Did the Sisters of Mercy appear on the UK Show The Tube 85?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
nickrog
Road Kill

Did the Sisters of Mercy - lineup Eldritch , Adams & Hussey with Doctor Avalanche appear on the UK Show "The Tube" in 1985 as a prerecorded live Clip ?

This is driving me insane as I remember Muriel Gray introducing the Clip as follows - This is going to be the First and Last time you are ever going to see this Song . Filmed in a disused Cinema in (?) ....

From what I can remember , this was filmed on a stage with Red lighting , Adams (left ) Eldritch (centre stage ) and Hussey (on the right ) with Doctor Avalanche stacked up in the middle .
I also remember columns as part of the stage (but this could have been the lighting effects ).
There was no audience and the Cinema where the Video Clip was being recorded in looked pretty shabby .

The Song - all I recall is that during the chorus there was a close up of Adams then Hussey singing "Dutt dutt " as part of the vocal line and of course , Andrew's deep vocals but that is all I now remember !!!!
Damn , my neurons rewriting themselves !

It is a possible that it was a cover version of something from the 60's or 70's .

Late 2008 , I heard a snippet of the original song's chorus (not the SOM version) or something like it as a mixed up radio dial play through (you know , like when someone is trying to find a station on an old analogue Radio ) on some American TV Cop Drama . So close , damn it .

I recorded the first 30 odds seconds before the VHS tape ended and expected this to be repeated in the evening repeat edition - which it didn't !
I no longer have this Video anymore , lost or chucked away long ago :(
Lost forever .......................

Hell in a Goth Handbag , DID ANYONE SEE THIS !!!!!
Was IT SOM!!! OR was it Some other BAND ?

This was around the time when Gary Marx left the Sisters (then came back for the Old Grey Whistle Test ) Spring 1985 . He did NOT appear in this Clip though - as I said before it was just the 3 Humans and the 1 Drum Machine !

Put me out of my misery , please !!!!!
Either IMAGINATION /MISINTERPRETATION or
THE RAREST SISTERS OF MERCY MYSTERY SONG EVER !!!!!!!
I swear this appearance of the Sisters on the Tube is driving me INSANE .
Garbageman
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Do not recall that
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
Pista
Cureboi

Me neither.
I watched practically every Tube & taped loads of goodies & never saw The Sisters on it.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
James Blast
Banned

nup
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

Doesn't ring a bell, but I know what you mean about the whole 'recalling fantastic s**t that never actually happened" thing. I got it all my life with most things I love - I guess it's the subconscious benevolently trying to slip you something extra when you're hungry for more. Or maybe we're just nuts.
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
mh
Above the Chemist

Sounds like imagination/misinterpretation to me. Maybe someone showed a clip from Wake somewhere sometime and fried braincells are getting things mixed up? :?:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I remember t'Mission being on the Tube, but never the Sisters.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Remains a huge mystery to me, why The Sisters & The Chameleons never performed on the Tube. Both were recording & touring during the Tubes history & the Sisters in particular were a massive cult band in 1984-85.

Off the top of my head they are pretty much the only two indie/alternative bands of that size, from that era that were never featured.

Does anyone know if the Sisters were ever invited on to perform but were unavailable on their invited date?
Give me one good reason
Pista
Cureboi

Spiggy's hat wrote:Remains a huge mystery to me, why The Sisters & The Chameleons never performed on the Tube. Both were recording & touring during the Tubes history & the Sisters in particular were a massive cult band in 1984-85.

Off the top of my head they are pretty much the only two indie/alternative bands of that size, from that era that were never featured.

Does anyone know if the Sisters were ever invited on to perform but were unavailable on their invited date?
Same thoughts here. I almost convinced myself that they had done it & I'd simply missed it. But given the stark absence of any video shares or even yoochoob stuff I can rest easy.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
robertzombie
Overbomber

The video described kind of sounds like the promo video for No Time To Cry.

One of these perhaps?

http://youtu.be/S9iaqTsU2Gs

http://youtu.be/m44yh8hSOCE
Dan
Overbomber

Maybe it's memories of seeing the Body & Soul promo video (were any of the promo videos shown on The Tube?) mixed up with memories of Whistle Test and other bands?

Spiggy's hat wrote:Does anyone know if the Sisters were ever invited on to perform but were unavailable on their invited date?
One thing that maybe almost happened...

An old press cutting for some concerts at Brixton Ace states "A Concert For T.V. Presents. All shows are being recorded for Ch 4". One of the concerts in the list is the Sisters 19th Feb 1983.
During that time there was a Channel 4 show called "Whatever You Want" that used to show footage filmed at Brixton Ace, so that's likely to be the show the stuff was being filmed for... but songs from the Sisters performance were never shown... I don't even know if it was even filmed.

Come to think of it, has ANY Sisters concert footage EVER been shown on TV?? (Apart from Wake, obviously). The only thing that I can think of is I have an audio of Tony & Tim being interviewed on "MTV 120 Minutes" in 1991 and between the interview clips you can hear bits of live songs, but as it's only audio I've never known what was on screen during these bits. Has anyone seen this clip?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Dan wrote:Come to think of it, has ANY Sisters concert footage EVER been shown on TV?? (Apart from Wake, obviously).
Was Wake on TV? I never knew that.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dan
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
Dan wrote:Come to think of it, has ANY Sisters concert footage EVER been shown on TV?? (Apart from Wake, obviously).
Was Wake on TV? I never knew that.
Yeah, on ITV's "Cue The Music". I taped it in case there was anything different about it, but there didn't seem to be so I taped over it.
I'd also assume music channels like MTV would have shown the odd song from it?
abridged
Slight Overbomber

The were on the Old Grey Whistle Test and of course Top of the Pops and assorted ITV equivalents. :D
The Chancer Corporation
Dan
Overbomber

Of course. I meant specifically concert footage.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

robertzombie wrote:The video described kind of sounds like the promo video for No Time To Cry.

