Boney M

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Unashamedly Boney M were my first love (along with the Undertones) in music terms. Bobby Farrell RIP. Not music innovators and mostly not even musicians, but the invention of Frank Farren, the guy responsible for Millie Vanilli but still Rasputin, Rivers of Babylon, He was a Steppenwolf, Daddy Cool etc were damn fine! :notworthy:
The Chancer Corporation
Andie
Overbomber

Sad day, :cry:
Garbageman
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Boney M was my first proper gig at The Rainbow in London.......crazy like a fool, Daddy Cool.
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
James Blast
Banned

Fuck Me!

I'm on the meringue forum
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
paul
Overbomber

I always kinda liked them....
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

"Daddy cool" on every parties tomorrow then ?
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Ma, Ma, Ma, Mah - Mah Baker ... :lol:

Funny, Daddy Cool has just been played on the radio ...

but hell, I changed to Eureka Machines ...
Big Si
School Bully

James Blast wrote:Fuck Me!

I'm on the meringue forum
It's 'Pop Music' old chap :wink:

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
James Blast
Banned

I dooon't believe it!

I was there at the time, Yes and ELP were in their pomp, that shit wrankles wi me :|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

I only just realised a couple of days ago that the "Ma-Ma-Ma-Ma" from Poker Face was a Boney M sample :?

Rasputin was always my fav.
Four strings good, six strings bad
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Yes, he could lip-sync with the best of them.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

James Blast wrote:I dooon't believe it!

I was there at the time, Yes and ELP were in their pomp, that shit wrankles wi me :|
Lost in translation

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
James Blast wrote:I dooon't believe it!

Lost in translation

IZ.
Weegie Prog Rocker translation : "I was - then as now - a proggie, Boney M were disco and as we all know, disco sucks when you're a true rawk fan"

Yir welcome... ;D

I liked Farrell's antics but was never a big Boney M fan, even in my infant years, those some call the '70's. I guess that disco stuff wrankled with me too. Especially German disco. By Frank Farian. Thank Goth for the Neue Deutsche Welle, Kraftwerk and the Neubauten coming along eventually. 'Rasputin' had something I liked, mainly because it was a song about the actual guy. I guess Ma Baker was supposed to be factual as well, but the woman was actually called Barker. Yes, that irked me. I'm a history nerd, sue me... :twisted:
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Always thought Rasputin was a tune, but Brown Girl In The Ring even back then seemed wrong on so many levels.
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

god bless. He might not have done much more than dance and wave his crazy (like a fool) afro around but I love Boney M.

their basslines were more goff than the sisters' :lol: :noteworthy: (seriously, check out ma baker, daddy cool and rasputin's basslines!) 8)

farewell daddy (kinda) cool :|
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Debaser
Overbomber

Would it be wrong to admit owning an unhealthy amount of Boney M singles?
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Debaser wrote:Would it be wrong to admit owning an unhealthy amount of Boney M singles?
Nope! He was a Steppenwolf, the B-side to Painter Man (which was one of the first singes i ever bought) is still one of my fav songs! Can you imagine any pop group these days singing about a prostitute on a suicide kick?! ;D :eek:
The Chancer Corporation
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

abridged wrote:
Debaser wrote:Would it be wrong to admit owning an unhealthy amount of Boney M singles?
Nope! He was a Steppenwolf, the B-side to Painter Man (which was one of the first singes i ever bought) is still one of my fav songs! Can you imagine any pop group these days singing about a prostitute on a suicide kick?! ;D :eek:
And the track "night flight to venus" introduced the pop and disco world to Burundi drumming :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Debaser
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
abridged wrote:
And the track "night flight to venus" introduced the pop and disco world to Burundi drumming :notworthy:
I feel cleansed. Thank you.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

I've got some Boney M records too... of course... Not only the music's big fun, but those sleeves :eek: Yeah baby! :notworthy:

RiP Bobby Farrell
in dub we trust
James Blast
Banned

Yir aw mentalists!

It's Shite!
~ Peter Steele
Debaser
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Yir aw mentalists!

It's Shite!
I bet you know all the words though :P
James Blast
Banned

interseting FACT!

Bobby died in St Petersburg on 29 December. Just like Rasputin *Twilight Zone music*
~ Peter Steele
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

That guy was just a false front for playback performances - his voice is not on the records. IIRC the producer Frank Farian did the original male vocals by himself.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Saw them some 15 years ago, classic party music. But I was extremely drunk and my only memory is me shouting "this sounds exactly like Boney M, do you hear it??" and some annoyed people answering back "this IS Boney M, you moron!"
:innocent: