Making exact copies of some DVDs?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

I need to copy some DVDs for a trade I'm sorting out... I've got the blank discs, and my laptop has a DVD burner type drive, but I need some software that can make some high quality exact copies - what do you guys all use?

Nationalise the f**king lot.
bananacamel
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I use Nero
I've got a mind like a poisonous fish...
paul
Overbomber

Yep, Nero indeed
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

No freeware that can do it?
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Isn't nero free? I don't burn dvd's myself,but when I bought my pc it came with nero already installed.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
mh
Above the Chemist

Nero just comes free with some drives. I use CDBurnerXP (http://cdburnerxp.se/) which is free and doesn't come with all the crap that Nero bundles.

Basically you want to extract an ISO from the source DVD and then write that to your copies. This will give you more or less an exact duplicate of the original. Might be problematic if the original is copy-protected though.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
gudge
Road Kill

If the dvd`s are copy protected,then look for dvd shrink.

If they are not then cdburnerXP,will do the job.

You will also need to be aware that your dvdrw`s will probably be either dvd-5 or dvd-9(simply single layer or dual layer)
A dvd-5 holds 4.37gb of data(although it states 4.7gb on the disc and wrapping)
A dvd-9 holds 7.95gb of data(on the disc will be 8.5gb)

If your source dvd`s are more than 4.37gb then you will need to use a dual layer disc or use dvdshrink but you will sacrifice some quality in the compression to fit a single layer disc.

Videohelp.com will give you guides to follow.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

I use DVD Decrypter - lovely, very simple, quick, free.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

If you wanna go for a paid solution, AnyDVD and CloneDVD work perfectly.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
originalgoth
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I was using several freewares in the past and found them all very easy to use & worked great.

DVD Cloner (Does exactly that)

DVD Shrink (lets you remove unwanted parts of DVDs - menus, subtitles, or dubbing in foreign languages, also lets you compress quality of original movie to fit more onto a disc).

DVD43 (gets around the Region issue and runs in the background when you play any DVD)

DVD Decrypter (removes copyright coding).
And I ride down the Highway 101
By the side of the ocean, headed for Sunset

Black Planet according to originalGoth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hYeYgNIntQ
robertzombie
Overbomber

DVD decrypter ;)

Remember though, if the source DVD is dual layer, you'll need to burn onto 8gb discs in order to make a 1:1 copy. If the source is less than 4.3gb you'll be fine with standard dvd-r's :)
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Thanks for the replies :)

Currently on ImgBurn - seems to be doing the job. Burning copies of DVDRs for trading, so not got any copyright issues. Might be worth keeping this as a reference thread in weeding though..?
Holly_DelRey

Yah ImgBurn is good & really easy to use.
🇨🇦 🔁 🇺🇲
randdebiel²

In the last few months, I encountered DVD's that DVD decrypter would not accept. For these DVD's I used DVDFAB, which is not exactly free, but does what you need for every DVD even when the free trial period is over and you do not buy the product.

After running DVD Fab, I then use DVD shrink for the actual burning, but that one also requires nero or similar product to do the work.
shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather....