Covers in the live set.

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Cover versions have always been a staple of the Sisters shows,right from the start,and the first time I saw them live in 98 I got to see them do both Comfortably Numb and Jolene.The subsequent Trip The Light Fantastic and Exxile tours also had their share,but from 2003's Smoke And Mirrors tour they seem to have disappeared,with the exception of the traditional two minutes of Teachers.I am of course not classing Giving Ground and Rain From Heaven as covers.
Anyone got thoughts as to why this has happened? A deliberate choice or simple coincidence?
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

well in 2005 in lokeren they played a cover . uptawn top ranking whit the music of emma

and in 2008 in the suikerock festival they played capricorn-i din´t know i love you untill i saw you rock and roll as they played in the whole 2001 tour

so haven´t disappeared at all.....let´s see
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
2024: Gent- Eindhoven - Lokeren - Madrid
I Am The Jaw
Road Kill

ribbons69 wrote:Cover versions have always been a staple of the Sisters shows,right from the start,and the first time I saw them live in 98 I got to see them do both Comfortably Numb and Jolene.The subsequent Trip The Light Fantastic and Exxile tours also had their share,but from 2003's Smoke And Mirrors tour they seem to have disappeared,with the exception of the traditional two minutes of Teachers.I am of course not classing Giving Ground and Rain From Heaven as covers.
Anyone got thoughts as to why this has happened? A deliberate choice or simple coincidence?
Maybe he played a lot of covers because there weren't many new Sisters songs at that point? He wanted to perform fresh material but didn't have enough of his own songs finished? But now he has quite a few 'new' songs so there's less need for covers to 'pad out' the concerts?
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

No,I don't believe so,on the Exxile tour in 2001 the band played Capricorn and I didn't Know I loved you pretty often (most if not all gigs?) and in the ten years since how many "new" songs have we had played live? I mean newer than 2001 obviously.Not very many !
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"

we fall to rise
sultan2075
Overbomber

ribbons69 wrote:No,I don't believe so,on the Exxile tour in 2001 the band played Capricorn and I didn't Know I loved you pretty often (most if not all gigs?) and in the ten years since how many "new" songs have we had played live? I mean newer than 2001 obviously.Not very many !

Totally and completely unrelated, but I keep reading your signature as "we fail to rise" and thinking it suits the Sisters so utterly well.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
godgirl
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

i suggested a cover of "leader of the pack" for the 30th anniversary gigs and was told "ben vetoed it"!

so maybe he doesn't like doing covers?

:roll:
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised God doesn't work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness"
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

sultan2075 wrote:
ribbons69 wrote:No,I don't believe so,on the Exxile tour in 2001 the band played Capricorn and I didn't Know I loved you pretty often (most if not all gigs?) and in the ten years since how many "new" songs have we had played live? I mean newer than 2001 obviously.Not very many !

Totally and completely unrelated, but I keep reading your signature as "we fail to rise" and thinking it suits the Sisters so utterly well.
As I get older I find "fail to rise" applies to many things...

we fall to rise
unholyracket
Road Kill

I always thought the Comfortably Numb cover was a bit odd.... if there is one song on The Wall that would have fit the Sisters live pattern perfectly it is Young Lust. Although there is something nagging in my brain that tells me they might have actually done it once but my mind is a little blurry.
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

Sugar Baby Love is probably their finest cover for me - followed by Comfortably Numb - as good as the original, in my humble, but for very different reasons... whereas Von's "rendition" of Stop Dragging My Heart Around" I wouldn't inflict on Hitler... :?
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

I Am The Jaw wrote:
ribbons69 wrote:Cover versions have always been a staple of the Sisters shows,right from the start,and the first time I saw them live in 98 I got to see them do both Comfortably Numb and Jolene.The subsequent Trip The Light Fantastic and Exxile tours also had their share,but from 2003's Smoke And Mirrors tour they seem to have disappeared,with the exception of the traditional two minutes of Teachers.I am of course not classing Giving Ground and Rain From Heaven as covers.
Maybe he played a lot of covers because there weren't many new Sisters songs at that point? He wanted to perform fresh material but didn't have enough of his own songs finished? But now he has quite a few 'new' songs so there's less need for covers to 'pad out' the concerts?
Most (hilaric) covers were being played live just for fun and not because of a lack of songs.
"as we walk on the floodland"
iesus
Overbomber

sarcastic humorous covers i think more likely
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

iesus wrote:sarcastic humorous covers i think more likely
Certainly for them yes...
"as we walk on the floodland"
abridged
Slight Overbomber

It's my Party! ;D
The Chancer Corporation