Read, read, read!!!! education, imagination, humour

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Big kiss for Big Si!!! Thanks for the heads up!
Alex66
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Caravaggio; A life Sacred and Profane, the man was a complete nutter constantly getting in to fights, killed a man but created some of the most fantastic and deep works.
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
radiojamaica
Overbomber

UniversalRinging wrote:Hello all: I have a goofy request. Does anyone know of any punk or goth novels? More specifically, novels in which the characters are punks or goths? In the vein of Jennifer Egan's A Visit From the Goon Squad. And hopefully not American. My searches keep turning up photo books and oral histories and teen fiction. Recommendations would be most appreciated. Thanks!
I enjoyed this one, UK pirate radio & punks:

After books from Johnny, Dee Dee & Monte I'm reading Marky's story now. I can never get enough insight in the Ramones' story. So sad at times, so utterly funny at times, but always real.

in dub we trust
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Anyone interested in non-league football (and a very lapsed heartlander) might get something out of my first foray into e-publishing. A little travelogue / history thing based on spending last season watching Northern League footie. All very grassroots, and like the best sports writing, not really about the on-field action. And it's only a couple of quid. You could do worse ...

On sale here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074LZ3T2L

Bit of a write-up here: http://www.liberoguide.com/ancients-and-mariners/
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Niall Ferguson - The ascent of money
Big Si
School Bully

:wink:

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Radiojamaica: Oooh looks good. I'll check it out. Re: Ramones, same for me. I cried the first time I saw End of the Century. f**king Dee Dee.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

UniversalRinging wrote:I cried the first time I saw End of the Century. f**king Dee Dee.
Yeah, heartbreaking at times... I love that band so much!
Another tearjerker: The future is unwritten (about Joe Strummer)

Last night's viewing included this:

HI-la-ri-ous! :lol: :notworthy:
in dub we trust
EvilBastard
Overbomber

20 years after I bought it, finally getting around to reading it.

Not a bad read, although he really can't write for shizznit. Not too much of "white man saving the heathens", some undercurrents of "We should be ashamed that we shafted the Arabs", interesting for people who know the region and a bit of the recent-ish history but not a history book per se. It isn't a book I'd read again - anyone want my copy after I'm done with it?
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Big Si
School Bully

EvilBastard wrote:20 years after I bought it, finally getting around to reading it.

Not a bad read, although he really can't write for shizznit. Not too much of "white man saving the heathens", some undercurrents of "We should be ashamed that we shafted the Arabs", interesting for people who know the region and a bit of the recent-ish history but not a history book per se. It isn't a book I'd read again - anyone want my copy after I'm done with it?
Is that the 'abridged' version which was made more widely available when re-published after his Death? As i've got a copy of the unabridged 'subscriber' edition that was finally re-printed in 1997 and 2003.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Pillars_of_Wisdom
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I've read two abridged versions. One had only five pillars of wisdom. The other had all seven pillars but they were only of cleverness.
One should always go for the full and unabridged to avoid disappointment.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
zaltys7

million voices wrote:I've read two abridged versions. One had only five pillars of wisdom. The other had all seven pillars but they were only of cleverness.
One should always go for the full and unabridged to avoid disappointment.
One should always read the full version, but never go full retard. :D
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I usually only tard once. It is very rare that I tard twice.
Smiley Face or as Lawrence would have said Tee Hee.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Ralph Leighton and Richard Feynman: Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

The House Of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski

For the tenth time I gues -- can't get enough of the style (writing as well as layout), the stories within stories, and the very witty interplay between the two... sheer genius.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Great Essays in Science by Martin Gardner.

Brian kicking.
Big Si
School Bully

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
zaltys7

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:The House Of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski

For the tenth time I gues -- can't get enough of the style (writing as well as layout), the stories within stories, and the very witty interplay between the two... sheer genius.

IZ.
An astonishing book, pity that Only Revolutions didn't live up to it, and his next one "The Familiar" is a 27 volume project, released at about one a year, he might live that long but I certainly wont, and on top of all that, who really gives a f**k anyway :cry:
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
zaltys7

Big Si wrote::wink:

KLF: Chaos, Magic and the Band Who Burned a Million Pounds by John Higgs was great as well.

Is yours the same book?
Big Si
School Bully

zaltys7 wrote:Is yours the same book?
:wink:

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Started to read The Great Gatsby, but i gave up after 40 pages, i felt like i was reading Catcher in the Rye for adults.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Stephen Hawking: A brief history of Time
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

zaltys7 wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:The House Of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski

IZ.
An astonishing book, pity that Only Revolutions didn't live up to it, and his next one "The Familiar" is a 27 volume project, released at about one a year, he might live that long but I certainly wont, and on top of all that, who really gives a f**k anyway :cry:
True... Only Revolutions was nothing but confusing, whereas HoL was a very good story within a story. The Whalestoe Letters was also nice, as a companion to HoL, the 50 yo Sword is a nice one, The Familiar, I have Vol 1 and 2, and that's it.... I will cherish his first and best work....

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

Looking forward to strating this:

Good interview with the author: clicky
My life is one long week of stupid clothing benders.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Nature's Numbers: The Unreal Reality Of Mathematics by Ian Stewart