Public Enemy's fan-funded album falters

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Two months after asking fans to finance the recording and promotion of their 13th studio album, the band have raised less than a third of the cost

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/de ... nded-album
guardian.co.uk wrote:Public Enemy may have set tongues wagging when they announced two months ago that fans would finance their next album, but the boys from Long Island haven't had much luck convincing their supporters. Despite asking for $250,000 (£153,000) in early October, the hip-hop group have only amassed about $70,000 (£43,000) through Dutch website Sellaband.
and THAT is why von doesn't go for that business model.

if it fails, it's just embarrassing...
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

shame
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Flavor Flav will have to sell some gold teeth :eek:
Four strings good, six strings bad
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

shamesky but it shows that people want to get everything for as less as it possible, the best for best (vide: radiohead in rainbows). but take a look that Public Enemy best years is far behind them, innit ?
in the other hand Neubauten action seems to went good.
sultan2075
Overbomber

How bizarre. PE actually featured in a dream I had last night.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Bartek wrote:shamesky but it shows that people want to get everything for as less as it possible, the best for best (vide: radiohead in rainbows). but take a look that Public Enemy best years is far behind them, innit ?
in the other hand Neubauten action seems to went good.
very true.

"Public Enemy best years is far behind them"

yeah, i think that probably didn't help. if they were at their prime i'm sure they'd have had much more interest :|
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:if they were at their prime i'm sure they'd have had much more interest :|
If they were in their prime I'm sure they'd have labels throwing $$$ at them, though that may bring with it limitations a privately-funded album would not. Swings and Roundabouts. In Da Hood.
Four strings good, six strings bad
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

the amount of money Sisters collectors throw at s**t bootlegs, Von could make a killing (in the name of) with FLAC, t-shirts, badges, ointments and alike....
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

How would we, as the relative die-hard collective, respond to AE with begging (cowboy) hat in hand...?

:?:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i think that when it came to it, less people would actually chip in than say they would.

granted there would be a few peopel prepared to shell out a fairly decent wodge of cash for the exclusivity of different packages, and maybe a good portion of HL'ers would also chip in, but i'm equally sure the majorty of more casual sisters fans would reply with a cynical comment about them having sunk to some kind of new low, and write them off for it...

the reason we all love & stick with eldritch is the same reason most people dislike him or have given up with them: his (perceived?) arrogance, detachment and aloofness. that quintessential von-ness :von: :D

sadly attitude that does not sit well with the (cowboy) hat in hand (nice one tim :lol:) image :|

consequently i doubt von would even consider it, and if he did i doubt it would work. the sisters are just not the kind of band that can pull of that kind of fan-engagement.

von has reared us all to be loyal yet cynical & demanding, and in the end that will probably work against him :roll:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

There's the cachet of having your name in the liner notes. Albeit (probably) in 4pt type, but still. I'd chuck in a tenner.

And edit to add, as I was ninja'd by QB: Given that a tenner is about all I would throw in, I project that to a total raised of about £63 from the whole of HL :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
James Blast
Banned

I want the £63 (plus booking fees) back from the gigs I've seen ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Being645
Wiki Wizard

So, let's pray I hit the lottery jackpot next week and I'll pay them the studio time necessary ... :D ...

... proceeded by some six-week preparatory convalescent treatment
with all sorts of good things one's body might be dreaming of - that should do ... ;D

Unfortunately, I'm quite sure, they wouldn't even take it ... :roll: ...
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Maybe the problem is less with the concept than with the application. Selling fixed-price shares is only going to appeal to people who can afford it - in PE's case there's less than 1000 of these people.
Maybe they need to consider a "church roof" type approach: "We need to raise $25,000 to cut a new album. Until we have the money, no new album. Donate $100, $10, or 50p, everything helps. We'll have a chart on the website showing you how much we've raised. Everyone who donates, no matter how much, gets a mention on our website. Donate $100, get a mention in the album booklet, etc."
This way people could give money whenever they felt flush. You'd need some kind of get-out clause - if we don't raise them money in x years then your entire donation will be returned.
Don't know that it would work - seems to be just the thing when the vicar's organ needs re-tooling, maybe the same applies to albums?
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

do I get my sixty three quid back?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
EvilBastard
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:do I get my sixty three quid back?
No - if you read the terms and conditions on the back of your ticket, you'll see that no refunds are possible in the event that:

1. There is no new album
2. At least, not in your lifetime
3. Or indeed, in your galaxy
4. The sound sucked
5. There was a pillock behind you who sang every song, word for word, 3 tones flat
6. You object to :von:'s current hairstyle
7. Or his dress sense
8. The setlist sucked
9. Face it, sunshine, you've got more chance of getting your money back from Ethelred "The Enforcer" St.John-Smyth than you do from the TicketMaster or Telecharge. You should be grateful that we even let you into the gig - you think the venue wants a gaggle of dodgy darklings descending on them? Let me tell you, the convenience fee barely covers the cost of shampooing the snakebite n'black out of the carpets, let alone cleaning the hairspray off the mirrors in the gents. On your bike, lad, and if I catch you around here again I'll give you a clip around the ear.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

I'll take that as a "mibbies aye, mibbies naw" then
~ Peter Steele
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

why i knew that this thread will end on talking about some old band.
James Blast
Banned

odd that, innit? ;D
~ Peter Steele
Big Si
School Bully

EvilBastard wrote:Ethelred "The Enforcer" St.John-Smyth
:eek:

That's my nom-de-plume :innocent:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
James Blast
Banned

I call him Ethel ;D
~ Peter Steele
Big Si
School Bully

James Blast wrote:I call him Ethel ;D
Ethel the Frog :wink: :twisted:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Bartek wrote:why i knew that this thread will end on talking about some old band.
The m*****n?
mh
Above the Chemist

I'd give him €100 and tell him to get a fecking bass player.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Big Si
School Bully

mh wrote:I'd give him €100 and tell him to get a fecking bass player.
:notworthy:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis