9/11

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Garbageman
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Never should we forget
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Also remember the millions of victims in Afghanistan, Libya, Vietnam and Iraq.

RIP all...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
GC
Slight Overbomber

Garbageman wrote:Never should we forget
We don't have much chance.....
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Also remember the millions of victims in Afghanistan, Libya, Vietnam and Iraq.

RIP all...

IZ.
Absolutely.

As a 'slight' aside, did that 2.3 trillion dollars the pentagon announced as 'unaccounted for' and 'missing' on Sept 10 2001 ever show up?
'What a heavy load Einstein must have had. Morons everywhere.'
Izzy HaveMercy

Gollum's Cock wrote:
Garbageman wrote:Never should we forget
We don't have much chance.....
My thoughts exactly. It's like a new Chili Peppers single. Milked out and rammed down your throat until you get enough of it.

IZ.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Enough for pathos.
R.I.P. to all who died in this attack. I know two men who was really close WTC when things get started, luckily they survived.
R.I.P. to 230K people who died after 9/11 as a result of ongoing wars and terror attacks.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Never should we forget... but also should we learn

Unfortunately we easily forget and we don't actually learn
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Historia magistra vitae est, but not for people in charge.
Garbageman

It should have been a huge lesson but maybe I am a pessimist.
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
Izzy HaveMercy

Garbageman wrote:It should have been a huge lesson but maybe I am a pessimist.
More of a realist, IMO.

IZ.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I wonder what would have happened had W not been appointed president. Would Gore in the White House have handled things differently from Shrub?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

That's a question to those who lives in paraler universe Earth where peole are smarter or where 9/11 simply didn't hapen.
Izzy HaveMercy

markfiend wrote:I wonder what would have happened had W not been appointed president. Would Gore in the White House have handled things differently from Shrub?
I have to say, in hindsight, that this is certainly not a question that kept ME busy.:lol: Then again, foreign politics is not my forte, I only consider results of good or bad politics, the 'what if's are for those that care about such things...

IZ.
sultan2075
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:I wonder what would have happened had W not been appointed president. Would Gore in the White House have handled things differently from Shrub?
No. I don't think so. There was broad agreement about Afghanistan on the left and the right, and the Democrats were supporters of the war in Iraq until it became politically expedient to oppose it ("regime change" in Iraq was Clinton/Gore policy as well, and for the same reasons. The strategic calculus regarding the use of force changed after 9/11). Among Democratic legislators, Dennis "Frodo Baggins" Kucinich is the major exception to this. He's a principled man. Usually wrong, mind you, but respectably and consistently so.

Nor has Obama handled these things terribly different from W.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I would like to state that I am no expert in these matters and that hindsight is a wonderful thing

But..

Wouldn't it have made more sense to have supported local opponents of the bad guys with dosh and weapons rather than go barging in to another unwinnable war

Some chap mentioned earlier about not forgetting - Vietnam seems to have slipped out of the memory banks rather quickly
Jeremiah
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

million voices wrote: Wouldn't it have made more sense to have supported local opponents of the bad guys with dosh and weapons rather than go barging in to another unwinnable war
You mean like they did when the Commies were the bad guys?
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Jeremiah wrote:
million voices wrote: Wouldn't it have made more sense to have supported local opponents of the bad guys with dosh and weapons rather than go barging in to another unwinnable war
Yes
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

sultan2075 wrote:
No. I don't think so. There was broad agreement about Afghanistan on the left and the right, and the Democrats were supporters of the war in Iraq until it became politically expedient to oppose it ("regime change" in Iraq was Clinton/Gore policy as well, and for the same reasons. The strategic calculus regarding the use of force changed after 9/11). Among Democratic legislators, Dennis "Frodo Baggins" Kucinich is the major exception to this. He's a principled man. Usually wrong, mind you, but respectably and consistently so.

Nor has Obama handled these things terribly different from W.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I think too. Maybe Carter would have handled it differently, but no president since...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
damagedone

Zeitgeist
Keep Music Evil
Jeremiah
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

million voices wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:
Yes
So that in another 15 years' time, when the guys they gave the weapons to are the new bad guys, we can play the game again?
Sita

I am terribly sorry for the victims and their friends and families. It was a disgusting crime.
But... only a week or 10 days later, seeing Mick Jagger wave a USA flag and shake his skinny old arse was just the beginning of things getting ugly and the USA losing a lot of sympathies. Things went terribly wrong since (saying this is a bit silly - as if things went better before) - and looking at Lybia and Syria, no one has learned anything. It's sad really. I would feel much better if we at least were honest about it and admit it's simply power politics. It's the hypocrisy that makes me feel tired about the human race.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

just leave the politics aside, just for a few, and pay respects? things don't need analyzing 24/7. sometimes, heart is needed, not head.
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
damagedone

emilystrange wrote:just leave the politics aside, just for a few, and pay respects? things don't need analyzing 24/7. sometimes, heart is needed, not head.
some really sick heads are responsible for this tragedy
Keep Music Evil
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

that's not in dispute! i just don't why, every single time an event is mentioned, that people HAVE to analyze and politicise and dispute. every now and again, it'd be nice if people just bowed their heads and paid respects.
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
Sita

How do you know everyone is not paying respect? For example, I was on a memorial event in the America House in my town on sunday evening. But this is not the guest book of the American embassy, it's a british-based music website, you tend to be "brainy" when you type, etc.