Web Browser Selection

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
culprit
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

On logging on this morning i got a 'browser selector' screen on Internet Explorer, apparently following the EU rulings.
It basically asks which browser i want to use, with easy download links.

I've always been lazy, and therefore only have ever used IE.

What should I do?

Am i right in thinking some are more secure?

I like the idea of Safari cos i love itunes/apple.
I like the firefox one cos I hear its more secure.
I like the chrome one cos of the pretty colours.
and
I like IE cos I'm lazy and its familiar.

Hit Me! 8)
...mmmmmmmmmMMMMMM!....
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

the mac version of safari is a thing of great speed and beauty, but sadly the pc version isn't quite right. i'd avoid :(

your best bet for pc are chrome or firefox

chrome is light and fast and great for casual browsing or for low-spec pcs

firefox is a bit of a brute but its very powerful and can be extendded/updated with "add ons" to get loads of cool new features... ...if you want them.

if you don't want all the features of firefox i'd go with chrome. it's a newcomer to the browser scene but it's pretty nippy and comes with a few groovy features such as being able to search google direct from the url bar 8)

tbh, you're not limited to one so pick whatever you want and then go download another if you dont like it

direct links are:

http://www.google.com/chrome
http://www.getfirefox.com/

if you're used to IE, firefox is probably the most similar. chrome can feel like a bit of a departure at first as google have done some fundamental things differently.
Last edited by Quiff Boy on 07 Apr 2010, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
streamline
Slight Overbomber

Firefox for me.

Anything but Explorer!

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
mh
Above the Chemist

IE8 is actually not all that bad nowadays, and it's a far cry from the times of unrestrained ActiveX running wild on your PC. I'm a creature of habit though and I'm just comfortable with using Firefox.

One thing: if this is a work PC you may have policies in place to set a proxy server and so forth, which just won't work with other browsers. You may also have policies regarding users installing software on their own machines. You may even have internal web applications that only work with IE6 (if you've anything from Oracle chances are that you do - it's either IE6 or Netscape 4 and screw the rest of 'em). If so check with your admin first before doing anything.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i use safari, chrome and firefox. i used to use opera as well but i don't need to have 4 browsers running at same time these days :p
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Firefox. However as I do web development as a job I also have several million other browsers to test on. :roll:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Holly_DelRey

I use Firefox, tho sometimes it will be contrary. I guess you can pretty much get that with any browser tho. IE was the most horrible :P
🇨🇦 🔁 🇺🇲
vicus

Opera. And Firefox (sometimes)
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Firefox, because it was easy when I went Mac, I could just move all the nice little tweaks with me. It becomes more of a pain to use with each version though :|
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Changed from Opera to Firefox long ago ... very simple, never any difficulties again ... ;D ...
EvilBastard
Overbomber

I use FireFox but I find that it often doesn't close properly if you click on the X in the top right, rather than use File/Close. Remains running in the background consuming increasing amounts of resources. Pain in the erse.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Big Si
School Bully

:wink:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Sita

Big Si wrote:Image

LOL!!!

I use Firefox too - never had any problems.
vicus

"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

For me :D
Four strings good, six strings bad
Silver_Owl
The Don

I don't use one at all. :innocent:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Hom_Corleone wrote:I don't use one at all. :innocent:
You use butterflies?

http://xkcd.com/378/
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Silver_Owl
The Don

markfiend wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote:I don't use one at all. :innocent:
You use butterflies?

http://xkcd.com/378/
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
James Blast
Banned

FF at the mo, I flip between that and Safari on't Big Mac, I haven't tried Camino on this yet (it was a fave on my underpowered G4) and today at work I used some version of clunky, shiitey IE, yes I'm now a peecee and it is fuckin' hell :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Gary

Never really understood the hate for IE.. it works most of the time. I use Firefox, and IE with the occasional bit of Safari..
James Blast
Banned

IE = CLUNK!
Safari/FF = smoooooth

nes pas?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Holly_DelRey

vicus wrote:

Cute :lol:
🇨🇦 🔁 🇺🇲
Pista
Cureboi

Firefox here.
But getting a bit narked with these personas.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
mh
Above the Chemist

Pista wrote:Firefox here.
But getting a bit narked with these personas.
I installed them, took one look, and uninstalled them just as fast. Ghastly idea.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Gary wrote:Never really understood the hate for IE.. it works most of the time. I use Firefox, and IE with the occasional bit of Safari..
Most of the hate comes from the developer end.

IE6 doesn't render web-pages properly. IE7 isn't much better. IE8 is nearly fixed. And because each of these versions of IE has significant market share (and is broken in a subtly different way) a web dev has to make sure that his sites work in all three—as well as in browsers that work like they should (FF, Safari, Opera, etc.)

And don't even talk to me about IE's javascript support.

When the average user comes across a site that doesn't work properly in IE they blame the site, not the browser. Nine times out of ten, it's actually the browser.
—Bertrand Russell