still think the best TSOM cover I've ever heard is the Supersuckers doing Afterhours.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

sultan2075 wrote:
xfloorshowx wrote:Together with Foetus cover of First & Last & Always this is the best cover of a Sisters song :notworthy:
I'm a huge fan of ol' JG Thirwell, but I thought that FALAA was pretty bad--he really just phoned it in. I expect more from him.

edit: and I still think the best TSOM cover I've ever heard is the Supersuckers doing Afterhours.
"phoned it in" :lol:

he claims that he hadn't even heard the original - he just found the lyrics on the web and put them to a tune he was already working on :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?