Geek help needed!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Help!

I've just tried to power up my laptop and been given the error message about Windows was shut down unexpectedly or whatever it says. It give you the options;
Safe mode
Safe mode with command prompt
Safe mode with networking
Last known good config (or something similar)
Or
Normal start up.
None of them get anywhere other than returning me to the above screen.

My music library and writing are on it. :( :eek:

What are my options?

Thanks! :kiss:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
James Blast
Banned

get a Dick! ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Holly_DelRey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Steve, do you have a Windows boot disk?
🇨🇦 🔁 🇺🇲
Sita

Hello Aleister - I mean Hom ;D

Is this the first time or did anything like that happen before?

My PC hates all automatic updates, automatic tendering and things that Windows likes to do in the background (including weekly backups, Firefox backups, and stuff) and used to respond with amnesia next time I started it :urff:

If it's something simple like that, a boot disk like Hollylicious said might be all needed!
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:Help!

I've just tried to power up my laptop and been given the error message about Windows was shut down unexpectedly or whatever it says. It give you the options;
Safe mode
Or
Normal start up.

What are my options?

I'd be inclined to take the hard drive out, set the jumpers to "slave", and pop it in an external HD enclosure. Then buy a brand new shiny hard drive, do a nice clean install of Windurz on it, then use that to access whatever data is on the "slave" drive. When you've got everything you need off it (music, piks, docs), take a sledgehammer to it and recycle the bits so you don't accidentally use a dodgy drive again.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

... or get a Mac ;D
Last edited by James Blast on 27 Apr 2010, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

If you've changed or updated anything I'd go for safe mode.

It may have run a windows update in the background, which might have f**ked something.

Your options are safe mode, if that doesn't work try a rescue disk, and if that doesn't work EB's suggestion of plugging it in as slave to a diff pc is prob last resort.

Good luck :o
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Andie
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:Help!

Safe mode
Or
Normal start up.

What are my options?

How bizarre...my old Dell XP laptop did exactly the same thing last week...every time I tried something different, it returned to that blue screen...I don't have an XP start up disc as the laptop was second hand and I'm not confident enough to remove the Hard Drive...

I get the distinct feeling that I'm going to have to take it to a man that can...and then invest in a shiny new one :?
James Blast
Banned

that's one of the reasons I don't do regular software updates on my Mac, even Appleâ„¢ break things, I wait a week or two then do it once all the custard has been cleared ;D
~ Peter Steele
EvilBastard
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:... or get a Mac ;D
Yes, or get a Mac. Then take it down to your local Apple store, wait in line for 17 days behind emo kids with skate-boards, all identically-dressed to prove their individuality, to see some spotty git at the Genius Bar, who's half your age, with bad hair, that he's never seen anything this old before, that "you've fratzled the quirkyzoop - nothing we can do, we'll have to replace the whole thing. Nope, sorry, you've lost all the data and there's no way to get it back. Tough shizz, daddy-o. I'm surprised that someone your age even understands how to turn a Mac on - should have stuck with a PC, granddad."

Yeah, get a Mac. :roll:
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

you have issues, don't take them out on me dickless! :lol:
~ Peter Steele
Sita

Hom and Andie, have you checked your laptops for unwanted guests? Last year my PC caught a Rootkit which made it behave funny.

If you do the slave disk thing, you might want to check the disk for guests?

@ Evil Bastard - I feel you :lol: :notworthy:
EvilBastard
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:you have issues, don't take them out on me dickless! :lol:
What's the matter there, Cap'n Blaaaaaahst? No issues here at Bastard Meadows - we just like to be able to fix and tweak the things we own. Then again, we still have opposable thumbs and aren't easily impressed by shiny white things, at least not since encountering arse-ripping primary-school toilet paper. Thus the hulking hand-built beasts that run the estate are gleaming piano-black with softly-glowing multi-hued LEDs, that ooze menace and eat kittens that are unwary enough to venture into their domain. They stand ready to do my bidding.

:von: doesn't use a Mac - neither should you :lol: :P
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

him, baldy with the shades and Space Trudge t-shirt is a cock and treats us like shite, I'll stick with product from 'designer stubble/black turtle neck/PADman' until he foists more pish on us like iTunes :evil:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18377_5- ... apple.html :lol:
~ Peter Steele
EvilBastard
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:him, baldy with the shades and Space Trudge t-shirt is a cock and treats us like shite
Ah, the Mission fan is finally out of the closet - nice of you to join us. :lol:
Hank Moody
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

EvilBastard wrote:
James Blast wrote:you have issues, don't take them out on me dickless! :lol:
What's the matter there, Cap'n Blaaaaaahst? No issues here at Bastard Meadows - we just like to be able to fix and tweak the things we own. Then again, we still have opposable thumbs and aren't easily impressed by shiny white things, at least not since encountering arse-ripping primary-school toilet paper. Thus the hulking hand-built beasts that run the estate are gleaming piano-black with softly-glowing multi-hued LEDs, that ooze menace and eat kittens that are unwary enough to venture into their domain. They stand ready to do my bidding.

:von: doesn't use a Mac - neither should you :lol: :P
Mine's aluminium and it's the best computer I owed since the invention of toilet paper.

(obviously, apart from my C64 :D)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
James Blast
Banned

Preach Sister, Preach! Image
~ Peter Steele
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

James Blast wrote:Preach Sister, Preach! Image
It is, and I would say so if it weren't as well :)

It works, tout court, installed Cubase onnit, my new shiny MIDI controller, new audiocard, works a treat, no issues, no driver install no fuss.

Maybe the only thing a Mac is difficult at in the beginning is tweaking, but then again, it does not need tweaking.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
James Blast
Banned

FACT! pt.2

I switched this iMac on and was 'scurfing the merb' within 2mins - I shit you not
the graffix program installations took their time but they were coming off CDs
~ Peter Steele
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Maybe the only thing a Mac is difficult at in the beginning is tweaking, but then again, it does not need tweaking.

IZ.
Of course it needs tweaking! You can never buy what you want off the shelf unless you're paying someone else to customize it. How else are you going to hook up a fog machine to your computer and configure it to fire up whenever you play a Sisters track?
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

who is Sisters pls?
~ Peter Steele
EvilBastard
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:who is Sisters pls?

as well you know.
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

just says "Image" here, oh I forgot I'm on a dumb Mac ;D
~ Peter Steele
EvilBastard
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:just says "Image" here, oh I forgot I'm on a dumb Mac ;D
It's probably NSFW if you're on a Mac - 's pictures of guuuurls...
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

peecee guuuurls?

I pass, nae tits mahn :evil:
~ Peter Steele