So much for relativity

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

moses
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

'This doesn't mean Albert Einstein was wrong, any more than his theory of Special Relativity meant Isac Newton was wrong. '
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

If it turn out to be true it will mean that Einstein was right about atoms. He didn't got same tools and knowledge like Mr and Mrs from CERN.
Salome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Dr Whitehouse said the findings technically meant that time travel might be possible.
Now that I want to see! 8)
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Salome wrote:
Dr Whitehouse said the findings technically meant that time travel might be possible.
Now that I want to see! 8)
I think I saw a film about that back in the 80's.
As for Einstein - anyone can make a wee mistake.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

There could be a wealth of alternative explanations - extradimensional transference, or maybe a new form of energy field we haven't yet encountered...

The possibilities are endless! We live in exciting times.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The smart money is on it being an error in the measurements.

*Edit to add: seems xkcd agrees with me:

Anyone want to bet $200? :twisted:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

moses wrote:'This doesn't mean Albert Einstein was wrong, any more than his theory of Special Relativity meant Isac Newton was wrong. '
No but it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. And it should remind us all that many absolute scientific truths only remain true until someone comes up with a better truth. The world ain't flat any more either.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Yes, and that is what we call 'progress'.
and btw.- I just bought 'brief history of time'; it looks that I can throw it now. :lol:
James Blast
Banned

"We don't allow faster than light neutrinos in here" said the bartender.
A neutrino walks into a bar.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
moses
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

stufarq wrote: No but it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. And it should remind us all that many absolute scientific truths only remain true until someone comes up with a better truth. The world ain't flat any more either.
There are no truths in science, only questions and theories
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

moses wrote:There are no truths in science, only questions and theories
Technically that is the case, but...

If (and it's a big if) the result is confirmed, and the neutrinos really were travelling faster than light, it just means that there are borderline circumstances in which relativity isn't a complete description. (And we knew that anyway; relativity can't currently be reconciled with quantum theory at the sub-atomic scale.)

The computer you're reading this on, your sat-nav, your DVD player, and all sorts of other things, all rely on relativity being "true" in all other circumstances.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I don't really understand

Are they now saying that relativity is only relatively true

or is it

These neutrino johnnies haven't yet been drugs tested
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

They said that it was tested 1500 times. Special deliveries from Switzerland to Italy.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

timsinister wrote:There could be a wealth of alternative explanations - extradimensional transference, or maybe a new form of energy field we haven't yet encountered...

The possibilities are endless! We live in exciting times.
Judging by your current avatar I suspect that you know more about this than you're letting on, Tim :)