Hi I'm James Blast and I'm a peecee

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
James Blast
Banned

Today was P-day, we started using peecees at work.
As most, if not all of you, know I have been Mac and Mac only for 25 years professionally and 13 domestically. I'm also something of a Mac evangelist or bully, if you like. The experience I had today of trying to do my job with a clunky, out of date OS - we're still on XP, Council policy - and what I'm told are fairly high spec machines was nothing short of headshakingly horrid.
I had a simple job of updating a poster for an awards scheme - swapping an old shot for a new pic - the layers I had to go through and the hoops I'd to jump through to get it done turned a 5min job into a one hour marathon.
Admittedly it didn't help having to use Illustraitor CS4 - a program that we received 45mins training in last Thursday. I tried to d/l the free version of FreeHand MX Adobe have leaked and got as far as getting the zipfile down and unzipping it only to find I don't have permission to install anything on my peecee.
All our fonts are f**k'd, the screen res is pish, we have no access to a dedicated printer - we share one printer between 36 bods - all our prefs are vaporized, kybd shrtcts gone, @ key in a different place, I already have RSI from using pinky to reach alt and our web browser is IE.

The whole experience has induced heartsink of mega proportions and I know they say it's a bad workman who blames his tools but this feels like trying to do my job with one arm tied and my good eye closed.
I feel like a second rate citizen.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Petseri
Overbomber

Admit it, Windows 7 was your idea.
Last edited by Petseri on 08 Apr 2010, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Why have they gone over to peecees Unkle James? I thought Macs were pretty much standard in your profession :?
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
James Blast
Banned

it's a step up from

"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
James Blast
Banned

boudicca wrote:Why have they gone over to peecees Unkle James? I thought Macs were pretty much standard in your profession :?
ask yer uncle Gordo Brownutz
~ Peter Steele
Pista
Cureboi

I do sympathise.
I use a peeeceee at work & it can be a pain in the wotsit, even when you've had more than a day to get used to it.

But like Claire said, Macs are pretty well industry standard for graphics stuff.
You'd have to question "why is that?" before making the decision to switch to peecee.
It's prolly as a Mac can make very complex things very easy & quick to do indeed.
Switching like that is just going to incur a massive learning curve & risk of missing deadlines etc.

& as for the @ key. What's the big idea moving it like that?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
James Blast
Banned

the gear feels so cheap and outdated, it's all HP - 22" bleaurgh res monitors, Nvidea craps res card, 8 G RAM on an Z400 or summat hooked to a Ricoh (WHIIIT!?) printer.

then I come home to 27" of absolute joy
~ Peter Steele
Pista
Cureboi

LOL.
I spend a whole weekend on the Mac & get to work on Monday thinking, "WTF is going on?"

:|
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity