2011: FALAA Vinyl Reissue

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
vicus
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
jande

Vinyl will be pressed at RTI on audiophile-grade standard vinyl
For the Luddites amongst us (me that is) will that be any different than either of the two vinyl versions I have already, or is it just bollocks to get us to spend more cash on stuff we already own :lol:
Say!
In the dark? Here in the dark!
Would you, could you, in the dark?
theparadox2010
Amphetamine Filth

I wonder who decided it was a good idea??
we're better than the birthday party, but not as good as motorhead, that makes us pretty damn good!!!!
Rise891
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

"Goth & Gloom?" I'm in!
I am NOT in the cool club
mh
Above the Chemist

Pre-order on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Always-VI ... 749&sr=1-1

Price seems reasonable enough for this kind of thing; I wonder is it the original mixes? Might satisfy my need for some Sisters product this year anyway. ;D
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
vicus

"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Since I still have the original gatefold sleeve version that I bought the week it came out a long time ago,and the single sleeve version which I picked up with a couple of other things,I think I'll give this a miss.What with having two different cd versions as well,having the same album five times seems a little extravagent.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
mh
Above the Chemist

Only 5? :lol:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

I want one !!! ... ;D :lol: ...

We might get a discount on an collective omnibus order ... ;D ...
damagedone

mh wrote:Only 5? :lol:
:lol: 8) :lol:
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Historicly Mobile Fidelity have a fantastic reputation for sound quality.Normally sourcing the original master tapes , transfering and pressing new vinyl albums in house to ensure maximum quality control, the vinyl was usually heavyweight (200gm) virgin vinyl to ensure a noise free background and maximum sound quality..I thought they had finished with vinyl and concentrated on other formats.
It looks as though they are still claiming use of the original master tapes but there is no mention of the vinyl weight.
I'd wrote to Mofi over a decade ago suggesting The Sisters, they replied that they'd love to but the record comp. wouldn't allow them.

BTW check ebay for prices of their previous vinyl offerings :wink:
Last edited by Pat on 12 Jan 2011, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
mh
Above the Chemist

Feck it, I bought one! :D
despair
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote:Feck it, I bought one! :D
Yep, nobrainer for me, just placed an order :von:
lachert
Overbomber

1 of 5? :eek:
limited to how many? :eek:
anyway, good news :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
Carpathian Psychonaut

Pat wrote:Historicly Mobile Fidelity have a fantastic reputation for sound quality.Normally........
It's an MFSL release? Oooooh, that's excellent. Their Ultradisc IIâ„¢ 24 KT Gold CD release of Faith No More's 'Angel Dust' was a stormer. I bought it and well worth the $ it was!

I'm now also curious what they get out of FALAA.....
You’ll Disappear Before The Next Star Rises
mh
Above the Chemist

The template for all goth-rock records that followed, Sisters of Mercy’s First And Last And Always stands as one of the—if not the most—influential albums of its kind ever released. Distinguished by Andrew Eldritch’s ghostly singing, which gives the impression of hearing a forlorn ghoul croon from a foggy English graveyard, the 1985 set is drenched in gloom, claustrophobia, black humor, and dance-ready beats that provide exhilarating contrasts. Fans of the Cure, Depeche Mode, Love and Rockets, Peter Murphy, mid-period Nick Cave, and Joy Division will find it to be a new favorite record.

Mastered on Mobile Fidelity’s world-renowned mastering system and pressed at RTI (the best record plant in North America), Silver Label numbered limited edition LP presents First And Last And Always with a fuller, richer sound that positively obliterates the thin, feeble sonic perspectives that have limited the music until now. Every aspect from Eldritch’s haunting singing to the group’s jangling guitars and prancing bass lines finally gain genuine definition. Yet what’s most improved is the sense of atmosphere: Sisters of Mercy revel in painting tone poems, where the feel and effect are as essential as the notes that are played. This is now an atmospheric tour de force.

Ever since it’s release, First And Last And Always has been aptly shrouded in mythology. Eldritch pushed the envelope during the recording sessions, literally walking into walls and repeatedly unable to maintain his focus. Strung out on amphetamines, dazed by days of no sleep, upset by a recent breakup, and eating little, the vocalist channeled his discord into somber lyrics and brooding singing. He’s framed by pulsing albeit lean, spare rhythms, patient tempos, and the clatter of a programmed drum machine that, in spite of its mechanical operation, sounds strangely organic. The songs evoke wet dungeons, walls-closing-in paranoia, and late-night strolls amidst the U.K.’s mysterious underground.

Despite its overall dark character, the record’s arrangements value spaciousness, putting a premium on room and minimalism that makes each note count. As a result, twinkling pianos and keyboards parallel steel-cutting guitars and low-tuned bass lines that, in combination with Eldrtich’s baritone, suggest glimmers of hope among the decay. Songs such as the shaking “Possession,� dramatic “Some Kind of Stranger,� and desperate “Marian� remain models of the gothic and post-punk disciplines more than 25 years after their debut. It’s no surprise that, given all of the tension and personality that infuse the album, Sisters of Mercy disbanded just months after its release.

It’s unlikely that any goth-rock album has ever sounded this good. This MoFi Silver Label LP will turn your room into rainy, dreary England, circa 1985, and expose you to one of the most harrowing vocal performances on record.
:von: will be pleased. ;D
James Blast
Banned

Blah, blah, blah... :|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
originalgoth

lachert wrote:1 of 5? :eek:
limited to how many? :eek:
anyway, good news :lol:
I was thinking the same question. Surely a stong selling point in the blurb would be the quantity it's limited to.
And I ride down the Highway 101
By the side of the ocean, headed for Sunset

Black Planet according to originalGoth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hYeYgNIntQ
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

:D
"as we walk on the floodland"
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

James Blast wrote:Blah, blah, blah... :|
Don't be so serious oh, James it's not from your tax and you don't have to buy this. :kiss:
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

Bartek wrote:
James Blast wrote:Blah, blah, blah... :|
Don't be so serious oh, James it's not from your tax and you don't have to buy this. :kiss:
Do you pay tax James? I try not to :innocent:
You still think swastikas look cool
The real nazis run your schools
They're coaches, businessmen and cops
In a real fourth reich you'll be the first to go
James Blast
Banned

that's a very sore point at the mo
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Sorry I don't understand this.

Someone (apparently neither the Sisters nor their record company*) is releasing FALAA on vinyl. How is this not a bootleg?

* Yes, I know...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

markfiend wrote:Sorry I don't understand this.

Someone (apparently neither the Sisters nor their record company*) is releasing FALAA on vinyl. How is this not a bootleg?

* Yes, I know...
I was wondering myself :innocent:
You still think swastikas look cool
The real nazis run your schools
They're coaches, businessmen and cops
In a real fourth reich you'll be the first to go
Carpathian Psychonaut

markfiend wrote:Sorry I don't understand this.

* Yes, I know...
I'd have figured there must be some input from down the line as MFSL usually source a master to work from when doing their editions so they can do things like a first half-speed run to get more details from it? That's one of the things they pride themselves on?

Puzzling indeed.
You’ll Disappear Before The Next Star Rises