Wake 85 video - Eldritch's comments - Marian

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
discogs_tsom
Road Kill

Hello Sisters' fans!
Despite leaving abroad for 6 years and using english language daily, I cannot manage to understand what Andrew is saying when he introduces the song Marian during the Royal Abert Hall concert in !985... :-( any native could help ? :-) "XXXXX Marian" Thanks. Cheers !
James Blast
Banned

he says "mmmnn Marian"

I think
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
sam1
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

maybe he was a teacher at Charlie Browns school !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUyLwXhqlWU
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

"*clears throat*... Marian."
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
AdrenaChris
Amphetamine Filth

it sounds like he says "This was written for Marian" although "hmmmmnnnmgh" probably isn't too far off
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHl09zyrnZo

I've never noticed that before but I can hear kind of two things:

something like: this is ..<mumble>.. marian (pretty silent)
and: Marian (loud and clear)

Funny is that the loud and silent "marian" are kind of overklapping, like some piece of audio has been removed during postprocessing and the remaining ends has been overlapped to get a smooth audio-crossover.

I'm too lazy to dig out and check the "uncensored" audience recording of wake - I'm quite shure this might bring the answere, just compare it.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

he starts with this is called...m then it fades into 'Marian' which is what it does on the Aud versions That is I don't 'think' the 'this is called...' bit came from the gig
Goths have feelings too
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

ah, and thanks to pascal here's the audience shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VxPQ9QeFSk
Husek

i always imagine something like 'ich hoere dich rufen Marian!'
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
mh
Above the Chemist

The audio on Wake is a little odd overall though; comparing with an audience recording there's definite evidence of bits having been chopped out, Doktor intros to a lot of songs removed, other bits switched from one place to another and so on.

Sounds like "this is the next one, Marian" to me, by the way.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
discogs_tsom
Road Kill

Hello All,
Thanks to All of you for your replies!! :notworthy: I did not expect to get so many answers to this wacky crazy question in such little time. :-)
Thanks to DocSommer and his unofficial video, we have now the true answer :-) :P Andy just says "Marian"... not sure if the strange effect was intended by the video makers or if it is just a bug... maybe a merger of a previous comment he had made... :roll: who knows, maybe Andy himself supervised the processing :-) anyway, I am a bit disappointed :cry: I was pretty enthusiast about the "this was written for Marian" as it would connect with the genesis of the lyrics :-) (did he really write it for a german fan Marianne who wrote to him after the turmoil reported in the papers around Gary Marx's departure ?) 8) Thanks again and long live the Sisters ! :-)
Cheers!
James Blast
Banned

cool it on the smileys, eh? ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
mh
Above the Chemist

discogs_tsom wrote:did he really write it for a german fan Marianne who wrote to him after the turmoil reported in the papers around Gary Marx's departure ?
Highly doubtful. Marian dates to mid-84-ish, and Gary was most definitely still in the band at the time (although getting cold feet for sure). What's more there's recorded evidence that the name "Marian" was first used in a Sisters lyric by Mr Marx himself (in the original demo that became FALAA). Also check out Bury Me Deep for another occurrance - also written prior to Gary's departure.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Couper
Road Kill

What he says before Floorshow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbEqcv3kKMk

I'm italian and I don't understand very well english. ;)
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

mh wrote:Marian dates to mid-84-ish, and Gary was most definitely still in the band at the time
Besides which, he plays on the studio recording.
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Couper wrote:What he says before Floorshow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbEqcv3kKMk

I'm italian and I don't understand very well english. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AtcGigt9Rw

:lol:

Well I don't really understand any of the mumbling either - the fiorst words sounds almost german to me, like "Mein Herz sagt..." but even that is nothing more than a poor guess.
Jeremiah
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

It sounds to me like 'and the answer is because it's there.'

But again, that's just a guess.
Sita

discogs_tsom wrote:I did not expect to get so many answers to this wacky crazy question in such little time. :-)
The way things are here, the wacki... err... the more specific the question, the better ;D
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Marian was first played live at York Sept 84. It was then in the set for every gig. Except one, Hamburg 1985 *. Spooky :lol: :lol:

*Legend has it Marian was in the audience
Goths have feelings too
DOZMEISTER
Road Kill

Jeremiah wrote:It sounds to me like 'and the answer is because it's there.'
Thats what i have always thought too.
10-E Rabid
Amphetamine Filth

Okay...... so what always got to me cos I could never figure out what Von was mumbling was at Tiffany's, 85 "Disguised in Black". What does he mumble after the "It's not my fault I'm a skinny bastard". Can somebody put this to rest for me. Bloody mumblers, you'd think "you got a fricken microphone and I still can't hear you :? :roll:
"Go forth and become a happy cabbage"
mh
Above the Chemist

"I was born this way", or "I was born looking like this", can't remember the exact words but that's the gist of it.

(In case anyone missed it, you can just hear an audience member shouting "skinny bastard!" before this bit.)
10-E Rabid
Amphetamine Filth

Ohhhh...that's a great line. I still laugh when I hear that part. "Skinny Bastard" Crowd banter is always fun,though sometimes can be very stupid too. nonetheless this ones good! thanks for that. I must be that that lazy. blame it on the earwax!!!! :)
"Go forth and become a happy cabbage"
Garbageman

The you fat bastard at Reading was a classic
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
Garbageman

The you fat bastard at Reading was a classic
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank