Type O Negative

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Toaster Mantis
Road Kill

I know there's some other fans here, so let's talk about the self-anointed "Drab Four" who are also the first and best heavy metal band to draw significant influence from The Sisters of Mercy. Their frontman Peter Steele would sound a hell of a lot like Andrew Eldritch if it wasn't for his thick working-class Noo Yawk accent which means he sounds more like Von doing a Sylvester Stallone impression.

The TSOM inspiration is only evident in places on their debut Slow, Deep and Hard which is mostly an extremely eccentric thrash album (in case you're curious, frontman Pete's previous band Carnivore sounded pretty much like SD&H but without the keyboards) but really blossomed on Bloody Kisses and October Rust. It become more understated on World Coming Down, though, which is pretty much a doom metal album all the way though there's a couple of basslines that wouldn't have sounded out of place on Floodland.

My favourite album of theirs is probably Bloody Kisses, probably the only record I've ever heard combining punky thrash, doom metal, industrial noise soundscapes and Floodland-era TSOM on many songs even seamlessly blending all those styles seamlessly... it's something that should by all logic not work but somehow manages to do. I think it's the band's very strange sense of humour that makes it all glue together, the song We Hate Everyone kind of resembles Frank Zappa having a go at speed metal. (I kid you not) Oh, and the last song on that album's closing track is a raga. A goddamn raga. ;D

I recently finally got around to buying October Rust, which I understand is the most popular Type O Negative album. It's even more TSOM-influenced, but whereas Bloody Kisses pastiched Floodland with its long bass-driven songs and elaborate synth arrangements, October Rust seems more inspired by the early EPs and First and Last and Always. It's far from a bad album, really, but the crossbreeding between heavy metal and TSOM-style post-punk is a bit more literal here and there's some songs where it doesn't really work. Strange when the arrangements are a great deal simpler than on the previous album! It's worth the trouble just for odd man out My Girlfriend's Girlfriend, which can best be described as a bizarre metal parody of The Doors.

Speaking of which, for a while they also had a running gag of doing dark and gloomy metal covers of hippie anthems culminating in World Coming Down climaxing with a sludgified medley of Beatles song.

As for their other albums, I don't have Life Is Killing Me. Their latest one, Dead Again is pretty good but it's probably their most purely metal album since Slow, Deep and Hard.
You can take a tiger out of the jungle, but you can't take the jungle out of the tiger... on the other hand, the tiger can't step into the same river twice because other waters are always flowing on to it. Yeah.
James Blast
Banned

as a long time FanbOi, I don't agree with the The Sisters refs

Life is Killing Me is fine, no great shakes but not crap like a live The Sisters show for the past, what 8-9 years? but not good enough to make me buy Dead Again :urff:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Hmmm...put me in a room with Peter Steele for a month and I'm one happy lady! 8)

His voice is rather unique, the accent a bit of a downfall but yeah TON does pleasant things with my ears. Also have the October Rust cd and in the autumn days a good one to play! :notworthy:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
James Blast
Banned

October Rust is a work of heartfelt genius and Green Man is...

s'cuse me, I seem to have something in my eye
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

As a shameless person, I can brazenly admit to only owning Least Worst Of.... It's quite good, but my interest in ToN has waned over the years...

No criticisms here though.
Toaster Mantis
Road Kill

timsinister wrote:As a shameless person, I can brazenly admit to only owning Least Worst Of....
Does it have their cover of Black Sabbath "from the Satanic perspective"? A friend played me that one once, and it's interesting to for once hear Type O Negative cover a song where the original's in a similar style to their own. :lol: Also one of the best cover versions ever period.

Madame Butterfly wrote:His voice is rather unique, the accent a bit of a downfall but yeah TON does pleasant things with my ears.
To be honest, Pete's Noo Yawk accent is probably the least of Type O Negative's many idiosyncrasies which I all consider part of the band's appeal, that they do many things other mainstream metal bands wouldn't even think about. 8)
You can take a tiger out of the jungle, but you can't take the jungle out of the tiger... on the other hand, the tiger can't step into the same river twice because other waters are always flowing on to it. Yeah.
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

well well.. it's a long story really. they are my top band. ever.

they were just on tour in the states and the reviews are great. here is a little something:

http://hardtimes.ca/typeoOnegative09

last European tour in 2007 was a bit scary. I enjoyed the Prague show the best because of the atmosphere but they did great in Belgrade. Budapest was horrific.

