Glastonbury Festival

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
moses
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

So is anyone on this forum going this year?
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

I honestly wouldn't go if it was free,had free beer,and strippers.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

why? glastonbury is a fantastic place.
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Full of f*cking hippies :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

lol, what you saying, markywark?
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'm saying nowt. I don't "do" tents though.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

I read that there will be plenty of toilet paper this year

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-13777301

:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
czuczu
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Full of f*cking hippies :lol:
If only...
Dont forget to take your flag, kids!
Mutters about good old days
DeWinter

Ye gods, I can think of nothing more dreary than the notion than spending a few days in a muddy field with a group of trustafarians. It's a shame, because the town itself is rather fun, watching people shell out ridiculous prices for "healing crystals", and the "spiritual types" wandering around absorbing energy from ley-lines..
I went because of the whole Arthurian connection, of which there's precious little. If I hear one more hippy refer to Glastonbury Tor as "Isle of Avalon" I will throw things..
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
moses

DeWinter wrote: I went because of the whole Arthurian connection, of which there's precious little.
Mabe that's because he never existed :?
DeWinter wrote:If I hear one more hippy refer to Glastonbury Tor as "Isle of Avalon" I will throw things..

But it was an island and it's in, what is now known as, the Vale of Avalon.

I've seen some great bands there over the years, that well known hippy band NIN were excellent. Also the loved up Crusty hippies New Order (actually they were s**t) and the long-haired, Woodstock referencing PULP, Radiohead, Leonard Cohen, Morrisey, Nick Cave, Jesus & Mary Chain.............. Hippies, the lot of them :lol:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The "Arthurian Connection" was invented out of nowhere by the Glastonbury monks in the middle-ages to boost tourism. (Of course it was technically pilgrimage, rather than tourism in those days.)
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

do hippies still go to glastonbury? or are they all middle-class students twatting about in the mud, like every other indie-oriented festival these days?

dont think glasto has been especially hippyfied since the mid 90s has it? :|

it's all just corporate arse these days.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
sam1

Quiff Boy wrote: middle-class students twatting about in the mud, .
that's the funniest f**king thing I have read in ages!! :lol:
moses

All different types go and have fun and it's not just about the bands on the main stages there's a whole heap of crazy s**t going on from the World Famous Burlesque Cabaret Spiegelten Pussy Parlour to some obscure bands in the smaller tents. The corporate crap is on display at such crap fetivals as V and Reading.
You should experience it before you knock it.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yeah, fair enough, my hippy comment was a bit stupid to be honest, wasn't it?
—Bertrand Russell
moses

A tad niave perhaps
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

moses wrote:All different types go and have fun and it's not just about the bands on the main stages there's a whole heap of crazy s**t going on from the World Famous Burlesque Cabaret Spiegelten Pussy Parlour to some obscure bands in the smaller tents. The corporate crap is on display at such crap fetivals as V and Reading.
to be fair, when i was younger i hated the idea of festivals as there was nowhere to plug the crimpers in, and my winklepickers just sank into the mud :lol: ;)

these days i'm too old and curmudgeonly - i'm fairly sure i'd despise about 90% of the f*ckwits there, and from a music point of view the lineups are usually very disappointing - especially at glasto.

i went to V a few years ago (when soft cell got back together) and it was... well.... it was meh

soft cell were great in their little tent, but primal scream on the big stage were deeply disappointing, and i dont recall anyone else apart beta band, who gave me a headache.

i guess i'm just not a huge fan of festivals, or massive outdoor gigs generally.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

moses wrote:A tad niave perhaps
Ta ;D I wasn't really serious, but that doesn't really come across very well.

Come to think of it, it always annoys me when someone posts something offensive and then tries to justify it by saying "I was only joking". So I think I'll stop digging myself any deeper into this hole...
—Bertrand Russell
DeWinter

markfiend wrote:The "Arthurian Connection" was invented out of nowhere by the Glastonbury monks in the middle-ages to boost tourism. (Of course it was technically pilgrimage, rather than tourism in those days.)
I find the Holy Thorn/ Chalice Well/ Jesus and Joseph thing funnier. Ancient British war leader buried here? Possible. Middle-Eastern Jew travels across continent and plants a tree magically? Somewhat less likely..
czuczu
Overbomber

moses wrote:The corporate crap is on display at such crap fetivals as V and Reading.
I've experienced it plenty of times, its increasingly corporate every year and the atmosphere is nothing like it used to be. Have fun if you're going but the only difference between the current glastonbury and the other festivals is location.
DeWinter

moses wrote:
But it was an island and it's in, what is now known as, the Vale of Avalon.

It was an island called "Isle of Glass" in I think Welsh, or Brythonic or whatever was spoken before Anglo-Saxon in the area. Hence Glastonbury. Then centuries later the monks of the abbey needed money for restoration funds and claimed to have dug up the bones of Arthur, Guinevere and Mordred and reburied them without letting anyone see them. Of course nobody wants to call priests liars so it goes unquestioned. The Tor gets identified with Arthur's resting place of Avalon, and hey presto the area around becomes the vale.
I've no objection to a bit of romantic historical speculation, but if you want the Arthur experience you're better off with Cornwall or Wales.
moses

I go most years and the corporate crap is hardly noticable as the festival is not sponsered by Motorola or such like, and if you stick to the smaller fields and venues you won't see any of that nonsense.
Thank you czuczu I will have fun.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

DeWinter wrote:I find the Holy Thorn/ Chalice Well/ Jesus and Joseph thing funnier. Ancient British war leader buried here? Possible. Middle-Eastern Jew travels across continent and plants a tree magically? Somewhat less likely..
Well yes :lol: Having said that, the planted staff growing into a tree is quite a standard mythological trope. Even to the point that David Eddings re-uses it in the Belgariad.

The Wikipedia entry on Joseph of Arimathea is quite interesting. I didn't realise that Arimathea itself isn't otherwise attested...
—Bertrand Russell
moses

DeWinter wrote:
It was an island called "Isle of Glass" in I think Welsh,
Apples - afal - Avalon
DeWinter wrote: I've no objection to a bit of romantic historical speculation, but if you want the Arthur experience you're better off with Cornwall or Wales.
HE DIDN'T EXIST!!! :lol:
DeWinter

moses wrote:
DeWinter wrote:
It was an island called "Isle of Glass" in I think Welsh,
Apples - afal - Avalon
DeWinter wrote: I've no objection to a bit of romantic historical speculation, but if you want the Arthur experience you're better off with Cornwall or Wales.
HE DIDN'T EXIST!!! :lol:
Ynis Wytrin=" Isle of Glassy Waters". It was never identified with Avalon in the legend until the monks of Glastonbury claimed it was written on Arthur's coffin.

And he did!! And he'll come back and save us!! It's just his alarm clock has been playing up recently.. :evil: