I'll Give Yer F*ckin' Floodland...

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

This is my homeland - or what's left of it. Every single street, lane, shop and bridge are part of me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8373217.stm

Luckily The Folks and relatives are okay. My sister has/had a shop on Main Street, we're still waiting for the Insurance to assess what's left. Her 18 month-old business is wrecked.

Sad times, my friends... :cry:
Four strings good, six strings bad
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

It's a shocker and no mistake. My mum and dad live in Carnforth these days so I was vaguely worried about them (not flooded as it turns out).

But blimey. :(
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

wow. been watching the that on the news the last few days. looks like the worst in a good few years :|

hope your family can get themselves back on their feet and get back to normal sooner rather than later :|
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Silver_Owl
The Don

Terrible. The frightening force of nature.
Hope all your family get things sorted Mark.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Thanks for the best wishes - it is appreciated.

I feel so helpless. Naturally I've offered to go and help with the clean up but because the insurance company hasn't been round there's not much point. Also if food is a bit of an issue, extra mouths to feed won't help the situation. All I can do is sit by the phone and watch as my town crumbles into the sea.

It might sound a tad over-dramatic, but it's how a feel :cry:
mh
Above the Chemist

We're pretty bad over here too, but fortunately I'm nowhere near it. All I can say is best of luck man. :|
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Luck, man. Hard to grasp what it's like until it happens to somewhere, someone you know - then the truth comes home all too well.

:?
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Mark, big hugs fae Mozart Way.
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
DerekR
Doobie Brother

It's not all bad though :lol:
BBC news wrote:Brian Trengove, part owner of an Indian restaurant on Cockermouth high street, refused to be rescued when the floods hit.

He says he has been surviving on curry and rice.
Sorry, just trying to lighten the mood a little. I really feel for you Mark, but as you say not a lot you can do against the awesome power of nature when it decides to kick off. Best wishes to you and your family.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Quiff Boy wrote:looks like the worst in a good few years :|
Sadly, I'd have to disagree and say that this is the latest in what is becoming an increasingly common occurrence. June/July 2007 springs to mind, although the current one may well be worse. Not that that's any comfort to the people being flooded just now and nor does it in any way lessen the tragedy that they're experiencing. It's just very worrying that this is happening so often these days.

Best wishes to all affected.
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

DerekR wrote:It's not all bad though :lol:
BBC news wrote:Brian Trengove, part owner of an Indian restaurant on Cockermouth high street, refused to be rescued when the floods hit.

He says he has been surviving on curry and rice.
Sorry, just trying to lighten the mood a little. I really feel for you Mark
It's cool! And thanks!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

stufarq wrote: It's just very worrying that this is happening so often these days.
Climate change, innit? :urff:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

I saw how that bridge just crumbled!! What a shame for you Mark and your family. My heartfelt wishes to you all.

That force of the water is very powerful and hope your government seriously looks at things like your bridges that my be worn out. To just name one thing. It's also something I think that is going to be coming along again and again so it would a good thing to start thinking how to fight it.

:notworthy: To the man who loves his curry! :lol:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
christophe
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
stufarq wrote: It's just very worrying that this is happening so often these days.
you know that is just a left wing conspiracy! some hackers have proven so with some slightly altered emails :innocent:

@ Mark, I hope everything will be sorted for your family and all the other victims.
the forces of nature can be cruel. :|
Another Shade of You.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

markfiend wrote:
Try building shut every flood-area in the country. Happens here as well.

I don't know the correct term in English, but here in Belgium people tend to build EVERYWHERE, even in those 'natural flooding areas' (or overstromings-gebieden in Dutch)

Not even is that plain stupid (and people building there don't have to whine afterwards of course), but it is also disastrous for people living elsewhere, as the water ALWAYS finds its way out (or, in this case, up).

I've seen whole areas flooded here in Lier and about because 20 miles further down a big apartment block w/ parking space and gardens was planted down disturbing all natural flow and irrigation...

That and climate change, but mostly stupidity of big project people :|

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

You're right, of course. Sheer pressure of large numbers of people in only a small country means that people will build on the flood-plains of rivers (which I guess is similar to your overstromings-gebieden.)

Also, more people (at least in the UK) are covering over their gardens with concrete or tarmac to give themselves car-parking space, which means less water soaks into gardens, which means more water for drains and rivers to handle.

Add in rising sea-levels, increases in extreme weather events, etc. and it's a recipe for disaster. :urff:
—Bertrand Russell
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Aha! Yes loads of people are also covering their gardens with tiles and stuff, the more modern look I believe. Well my garden is a natural garden with trees and grass and plants and stuff and am proud of that! :D

Our country is even smaller than you neighbouring countries, so why not do what the Dutchies did a few years ago...push the sea backwards and gain more ground, oh no wait, we are also sinking and are below sea-level so guess that's us fcuked when the water does come.

:urff: Can we all swim peeps? With dogs and cats on our heads!
that ongoing eternity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

395 people per square km in the Netherlands, compared to 246 in the UK (according to wikipedia) Belgium has 341 if anyone wants to know (and we're the three most crowded European countries, other than microstates like the Vatican, Monaco, etc.)
MadameButterfly wrote: :urff: Can we all swim peeps? With dogs and cats on our heads!
Heh. Waterworld? :lol:
—Bertrand Russell
moses
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I've been waiting for the jokes. thought they would have been flooding in by now :innocent:
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

markfiend wrote:395 people per square km in the Netherlands, compared to 246 in the UK (according to wikipedia) Belgium has 341 if anyone wants to know (and we're the three most crowded European countries, other than microstates like the Vatican, Monaco, etc.)
MadameButterfly wrote: :urff: Can we all swim peeps? With dogs and cats on our heads!
Heh. Waterworld? :lol:
Thanks for that info. Mark! :notworthy: And Waterworld...good heavens are we flooding the whole globe then? :lol: I was actually thinking, if it does come down that badly to jump onto a plane and hit the highest part of the Drakensburg!

So moses, go tell your good friend Noah to start building that Ark again! :wink: ;D
that ongoing eternity
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

moses wrote:I've been waiting for the jokes. thought they would have been flooding in by now :innocent:
I don't want to get kicked off Heartland, so I'll put this kindly.

Shut up.
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

Hang in there mate
You still think swastikas look cool
The real nazis run your schools
They're coaches, businessmen and cops
In a real fourth reich you'll be the first to go
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

BillyBadBreaks wrote:Hang in there mate
Thanks. It's not me, all safe and warm in Leeds - it's my little sister I'm worried about. Estimates vary from 2-4 months when the shop will be dried out and fit for purpose. Luckily she's an insurance policy for loss of earnings, so that's being filed ASAP.

Turns out that the houses next to the Workington Bridge will all have to be demolished, including one that my Mam and Stepdad renovated only a few years ago before selling on. Also turns out that the churchyard that my brother-in-law recently buried his sister in has been washed away - I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions, suffice to say that his mother suffered a suspected stroke upon hearing the news (luckily she's okay).

As you can see, it's so tight-knit up there that everyone has been affected.

...And thanks again for the support. It does make a difference :notworthy:
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

All the best to the people who have and had to suffer this!
"as we walk on the floodland"
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

take care and remember that big water is like carpet bombing, you hate this during and few days but when you look back you treat it like a bless for your old, dirty town.