Can't say which album I like the most. It changes all the time but right now it's between LIKM and World Comind Down. However with October just passing by I got October Rust out after a long time of not listening to it.

SD&H...fun for the Carnivore fans too...maybe some of you were at the Carnivore gigs in 2007, I was in Tilburg.

Got some pretty good pics with them and other TON fanatics so if you are interested to see let me know.

oh and I met my man and excellent friends on the TON board..just like here, it's a family. a sick family nevertheless...heh:)
James Blast
Banned

I am interested, TON live at the Glasgow Garage back in 97 is still my most very favourite gig EVAH!
I wept at the guitar line to Green Man and they made it snow onstage - FACT!

I've since found out it was foam backlit in a very special way ;D
~ Peter Steele
Toaster Mantis
Road Kill

sziamiau wrote:well well.. it's a long story really. they are my top band. ever.

they were just on tour in the states and the reviews are great. here is a little something:

http://hardtimes.ca/typeoOnegative09
Interesting interview... especially how different Pete's there than in most others I've seen or read, actually a lot of the revelations there put them in a new light.
However with October just passing by I got October Rust out after a long time of not listening to it.
Yeah, what I also like about this band is how their music captures a pitch-perfect autumn mood, perhaps more accurately than anyone else.
Got some pretty good pics with them and other TON fanatics so if you are interested to see let me know.
Pretty interested.
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Toaster Mantis wrote:
Madame Butterfly wrote:His voice is rather unique, the accent a bit of a downfall but yeah TON does pleasant things with my ears.
To be honest, Pete's Noo Yawk accent is probably the least of Type O Negative's many idiosyncrasies which I all consider part of the band's appeal, that they do many things other mainstream metal bands wouldn't even think about. 8)
The accent I can handle. His voice is deep enough give them the manly sound they need. Another appeal the band has is they are all pretty to look at and that mixed with the music makes it a lovely whole.
that ongoing eternity
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

check out the pics on myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/sziamiau

it's been more than two years now but that tour was so much fun!

before that I saw them in 1997 (we had the snow there too:))in Budapest only and missed out on the rest of the tours basically because of work and study and well life..anyways next time around (and I really hope there will be a next time) we are planning to see them in Brooklyn and then join the tour in Europe. counting the normal 4 years between albums the new album will be out in 2011. wishful thinking here:)
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Toaster Mantis wrote:
timsinister wrote:As a shameless person, I can brazenly admit to only owning Least Worst Of....
Does it have their cover of Black Sabbath "from the Satanic perspective"? A friend played me that one once, and it's interesting to for once hear Type O Negative cover a song where the original's in a similar style to their own. :lol: Also one of the best cover versions ever period.

Oh, it does. I'm not a man for such excessive dramatic posturing, honest, so I went off it quite quickly. :wink:

Still cracking rock, though!
Toaster Mantis
Road Kill

sziamiau wrote:check out the pics on myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/sziamiau

it's been more than two years now but that tour was so much fun!
Is it just me or has Josh Silver started looking like comic book writer Alan Moore?

timsinister wrote:I'm not a man for such excessive dramatic posturing, honest, so I went off it quite quickly.
And you couldn't level such an accusation at the Sisters themselves? :P
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

And you couldn't level such an accusation at the Sisters themselves?
Well, the Sisters and TON both sang about the same thing....

Your homework is to compare and contrast Ribbons and Hey Pete...