One of these perhaps?

http://youtu.be/S9iaqTsU2Gs

http://youtu.be/m44yh8hSOCE
How long did :von: wear that snakeskin effect shirt for ? He had it on throughout the FALAA period and was still wearing it on the 1989 co-hosting of Offbeat on German TV (subtitled by DocSommer on Youtube which Sita reminded us of in another thread). I suppose savings had to be made somewhere if you blow all the money on a videoshoot in Petra.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:How long did :von: wear that snakeskin effect shirt for ? He had it on throughout the FALAA period and was still wearing it on the 1989 co-hosting of Offbeat on German TV (subtitled by DocSommer on Youtube which Sita reminded us of in another thread). I suppose savings had to be made somewhere if you blow all the money on a videoshoot in Petra.
To be fair, he probably washed it a few times and may even have worn something else on some days. But he's a man and we don't throw anything out unless it's totally unfit for purpose or a woman does it while we're out.
Being645
Above the Chemist

itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Machine Regime wrote:I guess it's the subconscious benevolently trying to slip you something extra when you're hungry for more.
Finally Freud has a rival.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
playboy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Dan wrote:Maybe it's memories of seeing the Body & Soul promo video (were any of the promo videos shown on The Tube?) mixed up with memories of Whistle Test and other bands?

Spiggy's hat wrote:Does anyone know if the Sisters were ever invited on to perform but were unavailable on their invited date?

An old press cutting for some concerts at Brixton Ace states "A Concert For T.V. Presents. All shows are being recorded for Ch 4". One of the concerts in the list is the Sisters 19th Feb 1983.
During that time there was a Channel 4 show called "Whatever You Want" that used to show footage filmed at Brixton Ace, so that's likely to be the show the stuff was being filmed for... but songs from the Sisters performance were never shown... I don't even know if it was even filmed.

Come to think of it, has ANY Sisters concert footage EVER been shown on TV?? (Apart from Wake, obviously). The only thing that I can think of is I have an audio of Tony & Tim being interviewed on "MTV 120 Minutes" in 1991 and between the interview clips you can hear bits of live songs, but as it's only audio I've never known what was on screen during these bits. Has anyone seen this clip?[/quote

A video from the MTV:s vaults exists with clips from First And Last And Always and This Corrosion live somwhere in USA. I think it was in 1991 but I could be wrong here.
Also included is a long interview with Andrew. The whole thing is unedited. The interview is in full and I think that the camera is filming both before and after the interview, with Andrew saying hello to crew, getting mices on or whatever.
I know that during "commercial brakes" the camera was rolling and instead of commercial we get to see Andrew chatting and so on...

I am not sure even an edited version of this was ever shown on tv.
playboy

Dan wrote:Maybe it's memories of seeing the Body & Soul promo video (were any of the promo videos shown on The Tube?) mixed up with memories of Whistle Test and other bands?

Come to think of it, has ANY Sisters concert footage EVER been shown on TV?? (Apart from Wake, obviously). The only thing that I can think of is I have an audio of Tony & Tim being interviewed on "MTV 120 Minutes" in 1991 and between the interview clips you can hear bits of live songs, but as it's only audio I've never known what was on screen during these bits. Has anyone seen this clip?
I just posted this but accidently did something so it is not easy to see why I wrote (maybe) so here it is again. Sorry, mates.

A video from the MTV:s vaults exists with clips from First And Last And Always and This Corrosion live somwhere in USA. I think it was in 1991 but I could be wrong here.
Also included is a long interview with Andrew. The whole thing is unedited. The interview is in full and I think that the camera is filming both before and after the interview, with Andrew saying hello to crew, getting mices on or whatever.
I know that during "commercial brakes" the camera was rolling and instead of commercial we get to see Andrew chatting and so on...

SteBacchus
Amphetamine Filth

playboy wrote:A video from the MTV:s vaults exists with clips from First And Last And Always and This Corrosion live somwhere in USA. I think it was in 1991 but I could be wrong here.

I'd love to see that, it sounds pretty cool 8) :von: :D
I don't doubt and I don't take direction....
lachert
Overbomber

playboy wrote:A video from the MTV:s vaults exists with clips from First And Last And Always and This Corrosion live somwhere in USA. I think it was in 1991 but I could be wrong here.
this video is from phoenix 19-4-91, only 2 minutes shooted with hand camera form left of the stage iirc.
long live rock'n'roll
playboy

lachert wrote:
this video is from phoenix 19-4-91, only 2 minutes shooted with hand camera form left of the stage iirc.
Thanks for the info. My memory tells me it was filmed from the mixing desk, but I have not seen this for some ten years or so. You cannot always trust your mind.....
Is my memory serving me right about the songs?
lachert
Overbomber

playboy wrote:
lachert wrote:
Thanks for the info. My memory tells me it was filmed from the mixing desk, but I have not seen this for some ten years or so. You cannot always trust your mind.....
Is my memory serving me right about the songs?
i've seen only fragment from falaa, no this corrosion.
long live rock'n'roll