The Sisters at Sonisphere - 8th-10th July 2011

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2010 Sisters dates and the 2011 30th Anniversary tour
Drenchrom
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

playboy wrote:This clip from a review however, I find perfectly true....

"The Sisters Of Mercy have never had a shining reputation when it comes to performing live. These eyes have seen them on numerous occasions and each time the sound was muddy with the crowd only able to snatch bits of melody when the speakers allowed. What never helps is if a band messes with their songs..."

Am I surprised?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Were you there? If not i wouldn't believe all you read. Always searching for the negative some people.

Matt..
Drenchrom

This is more like the gig i went to.

http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4143 ... dis-review

Matt..
playboy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Drenchrom wrote:
playboy wrote:This clip from a review however, I find perfectly true....

"The Sisters Of Mercy have never had a shining reputation when it comes to performing live. These eyes have seen them on numerous occasions and each time the sound was muddy with the crowd only able to snatch bits of melody when the speakers allowed. What never helps is if a band messes with their songs..."

Am I surprised?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Were you there? If not i wouldn't believe all you read. Always searching for the negative some people.

Matt..
I wasn´t there. Of course the sound was superb. And of course the sound will NOT be superb by the time I get to see them in Sweden in november.

I love Sisters. have done so since 1984. I search for positive reviews, believe me, I would LOVE to read a review that said that the sound was amazing, that you actually could hear Andrew, and that they didn´t mess with their songs (playing half of More, speedy versions of most old songs, playing half Lucretia, playing half Temple Of Love).
And by that I don´t want to hear that review from a hardcore fan. Have heard many reviews from hardcore fans saying that the sound was perfect for example in Denmark 2006. I was there. What a joke.
playboy

Drenchrom wrote:This is more like the gig i went to.

Matt..
If you compare their sound today to the sound from 1984-1993, is it better today and if so, what is better?
Drenchrom

I wouldn't say the sound was superb, it was a good sound for a festival. Surely the band are allowed to do what they want with the songs, if you want them to sound like the records then they never will, they never have. As they say these are two different mediums.

Why should i compare the sound from the early 90s ( i first saw them at Wembley and was rather underwhelmed by it all), i can't compare the 80s gigs as i was too young.

I've seen some shockers too believe me. I don't think the guy from Drowned In Sound is a hardcore fan, i think it was someone who had a great time and didn't go with any pre-conceived ideas of what he was going to get.

At the end of the day i don't think you'll be happy whatever they pull out of the bag. I hope the Swedish gig is good for you i really do. Everyone has different opinions of the sound at gigs, one person may say awful but someone else may have the time of their life.

On that note...time to go i think...

Matt..
mh
Above the Chemist

None of this should be any big deal. Bands evolve. Sometimes they evolve in a direction that maintains compatibility with your tastes and sometimes they don't. That's roundabout all there is to it.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
jay

Drenchrom wrote:Some pictures from the Festival (not mine):

http://www.safeconcerts.com/photos/soni ... -mercy.asp

Matt..
Nice Swatch, this one i believe...
http://eu-shop.swatch.com/GB/EN/Watches ... 043AG.aspx
I no longer get very wrought up over the liminals

Sita

playboy wrote: I love Sisters. have done so since 1984. I search for positive reviews, believe me, I would LOVE to read a review that said that the sound was amazing, that you actually could hear Andrew, and that they didn´t mess with their songs (playing half of More, speedy versions of most old songs, playing half Lucretia, playing half Temple Of Love).
And by that I don´t want to hear that review from a hardcore fan. Have heard many reviews from hardcore fans saying that the sound was perfect for example in Denmark 2006. I was there. What a joke.
I'm not a hardcore fan, and when I'd seen them this february the sound was fine. You could hear Eldritch very well. I don't know if they "messed" with their songs, in my book, he can do with his own songs whatever he wants. Going to a concert is not like you are throwing money at a monkey so he will do some tricks to please you.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Drenchrom wrote:This is more like the gig i went to.

Matt..
Nice review! Finally some words about the other bands too :innocent:

What other gigs did you guys & girls like? You didn't only go see The Sisters I hope ;D
in dub we trust
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

radiojamaica wrote:You didn't only go see The Sisters I hope ;D
Er, yes :)
RIP Dale: 1994 - 2009
_emma_
Overbomber

Andrew S wrote:
*nod*
I did have a 3-day ticket, but mostly because it included the camping. ;D
Drenchrom

I saw bits and pieces, Paradise Lost, Gojira, Mars Volta and the odd band i didn't know.