8)
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

but the sisters do it with a much higher degree of sophistication ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Precisely! Go to to the head of the class young man! :D
James Blast
Banned

did Boss did :(
~ Peter Steele
Toaster Mantis
Road Kill

timsinister wrote:Your homework is to compare and contrast Ribbons and Hey Pete...
... or More and Who Will Save the Sane?. :wink:
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

btw Josh is training to be a paramedic right now. today is his bday. he is a great guy. it was really a pleasure to meet him. Kenny and Johnny are the ladies' men or they seemed to be always surrounded by new generation TON fans, couldn't meet Peter, he was not feeling and looking good in 2007 but from what I have seen from the current pictures of the halloween tour, he is more sociable. I remember when we were talking with Josh next to their tourbus he came surrounded by like 20 girls then he just growled something and disappeared in the tourbus. didn't even see him in bp and in belgrade he took off surrounded by three security guards, looking rather green. we were backstage with Josh by then and then went out to have a couple of beers. 6 of us girls ended up sleeping in the same room, imagine the pillowfights and such:) it was also interesting to rent a bus and drive to Serbia. what can I say, we like the adventure.

anyways Toaster you should get LIKM, excellent album. angry inch is funy as hell I didn't know for a long time it was a cover. Life is killing me is epic...you know one of those songs that refers to our lives sooner or later. anesthesia is great, well the list goes on.

that's one of the things I love about ton..half the time they seems to be referring to you. on the other hand listening to TONcheers me up most of the time, people just need to get the sarcasm, it really shouldn't be wasted

oh and if the fans are screaming "'You Suck'' at the gigs, that is prefectly acceptable, if not required. ;D
canon docre
Overbomber

on a sidenote: I witnessed when AE payed a visit to Type O's dressing room after their Hamburg show sometime in the 90s. Peter was very excited because he's a huge fan. 8)
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
Toaster Mantis
Road Kill

sziamiau wrote:btw Josh is training to be a paramedic right now. today is his bday. he is a great guy. it was really a pleasure to meet him. Kenny and Johnny are the ladies' men or they seemed to be always surrounded by new generation TON fans, couldn't meet Peter, he was not feeling and looking good in 2007 but from what I have seen from the current pictures of the halloween tour, he is more sociable.
Yeah, a friend of mine saw them live in 2007 and said they had to end the gig after very long because of Pete's health being very poor, apparently it was drug withdrawal symptoms?
oh and if the fans are screaming "'You Suck'' at the gigs, that is prefectly acceptable, if not required. ;D
I know. It started with their "fake live album" Origin of the Feces which also recreates the bomb threat that they got from a left-wing extremist group when playing in the Netherlands!

canon docre wrote:on a sidenote: I witnessed when AE payed a visit to Type O's dressing room after their Hamburg show sometime in the 90s. Peter was very excited because he's a huge fan. 8)
I imagine the conversation between those two would have been quite interesting, seeing as Andrew doesn't like most of the bands that imitate the Sisters that's really a sign Type O Negative must have done something right. Also, despite musical similarities Andrew Eldritch and Peter Steele have very different ideological standpoints... Andrew has his "Labour supporter with Anarcho-Syndicalist tendencies" thing going on whereas Pete seems to subscribe to some really bizarre flavour of conservative populism. (People's Republic of Vinland, anyone?)
James Blast
Banned

it's a blood thaang, look it up
~ Peter Steele
canon docre
Overbomber

Toaster Mantis wrote:
canon docre wrote:on a sidenote: I witnessed when AE payed a visit to Type O's dressing room after their Hamburg show sometime in the 90s. Peter was very excited because he's a huge fan. 8)
I imagine the conversation between those two would have been quite interesting, seeing as Andrew doesn't like most of the bands that imitate the Sisters that's really a sign Type O Negative must have done something right. Also, despite musical similarities Andrew Eldritch and Peter Steele have very different ideological standpoints... Andrew has his "Labour supporter with Anarcho-Syndicalist tendencies" thing going on whereas Pete seems to subscribe to some really bizarre flavour of conservative populism. (People's Republic of Vinland, anyone?)
Fear not dear Mantis the convo was more like: "Hey Peter, great show." "well thanks. It means a lot to me that you came." "y'know my fave strip joint opens in one hour, so I had time to kill."
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

canon docre wrote: Fear not dear Mantis the convo was more like: "Hey Peter, great show." "well thanks. It means a lot to me that you came." "y'know my fave strip joint opens in one hour, so I had time to kill."
:lol: :notworthy: :lol:

You have to love :von: 's sense of humour! :wink:
that ongoing eternity
James Blast
Banned

or Jess's ;D
~ Peter Steele