Matt
Being645
Above the Chemist

Anybody seen the Motörhead gig ?
playboy

Sita wrote:
playboy wrote: I love Sisters. have done so since 1984. I search for positive reviews, believe me, I would LOVE to read a review that said that the sound was amazing, that you actually could hear Andrew, and that they didn´t mess with their songs (playing half of More, speedy versions of most old songs, playing half Lucretia, playing half Temple Of Love).
I'm not a hardcore fan, and when I'd seen them this february the sound was fine. You could hear Eldritch very well. I don't know if they "messed" with their songs, in my book, he can do with his own songs whatever he wants. Going to a concert is not like you are throwing money at a monkey so he will do some tricks to please you.
I am not sure what fine sound means in terms of Sisters.. Some migh say it is fine even if you have to try very hard to hear Andrew and since we are not able to see that much at least ot would be good to HEAR. Another problem besides the sound is of course the performance. Chris is doing a good job but there are one too many misstakes from Ben I think. He should learn the songs a little better before touring. Maybe a lot doesn´t notice or even care, but it is slightly arrogant to a paying audience.
Don´t get me wrong and jump on me all at once, I respect Ben and he is a good guitarist, however it is more important to hold the songs together more than before when they had a live bassist and the drums were louder and did the job.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

_emma_ wrote:
Andrew S wrote:
*nod*
I did have a 3-day ticket, but mostly because it included the camping. ;D

Why didn't I see that one coming?! :lol: :notworthy:
in dub we trust
Spiggy's hat

Spoke to a friend today who went to Sonisphere to see some of his fave metal bands but only had a loose interest in the Sisters. I'd told him that he had to check them out if he got the chance & he said that he'd try.

When I caught up with him this morning he said that he'd been unable to get into the Sisters tent after watching Slipnot on another stage. Apparantly the girls tent was packed to bursting & security were turning masses of people away.
Give me one good reason
_emma_
Overbomber

Yup, that's what it looked like, because they were the only band who were playing at that time of night. The tent was just too small.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

_emma_ wrote:Yup, that's what it looked like, because they were the only band who were playing at that time of night. The tent was just too small.
good job you were queuing from dawn then :lol: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Goths have feelings too
_emma_
Overbomber

I wasn't queueing, a queue is an orderly thing and a nice passtime compared to this, I was more like squeezed and pushed and trying to duck from the crowdsurfers above my head, gradually making my way forward whenever somebody in front of me was dragged up and away by the security. :lol:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Spiggy's hat wrote:Apparantly the girls tent was packed to bursting & security were turning masses of people away.
That was the story with most if not all in-tent gigs :urff: At one point there were oodles of space inside but they still closed it down. Not a pretty image when one entrance was opened up :?
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Sita

Hi playboy, I just wrote "fine", because I thought Iggy + The Stooges last year sounded so mindblowing amazing that it spoiled me forever. Additionally I'm afraid "fine" means "average" in English, but that's not what I meant, I guess I was thinking in my language where "fein" means pleasant.
I know it sucks big time when you go to a concert and it is a downer. But the two Sisters shows I've seen in february were great. After I heard many skeptic opinions about Eldritch's voice, I was especially thrilled that his voice was just brilliant.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Nice review in Metal Hammer of the Soni gig.
MetalHammer wrote:Sole original member,the former leather clad rock God Andrew Eldritch is dressed in neon yellow allowing smoke and lighting to create more atmosphere than the music.Their "greatest hits" are little more than goth karaoke over dance remixes that lack the drama and intensity of their original incarnations.Almost as disappointing as GN'R's reformation 5/10

James,is that you?
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

As this is back to the top Sonisphere 2011 was on Sky Arts last night. Haven't watched it yet
Goths have feelings too
Mav787
One life, all I need

They're weren't on the Sky Arts programme (unless it was in the first 15 minutes which I haven't watched yet). No bands playing in the tent were shown.
Ania
Road Kill

ribbons69 wrote:Nice review in Metal Hammer of the Soni gig.
MetalHammer wrote:Sole original member,the former leather clad rock God Andrew Eldritch is dressed in neon yellow allowing smoke and lighting to create more atmosphere than the music.Their "greatest hits" are little more than goth karaoke over dance remixes that lack the drama and intensity of their original incarnations.Almost as disappointing as GN'R's reformation 5/10
That was UK's Metal Hammer... the Polish Metal Hammer review is a lot different!! I think SOME of the press got slightly annoyed with the band because of a) the delay - all the photographers had to wait at least 10 minutes to be allowed in the pit to take photos - it was late, they wanted to finish work and start partying and b) someone's fake and ironic smiles and then his middle finger :-) I heard so many comments... However, comparing TSOM to GNRs' reformation - not fair, to say the least...